WP8 keyboard/word suggestions worse than WP7

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Not to start an argument, I used a 920 for a while and found the keyboard far better than iOS, but my Blackberry Z10 keyboard and predictive text /autocorrect is just way beyond anything else I've used. And I've used them all!

I agree although the WP8 keyboard is a very close second. I just find that the Z10 allows me to type at blazing speeds, however after 10.1 update I got last week the keyboard is nowhere near as good as it use to be for some reason, with the auto correct not working as well. Strange

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had no issues with the predictive text. I do however miss Swype that I used to have on my Symbian phone. I found it so much faster. As well I do find the keyboard intrusive some situations. Overall though I do like the keyboard, however I hate the editing feature with a passion and the lack of back/forth arrows.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I also believe wp8 keyboard is the best. I literally can type without looking and have no errors, due to the precise key arrangement and auto correct.

chemetic

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I had trouble with WP8 keyboard on my Lumia 920 not auto correcting properly... I could also reproduce Glaf not correcting to Glad. It would suggest the correct word, but would only highlight it was wrong rather than auto-correcting.

Removing the English(UK) dictionary and only having English(US) seems to have fixed it for me.

It also seems to be recognizing sentence structure better - for example, replacing ill with I'll when beginning a sentence.

allibone

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I've just moved from WP7.8 on a Nokia Lumia 800 to an WP8 Nokia Lumia 720 and am finding the keyboard much worse on WP8, I have the settings exactly the same on both devices, have the same keyboard language set as English (UK). In the example above, on WP8 Glaf stays as Glaf but with a red squiggle underneath to highlight that it is incorrect and it gives you options to correct it, whereas on my Lumia 800 with WP7.8 it just automatically autocorrects it to Glad.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't wish to resurrect a 5 month old thread but this is exactly the same problem I'm having on my Lumia 820.

Im for example corrected to I'm on my Lumia 800, now it doesn't. Yet if I highlight it, I'm is an option to select.
I typed nirive instead of notice. On the 800 that was bold, indicating the default change, but not on the 820. I have notice motive noticed, all for me to choose.

If I go to language settings and pick English US I'm asked if I want to download a text prediction and speech recognition for 28 MB.
Then nothing happens but there is a restart phone button.
I restarted and nothing.

Now I have NO autocorrect choices at all with this language selected.

Any advice, chaps?

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
English UK is bad in some ways, it doesn't even correct i into I, which bugs the hell out of me. Not prepared to switch to English US, as I'd have more trouble uncorrecting words from the American versions back into UK versions.

However for people saying that the autocorrect and predictive feature is not as good as in WP8 as it was in WP8, this makes sense and has been discussed on here before. WP keyboard learns how you type and what you want predicted and autocorrected over time, having a WP7 device for say 2 years, the keyboard will know you and how you type and so you can type a lot quicker and efficient on it. Then you switch to WP8, this new keyboard has no idea how you type, and so needs to learn. Give it a few more months and hopefully it will have improved.

Speaking of autocorrect, mine comes up with some crazy suggestions sometimes. For example... If I just type 'for' it will come up with a suggestion for the next word to be 'Santa'. This makes no sense as I've never typed this sentence ever before and it doesn't even work as a sentence "for santa" could not be used in a sentence. Apart from that the predictions works really well for me, saying 'Hi' the predictions will be my girlfriend's name and also pet names I use for her. It's really clever.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'll wait til I get home and on WIFi and download the US keyboard it's failed on my G connection.
I'd rather a decent amount of corrections, suggestions and this Word Flow feature than having to go back and podge 70% of my sentence to correct the words (which is what I am doing currently.) Nothing is suggested.
I type Girlfriend, get as far as Girlf and "Girlfriend" appears. I go as far as finishing the word and it's still there, unbold and not willing to be an autosuggestion.
Honestly I've not seen any improvement in the month I've had my 820. I certainly had no learning time with my Lumia 800 in 18 months of use. It was good to go out of the box.

"Have you left a mince pie out for Santa?"

There you go.

:wink:

*Edit:*

Am I being harsh here? Am I supposed to be using the keyboard in a different way to WP7 and looking at the screen to select words as I go instead of waiting to be corrected? I've not really concentrated that hard on the screen as I typed but (to give it the benefit of the doubt), the word I want is almost certainly there every time. Normally I just bang away (morning ladies.. ) and expect my sentence to be corrected for me. Is it my perception of how the keyboard works that is wrong?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon