Internet Explorer doesn't let me type in large text fields on forums?

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I.E. for this fourm or the other fourm I frequent very much - Facepunch

As soon as I select a text field, the keyboard comes up and then immediatly goes away and deselects the text field. I've -never- had this issue with any other browser on any other device. Text fields such as login/password (stuff that is only one line long) are fine, but any text fields like "REPLY" or whatever supports more than just plain text it immediately does what I described above.

I tried the top rated free browser in the market - I like its UI much more (then again, I probably didn't fully learn how to use the IE browser yet... new phone!), but it has the same exact issue, which tells me that it simply uses the IE browser as a base and just is a simple UI change for it.

Anyone have any solutions to this, or alternate browsers that don't have this issue? This is a pretty huge deal breaker for me since I frequent the above forum and several others (that are based on the similar posting systems) and being able to only browse using my phone would be a huge bummer.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I occasionally have this problem with this site on WP8 and my Surface RT. I don't know what it is and am surprised there hasn't been more complaints about it. Perhaps its because many went with the wpcentral app to access these forums.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Guess I just need to get tapatalk or something. I prefer using web interface though because it shows everything in the formatting that the forum is designed for with all the features the forum has.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The problem is two fold.
1. Webkit uses a non-standard somewhat hacked together touch API, Internet Explorer adheres to web standards in this instance.

2. The web programmers on those sites are coding to work with the proprietary webkit API and not coding to the standards like they should.

And Google seems perfectly happy with making webkit the new IE6, and those web programmers seem perfectly content to play along and let Google control the web. So who knows if this will ever change.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about other sites. But if I do the spread fingers zoom on the reply area, the cursor is in the box and keyboard stays. And I can reply with no problem. Same on my Surface RT.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about other sites. But if I do the spread fingers zoom on the reply area, the cursor is in the box and keyboard stays. And I can reply with no problem. Same on my Surface RT.

Doesn't do anything for me. If I select it and then picnh zoom I get the cursor in the box, but not keyboard.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The problem is two fold.
1. Webkit uses a non-standard somewhat hacked together touch API, Internet Explorer adheres to web standards in this instance.

2. The web programmers on those sites are coding to work with the proprietary webkit API and not coding to the standards like they should.

And Google seems perfectly happy with making webkit the new IE6, and those web programmers seem perfectly content to play along and let Google control the web. So who knows if this will ever change.

Don't spread such a lie, please.

It's the way the OS handles touch based events. Nothing to do with WebKit

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't spread such a lie, please.

It's the way the OS handles touch based events. Nothing to do with WebKit

it is no lie, do your research.

Edit: here I will do some for you.

Pointer Events is a draft specification that provides a unified event model for multi-touch, pen, and mouse input. It's the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) second attempt at a standard for handling touch input. The first specification, Touch Events, has been essentially abandoned. Touch Events were modeled on the proprietary touch API that Apple added to Safari for the iPhone. However, the specification was written without Apple's involvement, and the Cupertino company refuses to commit to disclosure and royalty-free licensing of any patented technology that might cover the Touch Events spec.

The contribution comes not long after Redmond encouraged Web developers to remember Internet Explorer and not assume that WebKit is the only rendering engine that's used on the mobile, touch-oriented Web. At the moment, touch-driven Web content is leaving Internet Explorer 10 (and hence Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8) behind, because it is being written for WebKit and Touch Events, and WebKit and Touch Events alone.

Tl;dr:
Pointer events, open standard, used by IE.
Touch events, proprietary webkit unlicensed and inferior, used by webkit and far too many developers.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
it is no lie, do your research.

Edit: here I will do some for you.

Pointer Events is a draft specification that provides a unified event model for multi-touch, pen, and mouse input. It's the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) second attempt at a standard for handling touch input. The first specification, Touch Events, has been essentially abandoned. Touch Events were modeled on the proprietary touch API that Apple added to Safari for the iPhone. However, the specification was written without Apple's involvement, and the Cupertino company refuses to commit to disclosure and royalty-free licensing of any patented technology that might cover the Touch Events spec.

Hmmm ok. Still has nothing to do with WebKit or Google or Apple.

But hey, whatever you believe.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Whatever the cause its pretty sad that the phone these forums are promoting has issues posting here. The forum needs an update to fix this.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Here's what i have to do sometimes:

Click on "go advanced" and click on the title field to bring the keyboard up, then press and hold on the body/reply field until the cursor appears and the keyboard should stay up.

Some say the mobile vs desktop option in the IE settings makes a difference, but I've found it happens either way.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Here's what i have to do sometimes:

Click on "go advanced" and click on the title field to bring the keyboard up, then press and hold on the body/reply field until the cursor appears and the keyboard should stay up.

Some say the mobile vs desktop option in the IE settings makes a difference, but I've found it happens either way.
Wow thanks that dies the trick! Still annoying but at least my forums are now usable.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, I found an alternate fix for fourms that don't have a title area to trick the keyboard up.

Using UC Browser (which is free, and works just like IE except with more functionality) you can enable "Speed Mode" which turns the web page into a text only/simple environment. What you do then is go into "Go Advanced" when making a reply, turn on speed mode, and then you should be able to select and enter in your reply without any issues. Submit reply, then switch speed mode off to view full web pages again. Downside is, because its a simple text box you make your reply in while you are in "Speed Mode", typing suggestions, auto-correct (i.e. capitilzation) etc doesn't happen while you type.

It's annoying you have to take these steps but AFAIK this will work for any website no matter what, making WP8 usable to make replies on web forums.

Hopefully they just fix this in the future though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb