Anyone sick of Microsoft making Nokia it's new iPhone?

Spencer Prince

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I've been using WP8 for about a year now. My first device was the Lumia 710 on T-Mobile but because I wanted to tether and the Lumia didn't support it, I decided to get the 4G Radar instead. This year I decided that I would get the highly anticipated 8X by HTC on T-Mobile's network as well and I love the phone. But everytime I look on WPCentral, I'm always seeing some exclusive app for the Lumia series. Honestly it's starting infuriate me because it seems as if Microsoft is making Nokia it's little iPhone. What about HTC 8X we have rights to.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think it's up to the manufacturers, just like the carriers can have exclusive apps if they choose to, so can Nokia. They have to differentiate their devices from the other WP manufacturers, and design will only take you so far.

I would like to try out some of the applications myself, but if Nokia owns the rights, then they are allowed to say only their devices can run it, right?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
WHen HTC comes out with their Ultapixel BS and says it can't work on WP cause of limitations, I could give a flying **** what happens to them. They really need to stop taking cheap shots at WP whenever they have the chance and make stuff that is actually competitive. 16Gb flagship WP8? give me a break. HTC is a joke and they will be swallowed up by a bigger company soon.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Come on how many threads like this did we have already....

Over and over there are posts about how insignificant the Nokia Apps are when it comes to choosing between the phones to begin with, yet there are just as many threads about how unfair it is that Nokias apps isn't available on Samsung, HTC, Dell or Huawai devices.

Sure I envy the HTC clock app a bit, but I was very well aware that I was not going to get it when I went for the Lumia. Just as I was not going to get iTunes, Siri, Beats Audio or whatever everyone else has to offer exclusively.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Foroplex

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC puts a lot of efforts in their software, and Android just gives them the freedom to do that. Nokia was never known for their software, which is why Windows Phone is optimum for them.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft isn't doing anything. It is Nokia supporting themselves. They are making these deals themselves and using their own money to get these exclusive deals. HTC doesn't really care for WP, they just released these devices as a test to see if they could make more profit. Complain to HTC if you're not happy, or don't support them in the future.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
WHen HTC comes out with their Ultapixel BS and says it can't work on WP cause of limitations, I could give a flying **** what happens to them. They really need to stop taking cheap shots at WP whenever they have the chance and make stuff that is actually competitive. 16Gb flagship WP8? give me a break. HTC is a joke and they will be swallowed up by a bigger company soon.
I agree. What's funny is when Nokia EOS comes by and surpasses the HTC One in camera quality, we will laugh and say really HTC? WP8 can do this and you say it can't do your Ultrapixel?

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
HTC puts a lot of efforts in their software, and Android just gives them the freedom to do that. Nokia was never known for their software, which is why Windows Phone is optimum for them.
I think there are people with loud voices waiting outside your house for saying that. Nokia has for a long time made software. Called Symbian (sp?).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

They never said that, or I don't recall them saying that. It will be in the next round of WPs from them.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a Lumia 822 and now have an 8X. I don't have any issues with Nokia having their exclusive apps. I liked them when I had my Lumia, but since I have the 8X the only ones I really miss are Nokia Music and Creative Studio. However both of these apps can be replaced by other apps that are available to all WP8 devices. I say to Nokia and HTC do whatever it takes to make your devices more popular with consumers.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The problem is not Microsoft. The problems are the other manufacturers who don't drive in the correct gear. Nokia has presence and prestige. I own an 8X and undoubtedly know Nokia was Microsoft best form of a push for windows phones. HTC and Samsung was already on board before Nokia. So your question should've been why other manufacturers don't put in as much effort as Nokia, minus the stipend they get from Microsoft.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

You're incorrect, the UltraPixels is enabled by HTC's image chip, which 8X owners enjoy in its first iteration.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
iPhone's are owned by Apple and they are tiny, slim and light devices that has no colours, black and white are shades. So I do believe that your statement is false.

If you don't like what is happening then tell HTC or Samsung to put in their weight into WP like how they do with Android, since they don't it sucks and hurts the consumers that aren't able to choose a Nokia device on their carrier. Nokia is doing everything they can to survive so don't blame or hate them.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
No. In fact, I would say it's a good thing Nokia is the "iphone" of WP right now. Face it. The samsung and HTC oferings aren't the ones getting the attention. They aren't the ones getting the sales and helping WP atleast stay in the picture. It's the 920 doing it. It was the 900 last year and now it's the 920. Without Nokia over the last 2 years I seriously doubt we would still be discussing WP and loooking forward to any MWC announcements because I don't think WP would still be alive and even have the fighting chance they have. What I am sick of, is the lack of WP phones available and the lack of high end WP phones available. I know the cheaper phones are important, but take a look at all the best selling phones across all platforms. They are all high end specs, and they have screens larger than 4.5 inches. (Other than the iphone which to me doesn't matter). Apple could release the thing with a 2 inch screen and it would sell like crazy because of how innovative they are by saving space.

Look, I love my 920, best phone I ever had. I had a note before this. But WP needs a handful of high end devices to choose from with varying larger screen sizes. And I honestly think they need to atleast double the amount of phones they have in the market on all of the carriers. Give me 2 or 3 high end devices on each carrier, each with a different screen size. Then a couple of mid range phones on each carrier and a low end phone as well. They also need to invade th prepaid market with more than 1 phone from huawei. Of course, if they could get Best Buy to actually carry the 920 in their store it might help. All 3 Best Buy's near me refuse to carry the flagship WP's. They did it last year and they are still doing it this year. They carry 1 WP, the 8x. That's it. And they will do anything they can to not sell it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

HTC really doesn't put a lot of effort into their software. They have a "ship and forget" and "if it doesn't crash it's finished" attitude towards software. HTC is a great example of a company with a strong hardware culture, which prevents their software teams from ever getting off the ground. For HTC management, software development is either a necessary evil that must be contained as much as possible, or a marketing and branding related effort.

Nokia didn't excel at software either, but their view of software is the exact opposite of HTC's... a serious engineering expense without any "sexiness". That didn't make Nokia's software efforts any more successful, yet they have always had a much higher commitment to software than HTC ever did.

HTC has improved over the last few years, but they still aren't anywhere close to deserving the line "they put a lot of effort into software".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb