HTC One's BlinkFeed...WP's worst nightmare come true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So I was following the news of the "new" "flagship" device by HTC... I love the BlinkFeed. One of the biggest reasons I was planning to pick a Windows Phone. All your information, right in your face, you don't have to go into one app after another, finding what you need...

But now it seems HTC has done it. Not that I'm going to buy it any time soon. But just thinking isn't the tile interface a bit(lot?) like Windows Phone?

Your thoughts?

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the blink feed looked awesome. The point is Windows Phone was out in front with this new modern flat UI, but Android has quickly caught up. Its time for Windows Phone to accelerate because they are quickly losing each and every competitive advantage. We can say Google or Apple or even Blackberry copied features from Windows Phone, but it doesn't really matter. In the end its who is moving forward and who is getting left behind.

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just because there are squares with info doesn't mean that it is metro. If anything blink feed is more like flipboard on your home screen than a copy of tiles

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Blinkfeed is just a gimmicky feature that hides the REAL android start screen of dead icons.
If you flick to the right, the dead boring android icons are there. Blinkfeed is juz a skinned Weave/Pulse app without the app cover. You will get sick of it after awhile. As for the WP Live Tiles, I am still amazed by them even after 2+ years of WP adoption ;)

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just a Flipboard on the home screen, nothing compared to the overall architecture of live tiles.

I 100% agree on all levels with this comment. Flipboard came out before Live Tiles, so they are not really related in terms of what they are capable of. The Blink Feed doesn't show notifications or flip and its "tiles" aren't interchangeable or resizable like WP8's Live Tiles. You have nothing to worry about. WP8 is still ahead in that sense. This is what HTC was thinking: Flipboard is very popular with all Android users. So why don't we create our own? That's all. It wasn't meant to compete with the other OS that they participate in. Therefore, it won't happen.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Of course it wasn't meant to compete. But still..looks pretty neat. Also, I think it updates on its own.. Just doesn't flip like the live times.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It does look a little cluttered to me and the lack of resizing the tiles makes it harder to organize. I'm still a little jealous that android phones can so easily copy one WP's best features.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So funny when WP came out with Live Tiles, people were like they are ugly. Now we saw Blackberry with Active frame. Then HTC comes out with BlinkFeed. Maybe next iPhone will have something else but with the same concept as Live Tiles.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
People keep trying to maintain the difference between widgets and live tiles. It baffles me. The difference seems to be that widgets don't get stuck or broken the way live tiles do?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Blinkfeed is just a gimmicky feature that hides the REAL android start screen of dead icons.
If you flick to the right, the dead boring android icons are there. Blinkfeed is juz a skinned Weave/Pulse app without the app cover. You will get sick of it after awhile. As for the WP Live Tiles, I am still amazed by them even after 2+ years of WP adoption ;)

I just flicked to the right on my Lumia and guess what I see?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So I was following the news of the "new" "flagship" device by HTC... I love the BlinkFeed. One of the biggest reasons I was planning to pick a Windows Phone. All your information, right in your face, you don't have to go into one app after another, finding what you need...

But now it seems HTC has done it. Not that I'm going to buy it any time soon. But just thinking isn't the tile interface a bit(lot?) like Windows Phone?

Your thoughts?

I hate to break it to you but you've been able to imitate "blinkfeed" on android ever since June 2012 ;)

2urudu8a.jpg

Those are Flipboard widgets, and what's more, I can add way more feed sources than blinkfeed allows. This is my default homescreen on my own phone I also have an app installed so that swipes from the left side of the screen pops out the same scrolling App sidebar that Ubuntu Phone OS uses, even from within other apps being on my screen.

So because this is nothing new, it's not a threat.

But for those who are regular speakers against Android widgets, in the words of this catchphrase / meme: You're doing it wrong. I used to think widgets sucked (and they did) but over the course of the last year there have been a LOT of really useful, highly polished and very attractive ones put out on Play Store.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
WP fans need to stop being so insecure with the thinking that any new feature on another platform will mean doom for WP. Each OS has it's pros and cons and other OSes are bound to "borrow" features. It's not the end of the world.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It's funny to see a thread or post that says something negative about WP and the same usual suspects like and thank those posts.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the blink feed looked awesome. The point is Windows Phone was out in front with this new modern flat UI, but Android has quickly caught up. Its time for Windows Phone to accelerate because they are quickly losing each and every competitive advantage. We can say Google or Apple or even Blackberry copied features from Windows Phone, but it doesn't really matter. In the end its who is moving forward and who is getting left behind.

I don't agree that Android has caught up? Blinkfeed is a HTC creation and part of a single device that isn't even making it to all carriers in the US. Android = Samsung, not HTC. Besides HTC struggles with battery life on Android devices as it is without some metro wanna be sucking down battery in the background. (Though they did finally put a bigger battery in their device so there is hope.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion