Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    ... but you're talking about theory. What matters to me are practical results, not looking good in theory.
    No, all this has practical consequences for many people, just not for 1st world consumers like us (unfortunately).

I get that you are pissed about that, but I can't do anything about it. I would if I could.

All I'm fishing for is some kind of acknowledgment that I didn't waste my time trying to answer the question you posed, which was "why MS releasing their own phone wouldn't smooth any bump in the update process".... at least not in the way it did for Google with their Nexus line.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Another method of updating is to implement something like windows update on the desktop. On Domain computers, the administrator (carriers) push out updates but you can still manually search for updates on the internet. This allows the carrier to control the masses but still allows the power users to get the updates early.

What I would hate to see in WP is Android like fragmentation. I'm over having to root and install custom ROMs just to get things working.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooKing#WP View Post
    This is what happens when Apple bypasses carrier testing.
    Are you sure Apple bypassed carrier testing? I doubt even Apple could pull that off!

Carrier testing actually isn't that concerned about user facing features in the first place. It's not as much about the user experience, as it is about securing the integrity of their networks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BHFH View Post

What I would hate to see in WP is Android like fragmentation. I'm over having to root and install custom ROMs just to get things working.
    Although that is recently starting to improve. Most of this year's lineup are launching with either Jelly Bean or Key Lime Pie and I've noticed most of the OEMs are pushing their updates a bit faster than they used to.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    No, all this has practical consequences for many people, just not for 1st world consumers like us (unfortunately).

I get that you are pissed about that, but I can't do anything about it. I would if I could.

All I'm fishing for is some kind of acknowledgment that I didn't waste my time trying to answer the question you posed, which was "why MS releasing their own phone wouldn't smooth any bump in the update process".... at least not in the way it did for Google with their Nexus line.
    a5cent, you did an excellent job explaining the whys and hows. Unfortunately, that does nothing to alleviate the concerns of the "I want it now" crowd.

That is the problem, but at the same time, when Apple wants to do a quick patch to fix one thing (such as the battery drain), they can. A few little updates, with bug fixes, etc., that Microsoft released for WP7 were never released to the users by the carriers; this wouldn't happen if Microsoft pushed updates themselves.

Months ago Microsoft announced an early update program for enthusiast users to bypass the carrier.

Some details emerge about future Windows Phone 8 update program for enthusiast users | Windows Phone Central
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...s-phone-8.aspx

I was particularly interested in this because I have a HTC Mozart that still hasn't received the keyboard fix/security certificates updates.

I've been looking around and there hasn't been any news or even mention from Microsoft about this ever since the initial annoucement. I'm really hoping this isn't a 'broken promise' because being denied updates to annoying bugs by my carrier is really frustrating!

OK, this is my last thread on this topic.

1) Microsoft needs to offer OS updates to its users on a timely basis. 2) These updates need to be made available to all users virtually at once. 3) Carriers cannot be permitted to substantially delay (Or even no provide) these updates to their users. 4) More of the big time applications (Instagram, for instance.)

It really is irrelevant what Microsoft does now or how Google updates Android. If they, MSFT, want to be a major player in the smartphone market, they need to at least offer parity with the iPhone and, preferably a noticeably better user experience. Right now they have a good base but hardly parity in terms of software updates or available applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbsteph1 View Post
    It really is irrelevant what Microsoft does now or how Google updates Android.
    Yes, just as it is irrelevant to know that the world is a globe and not a flat plane, or just as it is irrelevant to know that the earth rotates around the sun, or just as it is irrelevant to know that Thor, Poseidon and Zeus never actually existed. Some of us just have more curious minds I guess.

Everyone of us agrees on where WP needs to go. Sometimes, it's just nice to have a thread about learning, instead of just complaining, don't you think?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12