Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    hi, after using my WP8 device since October, I've noticed that they word suggestions are much worse than on my lumia 900.

For example if I type "Glaf" on WP7 it will change automatically to Glad, but wont do that on WP8, it'll just highlight that it is incorrect. I've noticed on other words too, has something been changed or do I need to just change some settings, any help to bring the keyboard for my lumia 820 on key with my lumia 900 would be appreciated.

Not having that problem at all. Just tried your example and it worked fine. In fact I love the way my phone anticipates words. I type a lot fewer characters than I used to.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts
    Have you checked you've got auto correction turned on in Settings?

Wp8 has the best auto spell function and also auto prediction is awesome. Sometimes i even don't have to typ at all, just clicking the words above the keyboard and you get full sentences without actually typing!

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbane View Post
    Have you checked you've got auto correction turned on in Settings?
    I do. I checked, but only some words are corrected, seems on my lumia 900, it works so amazingly well, I feel a bit annoyed the same is not happening with my L820. I wonder what is wrong?

I don't know. But i thought the wordflow keyboard also has a learning curve. So if you correct the same word manually a few times, isn't it correct it automatically it self? It did on my 8x, even in Dutch. Dutch is very good implanted in the auto correction and word flow.

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afgzee View Post
    hi, after using my WP8 device since October, I've noticed that they word suggestions are much worse than on my lumia 900.

For example if I type "Glaf" on WP7 it will change automatically to Glad, but wont do that on WP8, it'll just highlight that it is incorrect. I've noticed on other words too, has something been changed or do I need to just change some settings, any help to bring the keyboard for my lumia 820 on key with my lumia 900 would be appreciated.
    glaf turns to glad on my 920

I've noticed that I've accidentally added words that I spelled incorrectly to the dictionary. You can't remove specific words but you can reset the dictionary.

Go to settings> keyboard> advanced> reset suggestions. This should fix it.
    Also changes to glad on my 8X as well. The word correction/predictive text is better in WP8 than anything else by far.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniSundaY View Post
    Wp8 has the best auto spell function and also auto prediction is awesome. Sometimes i even don't have to typ at all, just clicking the words above the keyboard and you get full sentences without actually typing!
    I find this happening to me as well. I've had mine since November and I seldom have to type full words anymore.

Glad.

There...^ that was autocorrect from "glaf". Actually, I had to backspace just to make my phone type glaf.

I also noticed the way auto correction works is unique to the area or region you are located in. If you are in a country where English is not primary language, the auto correct doesn't work as you may want to throw in local words in English. But if you set you local region to English US, auto correct works like a charm.

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    Windows Phone's keyboard is the best in the industry imo
    I personally hate the keyboard. It may be great for people that type really slow, but I type relatively fast on mine and it doesn't correct words often enough for me. The most frustrating thing is when i type a word wrong and you miss every letter by one key and it can't figure the word out. That's the one thing I enjoyed more on my iphone than my lumia. Another issue I have is with the space bar and delete button. Way too often I hit the space bar and it doesnt react fast enough. Ive gotten used to it but still don't like the keyboard overall

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin777 View Post
    I personally hate the keyboard. It may be great for people that type really slow, but I type relatively fast on mine and it doesn't correct words often enough for me. The most frustrating thing is when i type a word wrong and you miss every letter by one key and it can't figure the word out. That's the one thing I enjoyed more on my iphone than my lumia. Another issue I have is with the space bar and delete button. Way too often I hit the space bar and it doesnt react fast enough. Ive gotten used to it but still don't like the keyboard overall
    then at the end of the sentence you click on the words with a red crinkle underneath it and it gives you almost everytime the correct word, so you can click on it. Isn't such a big deal isn't it? Or you click on the words if they appear above. But i also noticed that if you're typing really fast, you don't see any words. But that's normal actually.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin777 View Post
    Look, I've had 3 iPhones over 5 years. I hated the keyboard on every one of them. Autocorrect hardly ever worked for me. Since I've had my 920, I've tried using another iphone to type and I literally hit the same incorrect key 3 times before I handed it back to them. I'm pretty sure even Android has a better keyboard than iPhone especially when you consider you only get 3 choices when you misspell a word and the predictive text almost never works.

At first I really liked the keyboard. But recently i just feel like it takes up too much space on the screen.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    I have my keyboard set to English (United Kingdom) just as I did with my L900. I also tried resetting the keyboard. I also checked all the settings were correct and the same as with my L900, but doesn't seem to work. not sure what the problem could be here?

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts
    Not to start an argument, I used a 920 for a while and found the keyboard far better than iOS, but my Blackberry Z10 keyboard and predictive text /autocorrect is just way beyond anything else I've used. And I've used them all!

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I'm one of the few that find the BB10 keyboard suggestions irritating...the keyboard itself is not bad though.

I've found with my 920 that it seems to be learning in time as it keeps getting better and better...I do find I miss the spacebar more often but that has to do with the size of my hands and the size of the screen more than anything else....I can fly though a paragraph and only have to fix a word or two usually if I didn't look closely while typing

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
    Not to start an argument, I used a 920 for a while and found the keyboard far better than iOS, but my Blackberry Z10 keyboard and predictive text /autocorrect is just way beyond anything else I've used. And I've used them all!
    I agree although the WP8 keyboard is a very close second. I just find that the Z10 allows me to type at blazing speeds, however after 10.1 update I got last week the keyboard is nowhere near as good as it use to be for some reason, with the auto correct not working as well. Strange

Global Posts
    17,216 Global Posts
    I've had no issues with the predictive text. I do however miss Swype that I used to have on my Symbian phone. I found it so much faster. As well I do find the keyboard intrusive some situations. Overall though I do like the keyboard, however I hate the editing feature with a passion and the lack of back/forth arrows.
    I also believe wp8 keyboard is the best. I literally can type without looking and have no errors, due to the precise key arrangement and auto correct.

I had trouble with WP8 keyboard on my Lumia 920 not auto correcting properly... I could also reproduce Glaf not correcting to Glad. It would suggest the correct word, but would only highlight it was wrong rather than auto-correcting.

Removing the English(UK) dictionary and only having English(US) seems to have fixed it for me.

It also seems to be recognizing sentence structure better - for example, replacing ill with I'll when beginning a sentence.

I've just moved from WP7.8 on a Nokia Lumia 800 to an WP8 Nokia Lumia 720 and am finding the keyboard much worse on WP8, I have the settings exactly the same on both devices, have the same keyboard language set as English (UK). In the example above, on WP8 Glaf stays as Glaf but with a red squiggle underneath to highlight that it is incorrect and it gives you options to correct it, whereas on my Lumia 800 with WP7.8 it just automatically autocorrects it to Glad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast