Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tjecco
  • 1 Post By tjecco
  1. tjecco's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    165 Posts
       #1  
    Does anyone know if we will be getting FM Radio on Windows Phone 8,

    I read somewhere that the phones Hardware is capable but the OS isn't at the moment (or something like that)
    muvig likes this.
  2. cuzincurly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    #2  
    hopefully we will. I want it badly since I don't have a data plan to listen to online radio
  3. tjecco's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    165 Posts
       #3  
    it's costing me so much just to listen to local radio stations... it's insane...

    i hope they announce Radio Support MWC
  4. Ultimateone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    781 Posts
    #4  
    Is Tune in Radio similar?
  5. #5  
    Iheart radio?
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
  6. cuzincurly's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    175 Posts
    #6  
    iheart radio requires the internet? or not?
  7. DenniSundaY's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    #7  
    I know that some wp7 phones uses the radio function though. And with the information that even an iphone has the hardware to use fm radio i think it could be something al wp8 phones support, just not the os.
  8. Bicpug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #8  
    Tunein radio doesn't work worth a damn for me, it takes it a nearly a minute to start streaming and then it will cut off every few minutes; at first i thought it was the phone but nokia music 3g playback is flawless. So to those who said before that FM wasn't needed...IT IS...cos even when you have unlimitted data online radio is garbage.
  9. KorJax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    #9  
    Honestly I dont know of a single smartphone that supports built in over the air radio. I wonder why? Guessing might be because the whole point of a smart phone is to use it with a data plan, and with a data plan there's no competing against digital radio, or local radio stations delivered digitally (via iHeartRadio.. though they pulled it from WP8 for some reason!).
  10. Bicpug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #10  
    Korjax
  11. Bicpug's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    #11  
    Korjax: I suspect it's more to do with advertising, as far as online radio is concerned you've sent all your details when you established a connection...so they can hit you with adverts; with FM radio you'd just be receiving the signal as a normal radio, saving you money and battery power but not allowing MS to ***** out your information.
  12. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,872 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniSundaY View Post
    I know that some wp7 phones uses the radio function though. And with the information that even an iphone has the hardware to use fm radio i think it could be something al wp8 phones support, just not the os.
    All of Windows Phone 7/7.5 devices had FM radio. It was part of the WP7 standard, it had to be there. Now With Windows Phone 8, on almost every model (cant confirm every but, most I have seen) have the hardware for a FM radio but, no software to run it. I know for sure the chipset is in the HTC 8X and the L920.

    The rumor is, from a few sites a few months ago, was that Microsoft was going to add it but, didn't have time to get it done before release.

    Is it possable it could come down on a software update ? Yes, maybe 8.1 will come with FM radip support but, depending on carrier, I would not 100% count on it,

    Baseball season starts soon, and I used my WP7 device to listen to games all the time, Now my only option is payibg MLB something like $50 for the season to get the games. That is BS, Microsoft should pay for that because of their lack of support.
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

  13. KorJax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    #13  
    Ironically enough using the FM radio (HD radio rather) in the ZuneHD drained battery life for some reason. Though its probably not as bad as a battery drain as wifi/data is, and the ZuneHD had a pretty small battery because it didn't need a big one (would last days for me).
  14. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,897 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,281 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    All of Windows Phone 7/7.5 devices had FM radio. It was part of the WP7 standard, it had to be there. Now With Windows Phone 8, on almost every model (cant confirm every but, most I have seen) have the hardware for a FM radio but, no software to run it. I know for sure the chipset is in the HTC 8X and the L920.

    The rumor is, from a few sites a few months ago, was that Microsoft was going to add it but, didn't have time to get it done before release.

    Is it possable it could come down on a software update ? Yes, maybe 8.1 will come with FM radip support but, depending on carrier, I would not 100% count on it,

    Baseball season starts soon, and I used my WP7 device to listen to games all the time, Now my only option is payibg MLB something like $50 for the season to get the games. That is BS, Microsoft should pay for that because of their lack of support.
    It all depends on where one lives. The only local sport that is broadcast here on FM is NFL (Browns on 100.7 WMMS). NBA (Cavaliers) and MLB (Indians) are only on AM (1100 WTAM). FM radio is useless for local NBA/MLB fans. I'm sure there are other cities that don't carry all the sports on FM. Of course, major markets like NYC, LA, Boston, Chicago will have sports on multiple stations, both AM and FM.
  15. #15  
    Using headphones as an antenna for FM radio is nearly useless and the reception will never be as strong as using a Walkman or dedicated radio.
  16. bozza72's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    568 Posts
    #16  
    Never had a problem with using fm on my phone, i drive buses all day and used my N8 for listening to the local radio, also meant i was pre wired for hands free calls,

    i miss my fm on my nokia 820 please please give it back :)
  17. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,872 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It all depends on where one lives. The only local sport that is broadcast here on FM is NFL (Browns on 100.7 WMMS). NBA (Cavaliers) and MLB (Indians) are only on AM (1100 WTAM). FM radio is useless for local NBA/MLB fans. I'm sure there are other cities that don't carry all the sports on FM. Of course, major markets like NYC, LA, Boston, Chicago will have sports on multiple stations, both AM and FM.
    True, I listen to 103.7 here in CT, that gives me Red Sox games and Pats games durning NFL season, I get the station fine where I work and live. I used to listen to games on my Trophy while I was doing things in the yard like cutting the grass or something. It stinks that I can no longer do that. I want my FM radio back, even if it's for news or listening to music with out having to pay for a service.

    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Using headphones as an antenna for FM radio is nearly useless and the reception will never be as strong as using a Walkman or dedicated radio.
    True to a point, if you get a station in pretty strong, using the headphones on my old Trophy never had a problem. Weaker stations did have an issue sometimes. Nothing would be better than dedicated hardware, I agree but, in a pinch, a phone works great for it.
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

  18. tjecco's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    165 Posts
       #18  
    i just spent $17 (around about, ZA R150) for 500mb of Data

    This is suppose to last all month!!! yes all month (i have wifi at home so it helps a bit)

    But then on the road and i wanna listen to tunes on the radio streaming is not an option, I really hope they bring the FM Radio support to WP8
    cuzincurly likes this.
  19. muvig's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    98 Posts
    #19  
    what about us whose reception is very strong, and just as good as using the walkman?
  20. muvig's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    98 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    Using headphones as an antenna for FM radio is nearly useless and the reception will never be as strong as using a Walkman or dedicated radio.
    what about us whose reception is very strong, and just as good as using the walkman?
  21. harry89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #21  
    I agree,
    I want FM radio back.
    HW is available in at least the high end smartphones.

    when i'm on my bike, biking to my job, fm radio is the best !!!
  22. GreenScrew's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicpug View Post
    Tunein radio doesn't work worth a damn for me, it takes it a nearly a minute to start streaming and then it will cut off every few minutes; at first i thought it was the phone but nokia music 3g playback is flawless. So to those who said before that FM wasn't needed...IT IS...cos even when you have unlimitted data online radio is garbage.
    Maybe depends on where you are? iHeart radio works great, and has every local station that I listen to. Have you tried it?
  23. GreenScrew's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by KorJax View Post
    Honestly I dont know of a single smartphone that supports built in over the air radio. I wonder why? Guessing might be because the whole point of a smart phone is to use it with a data plan, and with a data plan there's no competing against digital radio, or local radio stations delivered digitally (via iHeartRadio.. though they pulled it from WP8 for some reason!).
    My last two phones (Android - HTC Droid, WP7 - HTC Trophy) both had FM radio tuner capability. And iHeartRadio is working perfectly fine on my HTC 8x currently. Just sayin...
  24. PBNkapamilya's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    #24  
    Is TuneIn Radio available again on the Windows Phone 8 Store? I heard they pulled it out to "update" it (read: remove the function to listen to FM radio).

    And as far as I know, no WP8 available today have the hardware for over-the-air FM radio.
  25. clbarker10's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNkapamilya View Post
    Is TuneIn Radio available again on the Windows Phone 8 Store? I heard they pulled it out to "update" it (read: remove the function to listen to FM radio).

    And as far as I know, no WP8 available today have the hardware for over-the-air FM radio.
    That it is.
    14/55 Cell Phones

Similar Threads

  1. How do you use the FM radio receiver in the Lumia 900?
    By socialcarpet in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
  2. FM radio on WP7 hardware?
    By atitdd in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 10:18 AM
  3. WP7 FM Radio
    By DMonteiro in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions