Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    So I was following the news of the "new" "flagship" device by HTC... I love the BlinkFeed. One of the biggest reasons I was planning to pick a Windows Phone. All your information, right in your face, you don't have to go into one app after another, finding what you need...

But now it seems HTC has done it. Not that I'm going to buy it any time soon. But just thinking isn't the tile interface a bit(lot?) like Windows Phone?

Your thoughts?

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

Its a joke IMO. WP live tiles are much more and WP has a lot more to offer too with the whole UI.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I think the blink feed looked awesome. The point is Windows Phone was out in front with this new modern flat UI, but Android has quickly caught up. Its time for Windows Phone to accelerate because they are quickly losing each and every competitive advantage. We can say Google or Apple or even Blackberry copied features from Windows Phone, but it doesn't really matter. In the end its who is moving forward and who is getting left behind.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    Just because there are squares with info doesn't mean that it is metro. If anything blink feed is more like flipboard on your home screen than a copy of tiles

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Blinkfeed is just a gimmicky feature that hides the REAL android start screen of dead icons.
    If you flick to the right, the dead boring android icons are there. Blinkfeed is juz a skinned Weave/Pulse app without the app cover. You will get sick of it after awhile. As for the WP Live Tiles, I am still amazed by them even after 2+ years of WP adoption ;)
    Sent from my Windows 8.1 Vivotab Smart Tablet PC ��
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts
    It looks pretty cool. New content is supposed to be there every time you unlock your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    But just thinking isn't the tile interface a bit(lot?) like Windows Phone?
    Enough to unleash the legal team
    Thanked by:
    X0LARIUM and gaurav rana like this.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts
    Just a Flipboard on the home screen, nothing compared to the overall architecture of live tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Just a Flipboard on the home screen, nothing compared to the overall architecture of live tiles.
    I 100% agree on all levels with this comment. Flipboard came out before Live Tiles, so they are not really related in terms of what they are capable of. The Blink Feed doesn't show notifications or flip and its "tiles" aren't interchangeable or resizable like WP8's Live Tiles. You have nothing to worry about. WP8 is still ahead in that sense. This is what HTC was thinking: Flipboard is very popular with all Android users. So why don't we create our own? That's all. It wasn't meant to compete with the other OS that they participate in. Therefore, it won't happen.
    Last edited by Dadstar0410; 02-21-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Thanked by:
    eric12341 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Of course it wasn't meant to compete. But still..looks pretty neat. Also, I think it updates on its own.. Just doesn't flip like the live times.

It does look a little cluttered to me and the lack of resizing the tiles makes it harder to organize. I'm still a little jealous that android phones can so easily copy one WP's best features.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    It's basically a glorified RSS Reading Widget.. Yawn.
    WavingReds likes this.

So funny when WP came out with Live Tiles, people were like they are ugly. Now we saw Blackberry with Active frame. Then HTC comes out with BlinkFeed. Maybe next iPhone will have something else but with the same concept as Live Tiles.

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    People keep trying to maintain the difference between widgets and live tiles. It baffles me. The difference seems to be that widgets don't get stuck or broken the way live tiles do?

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robinleck View Post
    Blinkfeed is just a gimmicky feature that hides the REAL android start screen of dead icons.
    If you flick to the right, the dead boring android icons are there. Blinkfeed is juz a skinned Weave/Pulse app without the app cover. You will get sick of it after awhile. As for the WP Live Tiles, I am still amazed by them even after 2+ years of WP adoption ;)
    I just flicked to the right on my Lumia and guess what I see?
    elvisgp likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    So I was following the news of the "new" "flagship" device by HTC... I love the BlinkFeed. One of the biggest reasons I was planning to pick a Windows Phone. All your information, right in your face, you don't have to go into one app after another, finding what you need...

But now it seems HTC has done it. Not that I'm going to buy it any time soon. But just thinking isn't the tile interface a bit(lot?) like Windows Phone?

Your thoughts?

I hate to break it to you but you've been able to imitate "blinkfeed" on android ever since June 2012 ;)

Those are Flipboard widgets, and what's more, I can add way more feed sources than blinkfeed allows. This is my default homescreen on my own phone I also have an app installed so that swipes from the left side of the screen pops out the same scrolling App sidebar that Ubuntu Phone OS uses, even from within other apps being on my screen.

So because this is nothing new, it's not a threat.

But for those who are regular speakers against Android widgets, in the words of this catchphrase / meme: You're doing it wrong. I used to think widgets sucked (and they did) but over the course of the last year there have been a LOT of really useful, highly polished and very attractive ones put out on Play Store.

WP fans need to stop being so insecure with the thinking that any new feature on another platform will mean doom for WP. Each OS has it's pros and cons and other OSes are bound to "borrow" features. It's not the end of the world.
    Thanked by:
    WinFan1 and X0LARIUM like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    It's funny to see a thread or post that says something negative about WP and the same usual suspects like and thank those posts.

Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradbamford View Post
    I think the blink feed looked awesome. The point is Windows Phone was out in front with this new modern flat UI, but Android has quickly caught up. Its time for Windows Phone to accelerate because they are quickly losing each and every competitive advantage. We can say Google or Apple or even Blackberry copied features from Windows Phone, but it doesn't really matter. In the end its who is moving forward and who is getting left behind.

I don't agree that Android has caught up? Blinkfeed is a HTC creation and part of a single device that isn't even making it to all carriers in the US. Android = Samsung, not HTC. Besides HTC struggles with battery life on Android devices as it is without some metro wanna be sucking down battery in the background. (Though they did finally put a bigger battery in their device so there is hope.)
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    It's funny to see a thread or post that says something negative about WP and the same usual suspects like and thank those posts.
    That happens on every forum. Some people go overboard though.
    Last edited by eric12341; 02-21-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Removed personal attack
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    That happens on every forum. Some people go overboard though, see my sig. I know the person it's directed at has lol.
    Agreed. For the most part it's mild with the liking and thanking, but you notice the names. But there are always those that have to go a bit further or make sure they get the last word. They usually get themselves in trouble sooner or later.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I just saw the commercial for HTC One's Blinkfeed and I personally think it looks insanely close to Live Tiles. Maybe too close - if MS were Apple they'd have sued HTC last week!
    It's interesting to see people getting tired of the old "sea of icons" interface and try something refreshingly new.

But I wouldn't buy the HTC One anytime soon...mostly because I buy my phones sim-free and the One is ridiculously expensive.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Theres a video of it here, live.

Its just a rip off windows phone, and I think the average consumer will probably hate the way it works, and if they like it. We might have a future WP customer.

I don't understand. Blink feed just looks like a neat RSS widget which is nothing like live tiles(unless you only use RSS feeds on your home screen).

You guys also forget that to get this you need an extremely high end an expensive phone not to mention having to deal with the king of battery life vampires on android... Using heavy widgets on android completely slaughters battery life and performance. HTC gets around this by making really beefy phones. My SO has a relatively new HTC phone and is lucky to get more than 8 hrs of battery life, without such battery draining widgets on the home screen.

Meanwhile my Lumia gets double the battery life, runs just as smooth if not smoother (as the os was actually designed around live tiles), works better and lets me do more than this does, and to top it all off all on a phone that costs half as much. Your move, HTC?

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    I'm not impressed. It's a gimmick.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast