- 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM #1
I went out and got myself a blackberry z10 but two days in I'm not entirely satisfied. The battery seems abysmal, the windows button to get a quick look at notifications seems better and one of the main features bbm voice doesn't work with my main contact. However there are some very strong points that still make it a compelling device. However I still want to ask some questions and see if maybe wp8 is for me or not. I have 14 days to decide before the return window closes.
1. Coming from a physical keyboard blackberry I was apprehensive about the keyboard but the blackberry z10 touch screen keyboard was astounding to say the least even right out of the box. I was shocked at how good it was. I've had trouble with iPhone keyboards and also android keyboards. The demo wp keyboards I tried seemed as though autocorrect wasnt even on. So does the wp8 keyboard get better with time enough that you could type very very fast with no or rare mistakes.
2. I have several international contacts and so far BBM has been priceless. Is the new whatsapp good enough to be a replacement?
3. How will the Skype transition affect the messaging hub where one can chat with MSN contacts?
4. On BBM voice they use something called wide band audio or something can't remember what while on the other hand Skype uses mono audio so its no surprise that I found the BBM voice quality to be very very good. Is there some other app that makes high quality voice calls on wp8?
5. Is there dlna support that's easy to use such that I can play YouTube videos, pictures, videos and music on my TV? O tried dlna for the first time today using the blackberry z10 and was blown away. I'm willing to overlook the lack of HDMI of there's excellent dlna support.
6. Is touch.Facebook.com decent enough for regular usage?
7. Does the 1GB RAM ever feel insufficient? I have several apps like twitter, Facebook and a bunch of browser tabs open usually.
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM #2
- 1,339 Posts
1. WP keyboard for me has always been better than my S3 especially on wp7. Wp8 seems to be less accurate with predictions, unless you add to the dictionary.
2. The update for Whatsapp made it complete, in the sense you can finally add voice, video, location, etc. The notifications come in instant now. Notifications use to come in slower. I believe its a wonderful alternative, until Skype is finished.
3. I have no idea.
4. I know for non-Nokia devices you have metro-talk and others that slip my mind. Metro-talk sound quality has been good as well as Skype. So for Nokia you have a Viber exclusive.
5. As of right now there is NO dlna app that allows content on phone to be pushed to anything. There are some that allows pushing of content on another device like your PC to a dlna compliant device. Nokia will be releasing a DLNA app at MWC.
6. Facebook touch is really good to me. Especially using it on wp8 browser. You have all functions and is smooth as ever.
I believe you will enjoy WP, especially since this platform has more apps and have an ecosystem that will benefit you greatly.
02-22-2013, 12:08 AM #3
- 323 Posts
So I'll answer the questions I feel very confident in answering seeing as im not tooo tech savy, but know where you are coming from.
1. It really depends on you really, but I had an LG optimus 7 and it was a tinyyy screen, and I typed like I was on steroids. Now with my 8X because the screen is bigger, it took me a bit of time to adjust but im still typing relatively fast as I am checking right now, although sometimes autocorrect can be a hassle I'll admit, but nothing you can't get over really :).
2. I use whatsapp to keep in contact with my closest friends, and some of them live in Toronto, and some in Arab countries, id say it works pretty well and the notifications are pretty good now from what I am noticing. Its fluid and manageable id say :).
3. Nobody really knows I think but my guess is that it'll be the same thing, except it'll say Skype chat rather than messenger. And in the future afterwards they'll integrate Skype video and voice calling, but for now the app is there. Its not amazing I'll admit, but I still call my family overseas no problem.
6. I noticed that touch.facebook is now m.facebook on my phone automatically, and it is quite awesome. The only thing I hate about Facebook though, for both browser and app is you can't attach anything in the chats.... Annoying. But everything else seems to not be terrible to deal with :).
7. I think it is PERFECT. I honestly don't know why people are so insane over specs, its really fluid on wp8, and lemme tell you 1.5 GHz dual core processer with 1 Gb ram is flawless.
Hope this helps!
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM #4
- 59 Posts
Peoples Hub act as a facebook, only thing it is missing is recieving private messages. In which case, the touch.facebook.com website works wonders. You can even pin it directly to the start screen if you wanted to.
I've never ran into memory issues. This is simply put the fastest and most stable smartphone/device I've seen or used, and my battery life isn't that bad considering. (easily make it to the end of the day after using it moderately and still have some juice left on my Lumia 810)
The keyboard works great for me. I'm super slow at typing on the keyboard on my android tablet. I suck at using my SO's HTC phone keyboard. However the WP8 keyboard I somehow can type pretty fast with. Predicition isn't bad, but I don't ever rely on it and when I use it it is genuenly useful.
I'd love it if there was a way for me to stream video/whatever footage direclty to my TV or something. Ironically enough my Lumia 810 runs HD video and such better than my android tablet.
- By baseballbert in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 20Last Post: 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM
- By Jazmac in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 24Last Post: 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
- By G_The_One in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 17Last Post: 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
- By danygandhi in forum HTC TITANReplies: 8Last Post: 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM