Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74
Like Tree62Likes
  1. LazySunday's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
       #1  
    I'm quite intrigued and disturbed by the news in these forums over the last week. First, I loved the amazing piece of hardware launched by HTC today (HTC One). They are being really innovate like Nokia and unlike Samsung :P What made me feel jealous is why all this tech not coming to WP 8 anytime soon? Well, on the other hand, I really got pissed with Skype team handing out improvements to already functional program on Android and iOS. If they have some many engineers lying idle, why can't they fix and bring Skype out of preview rather than improving the already functional ones?

    Now, who is working on the ecosystem? Only Nokia with Elop stressing on Ecosystem and paying EA or influencing them to port games to WP8 with some exclusives to Lumias? It's been almost a month since Daniel did a nice piece of editorial on what WP8 needs immediately. There were many such editorials from other websites as well. The only response we got from our beloved WP8 captain Joe Belfiore is asking us to wait, while he finishes playing on his Android :( I don't care what device he is testing or playing with... What I want is before more and more people like me feel betrayed that WP8 is not what was promised a year ago. So far it has been a rehashed version of WP CE on NT kernel... I mean when am I gonna get a full capable multitasking?

    Today I was ending a call on Skype and immediately my L920 started playing a song I quite two days ago (apparently, it was paused and tombstoned in background). But what triggered it to play is still a suspense to me... Rant aside who is going to fulfill the promises of WP8 claimed...Or may be i just misunderstood the definition of multitasking... Integration of WP8 with W8 and our living room systems like Xbox 360 would be another big topic. Heck we don't even have DLNA capability yet. (Agree that it is coming soon). But I'm still not finding any ecosystem on the horizon yet. What's MS doing here? Can anyone?
    Last edited by HeyCori; 02-19-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Needlessly long, potentially inflammatory title
  2. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #2  
    Ahh man again... Who wants to go first?
  3. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,437 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,617 Global Posts
    #3  
    Sigh.
    Jazmac likes this.
  4. slashd0t's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #4  
    I can tell you this. If MSFT doesn't announce anything of interest in regards to WP at MWC I'm out..

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
    I can tell you this. If MSFT doesn't announce anything of interest in regards to WP at MWC I'm out..

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    What phone do you own? says you're posting from a Nexus 4
  6. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #6  
    Just because you don't see or hear about it on an every day basis, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Look at what happened with the Portico release. They said something was coming, and instantly people started complaining because it wasn't happening fast enough/immediate. I think announcing future plans is a huge mistake in this industry, because people will want it NOW, cause you to release prematurely, and then gripe when it doesn't function 100%.

    Be patient, or get out. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you chose to buy a product based on announced future capabilities, and are no longer willing to wait, then leave.
    Thanked by:
  7. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    Just because you don't see or hear about it on an every day basis, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Look at what happened with the Portico release. They said something was coming, and instantly people started complaining because it wasn't happening fast enough/immediate. I think announcing future plans is a huge mistake in this industry, because people will want it NOW, cause you to release prematurely, and then gripe when it doesn't function 100%.

    Be patient, or get out. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you chose to buy a product based on announced future capabilities, and are no longer willing to wait, then leave.
    Was going to rant but ^^^This^^^ basically covers it
  8. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    Be patient..
    That's extremely hard when expecting stuff from Microsoft. They move a glacial speeds. I'm not saying all this stuff that people want has to be delivered to phones tomorrow, but man, it's rough out there for a WP fan.
  9. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    That's extremely hard when expecting stuff from Microsoft. They move a glacial speeds. I'm not saying all this stuff that people want has to be delivered to phones tomorrow, but man, it's rough out there for a WP fan.
    True, but at the same time, one should never, EVER buy a tech product based on anticipated features yet to be released - unless they are absolutely willing to never receive said features.

    Now if they had said "By Jan 1, we will have these applications, and this specific functionality.." then you have an argument. But they didn't. They only said they are working on getting it in there. I'm pretty sure, they still are. So the same story as when you bought the phone still applies. These are unreleased future plans. Nothing has changed.
  10. #10  
    I hate to chime in but I read a post and says "man it's rough for WP fans out there" - I agree with this sentiment. The awesome, sexy flagship Lumia is all well and good, for me it does everything I need. But I went for a friend who has owned a low end Android for his life. Today, he showed me his Galaxy Note 2. This was in response to my showing off of Lumia I did for last 1 month. He chose not to buy it because of same reasons we've read a zillion times - apps, freezes, crashes, camera issue, no app to replace toilet tissues, no app to put the sit down etc. etc. etc.

    I played with his Galaxy Note 2. These are my honest words: I'm jealous of his battery life. I know it's 3100 mAh but then it's HUGE screen as well. I couldn't stand the lag in the OS, the UI, the widgets made me crawl back into fetal position and cry for him. But honestly, I saw what he had pinned to his home screen. Those apps that we don't have. Those widget short cuts, those volume controls etc - was all there in front of me.

    I see why the OP has to write that post and why it is totally OK. I see why those tiny features are so important for so many people more than the overall beauty of the OS. But I quote my friend:
    "I wouldn't date a beautiful and hot looking girl when I know she can't even make me a sandwich next morning".

    I see why many peeps will jump in to defend the OS that is so beautiful, but like about 100 other threads already on this board, we know we lack features, they NEED to be here soon, but posting on these boards changes nothing. Love the beauty of your phone (at least try to!) because no matter how powerful feature packed those other devices look, as soon as you use it for 10 minutes, you will miss what beauty, elegance and easy work flow you easily ignore because you don't have an app or feature that you use only twice a day v/s the UI that you NEED to use every time you unlock your phone!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  11. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,887 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,888 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    True, but at the same time, one should never, EVER buy a tech product based on anticipated features yet to be released - unless they are absolutely willing to never receive said features.
    If we applied that reasoning to WP then no one would have bought one because it has never had a full complement of features expected of a modern smartphone but right from the start Microsoft said they would bring needed features to the platform. So a few people bought the new OS because of its fresh take on smartphones but now in its 3rd year there are still missing features and Microsoft doesn't seem to be in any hurry to address the situation.

    This is why this topic seems to come up repeatedly, because WP users have been expecting Microsoft to actually make the OS competitive and actually move ahead in functionality for 2+ years now but we seem to be in the perpetual situation of waiting for the next update to "fix" the OS. Maybe there is a point to buying only when each feature you want is implemented but did anyone realistically foresee that Microsoft would be so incompetent that they could not provide features e.g. like a decent music player that can edit playlists in the 3rd year of the platform's life?

    I don't think anyone has any unrealistic expectations of WP but when it seems the platform is at a standstill while competitors forge ahead its no wonder people question the OS and the commitment of the concerned parties and why despite some innovative features it still has a minute share of the smartphone market and ultimately, why many WP users are voicing frustration.
  12. sirgrant618's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I hate to chime in but I read a post and says "man it's rough for WP fans out there" - I agree with this sentiment. The awesome, sexy flagship Lumia is all well and good, for me it does everything I need. But I went for a friend who has owned a low end Android for his life. Today, he showed me his Galaxy Note 2. This was in response to my showing off of Lumia I did for last 1 month. He chose not to buy it because of same reasons we've read a zillion times - apps, freezes, crashes, camera issue, no app to replace toilet tissues, no app to put the sit down etc. etc. etc.

    I played with his Galaxy Note 2. These are my honest words: I'm jealous of his battery life. I know it's 3100 mAh but then it's HUGE screen as well. I couldn't stand the lag in the OS, the UI, the widgets made me crawl back into fetal position and cry for him. But honestly, I saw what he had pinned to his home screen. Those apps that we don't have. Those widget short cuts, those volume controls etc - was all there in front of me.

    I see why the OP has to write that post and why it is totally OK. I see why those tiny features are so important for so many people more than the overall beauty of the OS. But I quote my friend:
    "I wouldn't date a beautiful and hot looking girl when I know she can't even make me a sandwich next morning".

    I see why many peeps will jump in to defend the OS that is so beautiful, but like about 100 other threads already on this board, we know we lack features, they NEED to be here soon, but posting on these boards changes nothing. Love the beauty of your phone (at least try to!) because no matter how powerful feature packed those other devices look, as soon as you use it for 10 minutes, you will miss what beauty, elegance and easy work flow you easily ignore because you don't have an app or feature that you use only twice a day v/s the UI that you NEED to use every time you unlock your phone!

    Beautifully put.
    jdhooghe likes this.
  13. LazySunday's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    True, but at the same time, one should never, EVER buy a tech product based on anticipated features yet to be released - unless they are absolutely willing to never receive said features.

    Now if they had said "By Jan 1, we will have these applications, and this specific functionality.." then you have an argument. But they didn't. They only said they are working on getting it in there. I'm pretty sure, they still are. So the same story as when you bought the phone still applies. These are unreleased future plans. Nothing has changed.
    I'd agree with you on this partially. But then, they shouldn't have promised the future functionality. Not giving a date doesn't mean they don't have to stick to their promises. Like in our case, Skype integration was promised... isn't it? Moreover, Lumia is being marketed as a complete Business phone, yet I'm still looking for VPN and fully functional adobe pdf reader in it... At least stick to what you claim or promise is my biggest complaint. I'm not even mentioning many of the other simple yet annoying issues as detailed by rocktstarrzzz... It's not like I'm paying my money in bits and pieces. I brought a phone which means I've paid for the software to be given with the phone as promised. Its not that I'm paying some money after they install skype... So where is my money's worth?
    aubreyq likes this.
  14. WasteSomeTime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #14  
    Ok let's not talk about this.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex
  15. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,719 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #15  
    You don't get the point of Windows Phone 8. Allow me to stress my point.

    WinMo = WinXP
    WP7 = WinXP with the restrictions of Mac OS
    WP8 = Vista

    WP8 is supposed to be under the hood. It is way harder to put a kernel originally designed for desktops on phones and tablets.
    Vista fixed the flaws of XP, but was generally just a beta when it came out.
    Win7 is merely a reskinned Vista (with *some* improvements)
  16. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTraveler View Post
    You don't get the point of Windows Phone 8. Allow me to stress my point.

    WinMo = WinXP
    WP7 = WinXP with the restrictions of Mac OS
    WP8 = Vista

    WP8 is supposed to be under the hood. It is way harder to put a kernel originally designed for desktops on phones and tablets.
    Vista fixed the flaws of XP, but was generally just a beta when it came out.
    Win7 is merely a reskinned Vista (with *some* improvements)
    So basically everything is Vista?
  17. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #17  
    At this point I might as well wait for Windows Phone Blue.
  18. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazySunday View Post
    I'm quite intrigued and disturbed by the news in these forums over the last week. First, I loved the amazing piece of hardware launched by HTC today (HTC One). They are being really innovate like Nokia and unlike Samsung :P What made me feel jealous is why all this tech not coming to WP 8 anytime soon?
    This shouldn't bother you. HTC will be releasing a higher specced WP8 counterpart to their HTC One android release soon. The only thing they're not bringing over is the same camera because they've already stated the WP8 OS structure won't allow that exact same camera technology. Nokia will release something, and LG have also announced they'll be bringing over a WP8 version of their Optimus G as well (which got really good reviews btw).
  19. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazySunday View Post
    I'd agree with you on this partially. But then, they shouldn't have promised the future functionality. Not giving a date doesn't mean they don't have to stick to their promises. Like in our case, Skype integration was promised... isn't it? Moreover, Lumia is being marketed as a complete Business phone, yet I'm still looking for VPN and fully functional adobe pdf reader in it... At least stick to what you claim or promise is my biggest complaint. I'm not even mentioning many of the other simple yet annoying issues as detailed by rocktstarrzzz... It's not like I'm paying my money in bits and pieces. I brought a phone which means I've paid for the software to be given with the phone as promised. Its not that I'm paying some money after they install skype... So where is my money's worth?
    But the thing is... They never said when they were going to release Skype. I am absolutely 100% positive that it will be released as an integrated part of the OS, just like they said they would. NOTHING indicates otherwise. In fact, their not releasing another updates app for it leads me to believe this is more the case than ever. How do you release an OS integrated Skype? They have to wait for an OS update. At the same time, releasing an OS update just to roll Skype in, is a wasted opportunity to tuck in a bunch of other features and fixes - like support for CalDAV. Releasing another OS update is especially unlikely at present, because the previous OS update is still in the process of rolling out. I admit, some carriers have not handled that well, but that doesn't mean MS isn't working on Skype for WP8.

    Everything I have seen indicates MS is dedicated to it's 3 prong ecosystem of Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, and Windows Phone 8. Being familiar with how these things are developed and rolled out, I would be surprised if there was any variation in the path that they have taken. They are in the process of making huge backend changes to Skype, which will enable the OS integration everybody is pining for. But they have to wait for the right window to roll out an OS update.
  20. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    They never said when they were going to release Skype...Everything I have seen indicates MS is dedicated to it's 3 prong ecosystem of Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, and Windows Phone 8...they have to wait for the right window to roll out an OS update.
    The problem is how slow this is happening. I don't know how MS keeps touting this 3-screen experience when they're not quite there yet. The Skype thing, well people are frustrated that iOS and Android are good to go while what's supposed to be the premier platform for Skype has poo for an app. And I'm sorry but "waiting for the right window" IS what is killing Microsoft right now in the mobile market. They need to speed things up. As far as I understand, MS won't be officially present at MWC 2013. No, they don't have to be but they need to stay relevant and talked about. I seriously don't know what's going on with MS but dragging things out is not helping. Maybe we'll get a "hero" phone every 4 months to keep the interest going, but we need MS to correct the WP8 nags and leap ahead, not catch up.
    LazySunday likes this.
  21. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    But the thing is... They never said when they were going to release Skype. I am absolutely 100% positive that it will be released as an integrated part of the OS, just like they said they would. NOTHING indicates otherwise. In fact, their not releasing another updates app for it leads me to believe this is more the case than ever. How do you release an OS integrated Skype? They have to wait for an OS update. At the same time, releasing an OS update just to roll Skype in, is a wasted opportunity to tuck in a bunch of other features and fixes - like support for CalDAV. Releasing another OS update is especially unlikely at present, because the previous OS update is still in the process of rolling out. I admit, some carriers have not handled that well, but that doesn't mean MS isn't working on Skype for WP8.

    Everything I have seen indicates MS is dedicated to it's 3 prong ecosystem of Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, and Windows Phone 8. Being familiar with how these things are developed and rolled out, I would be surprised if there was any variation in the path that they have taken. They are in the process of making huge backend changes to Skype, which will enable the OS integration everybody is pining for. But they have to wait for the right window to roll out an OS update.
    Carrier updates won't always take forever. Portico pertained to certain features that were carrier specific. That means they had to check compatibility because the way it worked with their system changed.

    Do you really think when Microsoft adds a notification center, for example, carrier's will need to approve it? No, because a notification center will not break or change the way it works with the carrier. Fixing sim card errors is carrier dependent. Most other changes are not.
  22. aggie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    762 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I hate to chime in but I read a post and says "man it's rough for WP fans out there" - I agree with this sentiment. The awesome, sexy flagship Lumia is all well and good, for me it does everything I need. But I went for a friend who has owned a low end Android for his life. Today, he showed me his Galaxy Note 2. This was in response to my showing off of Lumia I did for last 1 month. He chose not to buy it because of same reasons we've read a zillion times - apps, freezes, crashes, camera issue, no app to replace toilet tissues, no app to put the sit down etc. etc. etc.

