Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Simple enough, I notices that MS will more than likely charge for the Blue update. How will this translate to Wp8?

WTF! You kidding? Charge for an update, sounds perverse.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

It was something I noticed on a news article I read, think it might of been The Verge

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I haven't seen the story, but I would assume the charge model would be for the Windows OS only. I would be surprised if they charged for the WP updates.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Fud!!!!
    bawboh86 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    I can't see them doing it on the phone side, but on the PC side it's possible. Sounds like there isn't even any Windows 9 plans and they are moving to more yearly updates of Windows 8. Sorta like what Apple does with MacOS.

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    I would pay for both. I'm a sucker.
    Thanked by:
    WinFan1 and bawboh86 like this.

you have to be trolling because i can't find anything on that, not even from the verge, i bet they will charge for the windows 8 updates like always but not the windows phone ones!

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    I can't see them doing it on the phone side, but on the PC side it's possible. Sounds like there isn't even any Windows 9 plans and they are moving to more yearly updates of Windows 8. Sorta like what Apple does with MacOS.
    and yes, I can see them moving on windows 8.1, 8.2 etc... And charging a nominal fee of $19.99, $29.99 for them. As I think they should.

No not trolling, I love my Lumia 920, a lot! I have no plans to change. It was more about food for thought and open discussion. I will try and find what I read (im a tech addict and read too much hard to keep tabs on my own reading)

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    www.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4005318/windows-blue-screenshots-nt-version-6-3
    you would have read this in the last paragraph which only tells about windows8...i also thought of the same question for wp8
    Thanked by:

Yes! That's the one! I was thinking how it might affect wp8 considering how integrated the systems are meant to be. Would I miss out on any features if for example - I decided not to pay for Blue update on my lap top but received a free Blue update on my phone. -

I think there is room for a lot of discussion on this subject.

I also don't think its silly to completely rule out a cost for wp8 either, no matter how crazy this might seem.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    they are struggling now against the competition sooo I can't imagine that ever happening.

LOL apple wouldn't even think of doing this.

But Apple DID do it. iOS4 was free for iPhone but they charged for the update on iPod for the first six months or so.

As long as the roll out is better than portico. I still haven't got my update 😞

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I think Microsoft once said that they support Windows Phone with updates for a certain time. Don't ask for sources, I don't have any. But I really don't believe that it will cost anything. Most of all, because "Blue" is just a buzz word. It's not even really connected to other platforms, it's just a plan that there will be updates every year on all platforms. At least that's what I read.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost something for Windows 8.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Has anyone ever had to pay for a SP? Its going to take them two years just to get all the bugs and integration issues fixed. I find it highly unlikely there will be a charge for any platform. Unless w8 turns out to be like Vista, beyond hope. And I highly doubt that because MS is "all or nothing" with new UI. W8 hasn't floundered yet and adoption isn't terrible so I don't see w9 coming out anytime soon. And if I'm wrong, MS can stick it. I'm not paying money for them to fix what should have been there in the first place. They rushed it to market unfinished. Especially WP8. They can't and won't charge for it.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    While it does sound crazy to have to pay for WP8 updates, it's not really that far-fetched considering how the industry has grown in the past 4 years or so. To recap a bit of history:
    Up until 2008, maybe mid of 2009, smartphones were all about features and the hardware - no one gave two cents about the operating system it ran on (or what apps it had).
    When the iOS vs. Android momentum picked up, it changed the way people looked at phones atmost overnight (which is part of the reason Nokia and BB were caught unawares).

Coming to Blue and paying for it, it's really not as crazy as it sounds...*IF* Microsoft can show a significant benefit for WP8 in terms of integration with Windows 8, sync app purchases for instance, and in short give a really good reason for people to pay for it.

However if all it gives WP is bug fixes and fills missing features, then WP will probably go the way of WebOS/Symbian.

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Rahman Noor View Post
    Coming to Blue and paying for it, it's really not as crazy as it sounds...*IF* Microsoft can show a significant benefit for WP8 in terms of integration with Windows 8, sync app purchases for instance, and in short give a really good reason for people to pay for it.
    They ****ed everybody with WP8 which made WP7 obsolete (WP7, a completely new OS which didn't run any old software, replaced after 2 years with a completely new OS that supports software not running on WP7). If they try such a stunt again, I'll be gone.
    LBLEIJE likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chregu View Post
    They ****ed everybody with WP8 which made WP7 obsolete (WP7, a completely new OS which didn't run any old software, replaced after 2 years with a completely new OS that supports software not running on WP7). If they try such a stunt again, I'll be gone.
    We won't see WP9 for atleast 1, 1,5 year and there's possibility(*cough* blue *cough*) that there won't be version anymore, like we will have Windows and Windows phone.

Until the competition charge for updates, WP never will. Not unless they want guaranteed platform death.
    Ronald Brown likes this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    Until the competition charge for updates, WP never will. Not unless they want guaranteed platform death.
    Best post of the thread.
    LeLee092 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggy79 View Post
    But Apple DID do it. iOS4 was free for iPhone but they charged for the update on iPod for the first six months or so.
    No, they didn;t. We are talking about phones. They have never charged for phone updates.

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I remember being told last year that we would be able to sign up for Windows Phone updates to get them faster than everyone else. Some special program that never came to light.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinancialP View Post
    I remember being told last year that we would be able to sign up for Windows Phone updates to get them faster than everyone else. Some special program that never came to light.
    Yeah, in hindsight, that one looks like a perfect example of a MS exec either talking out of his a$$ or giving more empty promises.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast