Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    So many threads about users worrying. Have trust in the company you support, and all of these useless threads will disappear. Microsoft is your friend. They are doing everything they can to push the industry forward. Stop treating them like an enemy....

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter View Post
    Microsoft is your friend.
    I have friends that are no company with the highest goal to make money (like every company, nothing wrong with that). But that is maybe just me.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Parktreeone View Post
    It was something I noticed on a news article I read, think it might of been The Verge
    The Verge is BS, don't listen to them. Even if there was it would only be $30 or less.
    aubreyq likes this.

It would be disgusting for them to charge for Blue at this point. I think Blue will be the equivalent of a service pack from previous versions of desktop Windows with far more end-user visible features included. They never charged for these before, why should they now? Talking about Windows Phone specifically, some features released with WP 8 are obviously not done, and many are extremely sub par at this point. It would be very unsavory for them to charge for an update that simply gets some features of the phone up to where they should have been at launch. I'm not attacking Windows Phone for not being done with that last statement, but I'm merely stating a fact. I think it was Microsoft's intention to get its new platforms out the door and update them meaningfully later based on reception - hence Blue and MSFT's yearly/quarterly (we'll see) update schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    No, they didn;t. We are talking about phones. They have never charged for phone updates.
    So we agree....

I can't see anyone charging for an OS update on a phone. The fragmentation issues that may cause along with the bad press that it would bring isn't worth the financial benefit. Surely that is obvious to MS, Google and Apple. Seeing as WP8 needs to gain ground on the competition they cannot afford to push potential customers away.

This seems like more conjecture designed to sully opinions on WP8 (says cynical me).
    That article was on THE VERGE. They will write anything to get hits.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    In all seriousness, if I had a choice between paying full price for a new phone or paying for a OS upgrade, I'd take the upgrade. Without even thinking about it.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    It may just be the same what Apple does with it's cats. Charge 20-30 dollars for OSX upgrades and 0$ for IOS upgrades.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    From what little I read it's just part of the effort to combine Windows stores into one...

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Has anyone considered that the "low-cost" could be talking about development cost? Like, it cost the company very little because they're getting to be on a more rapid release cycle? Just a thought.

Oh, and also, that article was focusing on the Windows 8 side of things, I don't think they CAN charge for phone updates.

Global Posts
    3,609 Global Posts
    Is Microsoft really going to charge for an update? Are they purposely trying to kill WP??? I don't get it.. they need to pull in as many users as possible, not shy them away. If charging for an update on a phone is a good idea, whoever decided that at MS needs to be fired.

Global Posts
    928 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parktreeone View Post
    Simple enough, I notices that MS will more than likely charge for the Blue update. How will this translate to Wp8?
    Microsoft does not charge for .x updates to their OSs. Call them what you like, but until an update reaches 9.x for a platform, they will not charge. Apple has been known at times to slap a new furry name on a MacOS update that is little more than a service pack; Microsoft does not do that and nothing has been said to indicate a change in policy. This is just another attempt to misinterpret and misrepresent which always seem to come from sites that wax poetic about companies that have fascinations with fruit, cats, and junk food in their naming conventions (Mango excluded).

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Wait so if I buy a Surface Pro for $899, I have to now pay for updates as well? Sorry that's way too much money to spend. Even Windows 8 updates should be free
    -Verizon HTC 8x Blue

Yeah go ahead and charge for an update and see this community uproar in madness and see ppl leave by the truck load. Dont be effin around M$
    First I hear if, post a link to something credible. If they do decide to go that route I would be fine if they were big bug updates, more features, etc not bug fixes and minor things. It's something that most companies are wanting to go to.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    [IMG][/IMG]
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12