    I played with his Galaxy Note 2. These are my honest words: I'm jealous of his battery life. I know it's 3100 mAh but then it's HUGE screen as well. I couldn't stand the lag in the OS, the UI, the widgets made me crawl back into fetal position and cry for him. But honestly, I saw what he had pinned to his home screen. Those apps that we don't have. Those widget short cuts, those volume controls etc - was all there in front of me.

    I see why the OP has to write that post and why it is totally OK. I see why those tiny features are so important for so many people more than the overall beauty of the OS. But I quote my friend:
    "I wouldn't date a beautiful and hot looking girl when I know she can't even make me a sandwich next morning".

    I see why many peeps will jump in to defend the OS that is so beautiful, but like about 100 other threads already on this board, we know we lack features, they NEED to be here soon, but posting on these boards changes nothing. Love the beauty of your phone (at least try to!) because no matter how powerful feature packed those other devices look, as soon as you use it for 10 minutes, you will miss what beauty, elegance and easy work flow you easily ignore because you don't have an app or feature that you use only twice a day v/s the UI that you NEED to use every time you unlock your phone!
    This is the single biggest reason my SIM always finds its way back to my Note 2. I love Windows Phone and the Lumia. The OS is the most beautiful and cohesive out there. Android, even vanilla android on the Nexus 4, is all over the place as far as UI consistency. Hardware wise even though the 920 doesn't match the note spec for spec, I much prefer it. Beautiful screen, camera, size (as compared to the Note 2). The battery life is all over the board though on the L920. I don't experience any of the lag on my Note 2 that your friend does but it definitely isn't as zippy as the 920.

    Apps are a sore point for me but not as much as battery life. I love Google Now as well and it is the killer feature (to me at least) that none of the other platforms can match...yet. I'm keeping my 920 as my weekend phone but cannot yet make it my daily driver. I really hope that Microsoft has something in store for us and that the 920 can become my daily driver as I love using WP8 and want to make the switch. I hold hope that it will get there, I just hope it is sooner rather than later.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Carrier updates won't always take forever. Portico pertained to certain features that were carrier specific. That means they had to check compatibility because the way it worked with their system changed.

    Do you really think when Microsoft adds a notification center, for example, carrier's will need to approve it? No, because a notification center will not break or change the way it works with the carrier. Fixing sim card errors is carrier dependent. Most other changes are not.
    But why would Microsoft send out an update for only notification centre? They will always come bundled with stuff that may or may not need carrier testing. But that's not the only reason carriers want control over this process. If OS updates keep the handsets up to date and new, why would anyone buy another contract with them? Look at how many of us even though in middle of our contracts jumped in to get a WP8!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    But they have to wait for the right window to roll out an OS update.
    This window was in 2007 around the launch of Windows Mobile 6.5
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    But why would Microsoft send out an update for only notification centre? They will always come bundled with stuff that may or may not need carrier testing. But that's not the only reason carriers want control over this process. If OS updates keep the handsets up to date and new, why would anyone buy another contract with them? Look at how many of us even though in middle of our contracts jumped in to get a WP8!
    How many features of the operating system do you think could possibly need carrier testing? Phone calls, texts, and data (communication). That's the only stuff. Of course the notification center would not come by itself, but as for the carrier communication, this stuff does not change frequently. Once the bugs are worked out, it's finished with until the carriers make some sort of change to the way their own system works.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 10:03 PM
  2. Xbox Live Games for Android and iOS?
    By kenzibit in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 01:00 AM
  3. Very angry and upset with WP HTC
    By Stryfeno1 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
  4. What were Verizon and HTC thinking with the Ryme.
    By Averry in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 12:11 AM
  5. Zune pass for Android and iPhone
    By GekkoAce in forum Zune
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions