Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree38Likes
  • 8 Post By AngryNil
  • 3 Post By Moose_Albo
  • 1 Post By ammarmalik2011
  • 3 Post By gsquared
  • 1 Post By mrmdj31675
  • 6 Post By srmccoy
  • 7 Post By JerseySal
  • 2 Post By thed
  • 1 Post By theefman
  • 2 Post By bear_lx
  • 1 Post By thed
  • 1 Post By mlm1950
  • 1 Post By Gaichuke
  • 1 Post By eric12341
  1. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
       #1  
    Storage

    So, people say there isn't much separating Windows Phones apart - too much standardisation. So, it must be easy for manufacturers to get the few possible differentiators perfect, right? Let's take a look at one such area for Windows Phone 8 devices, storage:

    HTC:

    8X: 8/16GB
    8S: 4GB + microSD

    Nokia:

    Lumia 920: 32GB
    Lumia 822: 16GB + microSD
    Lumia 820: 8GB + microSD
    Lumia 810: 8GB + microSD
    Lumia 720: 8GB + microSD
    Lumia 620: 8GB + microSD
    Lumia 520: 8GB + microSD

    Samsung:

    Ativ S: 16/32GB + microSD
    Ativ Odyssey: 8GB + microSD

    htc_8s_review_7-580x455.jpg

    So, let's get this straight. HTC has two WP8 devices, that together make up the "signature line" of Windows Phones. In other words, Microsoft loves the heck out of these phones and thinks they are the hero devices. Yet the 8X is the worst non-expandable device, maxing out at 16GB. The 8S is the worst expandable device, with the 4GB of internal storage restricting users from installing many apps. And of course, Nokia just unveiled a certain Lumia with 8GB of internal storage and microSD support...

    at an estimated starting price of €139 before taxes and subsidies.
    Cost isn't a legitimate factor here. Actually, we had this problem in 2010, when most launch Windows Phones only carried 8GB of storage. Also, most launch Windows Phones were from HTC. It didn't work then, and it isn't working over two years later. But this can no longer be attributed to simple ignorance. HTC is well aware of the importance of storage, as evident from the unveiling of its latest Android flagship, the HTC One (though Samsung still takes the cake):

    htc-one-vs-galaxy-s3-11.jpg

    And last year's One X and One X+ offered storage from 16GB to 64GB.

    htc-one-x-vs-one-x-8.jpg


    Software

    The company also unveiled Sense 5 on its new flagship, which includes a somewhat familiar home screen called "BlinkFeed":

    blink-feed-blog-header-640x346.jpeg

    Hello!

    wp8-high-contrast-c.jpg


    Camera

    To top it off, Pocket-lint reports that "there are no current plans" to migrate HTC's Zoe Camera technology to Windows Phone.

    zoe.jpg

    Of course, Nokia had no problem implementing a tonne of camera features through Lenses, not to mention OIS on the hardware side.

    cinemagraph-nokia-lumia-wp8.png


    Conclusion

    I hope someone at Microsoft recently got fired.
  2. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    969 Posts
    #2  
    HTC may not be putting much effort into WP, but Samsang are putting even less into WP.

    Its difficult, but Microsoft need to try and help make WP more than just a vessel for selling Nokia phones. Otherwise it just becomes a one horse race.

    Although rather annoyingly, HTC & Samsung aren't really bothering (even with Microsofts money), still making it a one horse race.
  3. Moose_Albo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #3  
    This post makes Albo angry! Brb, going to go smash something!
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, AngryNil and jdhooghe like this.
  4. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #4  
    HTC's main focus is Android, Nokia's is Windows Phone. No need to get so bent out of shape over it.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
  5. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,374 Posts
    #5  
    OP.

    You really need to find yourself a new hobby! The sad thing about that wonderfully prepared post of yours is that come the end of the day nobody cares.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    ousooner314, ste1164 and LBLEIJE like this.
  6. mrmdj31675's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    #6  
    Why getting to conclussions on what HTC and Samsung are doing or not doing? There are rumors both have surprises coming in the next few months, especially when they went public about new devices coming (and expected at least by Sprint and other carriers this summer).
    eric12341 likes this.
  7. srmccoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #7  
    This entire post is ridiculous. HTC isn't giving the finger to WP. They are a struggling company with a variety of products out there. Android is their focus, as it has been since 2008. The 8x is a solid phone, one that many people are enjoying .Yes, it lacks storage, but not everyone wants or cares about that. 16gb is plenty for me, as I use Skydrive and Stream my music, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

    Nokia only has Windows Phone. They bet their entire company on this, so of course they are going to go above and beyond the other OEMs when making and marketing their products. It's literally all they have. HTC is low on funds at the moment, so they are putting their efforts and money into what they feel is going to keep them going, and right now that's Android. Also, the whole Zoe thing is just a report, not a definitive response. Though, for the life of me I cannot fathom why people are so excited over 3 second video clips.

    It seems like I'm seeing these posts on almost a daily basis anymore. People need to stop overreacting and buy the product that makes them happy.
  8. JerseySal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    594 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    #8  
    So a struggling company needs to concentrate more on a things that bring them the least revenue? You should run for Congress. That's the type of business savy that sent our economy down the crapper. Nice presentation though. lol
    ~Sal
    Thanked by:
    jabtano, aubreyq, thed and 4 others like this.
  9. morpheus1982's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    204 Posts
    #9  
    So where has the OP gone? Ridiculous post.
    Device: O2 Nokia Lumia 1520
  10. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #10  
    Gotta say I loves me some AngryNil in the morning. I agree with JerseySal that HTC is not going to put money into something that's almost guaranteed to make less revenue (unfortunately that is Windows Phone), however I agree with AngryNil that the whole "Signature" line thing might as well be dropped because honestly, if anything screams "Signature" for WP, is Nokia hardware.
  11. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    888 Global Posts
    #11  
    Another day another stupid post.
    Thanked by:
  12. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    #12  
    As with many things, I think MS deserves some blame here. HTC is probably focused mainly on Android because they can't put their best hardware in a WP phone. The One has a newer Snapdragon chipset and 1080 screen, both not supported by WP. When you're struggling like HTC is, you want to get the best product you can make out there in front of consumers, and they can't do that with a WP phone.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and ousooner314 like this.
  13. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    As with many things, I think MS deserves some blame here. HTC is probably focused mainly on Android because they can't put their best hardware in a WP phone. The One has a newer Snapdragon chipset and 1080 screen, both not supported by WP. When you're struggling like HTC is, you want to get the best product you can make out there in front of consumers, and they can't do that with a WP phone.
    So basically what you're saying is that because of Microsoft, HTC can't compete with Nokia because they can't use the best possible hardware currently out there. What exactly makes you think they could compete with Nokia even if MS would have wider hardware support as they would then be available also to Nokia as well?
  14. sandmanfvr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    As with many things, I think MS deserves some blame here. HTC is probably focused mainly on Android because they can't put their best hardware in a WP phone. The One has a newer Snapdragon chipset and 1080 screen, both not supported by WP. When you're struggling like HTC is, you want to get the best product you can make out there in front of consumers, and they can't do that with a WP phone.
    MS put spec requirements out there, HTC is just scraping the bottom of the barrel and putting phones are that meet the bare minimum of those specs; that is HTC's fault not MS. I had the HTC Arrive and loved how my H, T, and C on the back cover FELL OFF due to the glue stopped holding. My HTC Hero back in the day had issues and build quality was a joke. Just last week, my wife's HTC EVO 3D micro USB port just broke; aka the plastic piece in the USB port that holds the pins in, fell out. My wife is careful with her phones and didn't break it by being careless; she was without a phone when the charge ran out. I ran and got her a S3 she been wanting and from then on, NO MORE HTC handsets in our house. HTC are about doing things on the cheap and that is NOT MS's fault. Nokia is driving WP8 and that is good, my 920 is coming Wednesday and I really don't care if other manufacturers don't "man up" as Nokia is doing very well. Also I don't see the hate toward Nokia just because they are doing a great job.
    Thanked by:
  15. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    So a struggling company needs to concentrate more on a things that bring them the least revenue? You should run for Congress. That's the type of business savy that sent our economy down the crapper. Nice presentation though. lol
    If they dont invest anything in WP how do they expect to get any returns? And when Nokia brings the exclusives, gets all the press all HTC and Samsung fans start crying that Nokia is bad for WP.
    AngryNil likes this.
  16. bear_lx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    816 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    #16  
    Nokia has always been there flagship in my mind regardless if what name the htc windows phone 8x has... If there is one thing MS has never understood , it's branding and advertising. I hope they can figure this out sooner than later...
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx
    aubreyq and AngryNil like this.
  17. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that because of Microsoft, HTC can't compete with Nokia because they can't use the best possible hardware currently out there. What exactly makes you think they could compete with Nokia even if MS would have wider hardware support as they would then be available also to Nokia as well?
    I don't see how you got that from my post. I didn't even mention Nokia at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    MS put spec requirements out there, HTC is just scraping the bottom of the barrel and putting phones are that meet the bare minimum of those specs; that is HTC's fault not MS. I had the HTC Arrive and loved how my H, T, and C on the back cover FELL OFF due to the glue stopped holding. My HTC Hero back in the day had issues and build quality was a joke. Just last week, my wife's HTC EVO 3D micro USB port just broke; aka the plastic piece in the USB port that holds the pins in, fell out. My wife is careful with her phones and didn't break it by being careless; she was without a phone when the charge ran out. I ran and got her a S3 she been wanting and from then on, NO MORE HTC handsets in our house. HTC are about doing things on the cheap and that is NOT MS's fault. Nokia is driving WP8 and that is good, my 920 is coming Wednesday and I really don't care if other manufacturers don't "man up" as Nokia is doing very well. Also I don't see the hate toward Nokia just because they are doing a great job.
    I agree that HTC has had some quality issues in the past years. In fact, that's probably a big reason why they've been struggling lately. Though my anecdote is a good one: my Trophy has been stable with no issues at all since day 1.

    I think you both missed my point. The point is that if HTC can't really put their best hardware on WP due to MS rules, they're probably just going to continue making low to mid range phones for WP. Especially since their potential profits from WP are still pretty low right now. That's it. No need to get all defensive about Nokia here.
    Thanked by:
    wpn00b 
    wpn00b likes this.
  18. bear_lx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    816 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    #18  
    Agreed... oEMs are focused on what's selling and right now it's android
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx
  19. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    480 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by srmccoy View Post
    This entire post is ridiculous. HTC isn't giving the finger to WP. They are a struggling company with a variety of products out there. Android is their focus, as it has been since 2008. The 8x is a solid phone, one that many people are enjoying .Yes, it lacks storage, but not everyone wants or cares about that. 16gb is plenty for me, as I use Skydrive and Stream my music, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

    Nokia only has Windows Phone. They bet their entire company on this, so of course they are going to go above and beyond the other OEMs when making and marketing their products. It's literally all they have. HTC is low on funds at the moment, so they are putting their efforts and money into what they feel is going to keep them going, and right now that's Android. Also, the whole Zoe thing is just a report, not a definitive response. Though, for the life of me I cannot fathom why people are so excited over 3 second video clips.

    It seems like I'm seeing these posts on almost a daily basis anymore. People need to stop overreacting and buy the product that makes them happy.
    It would seem that people post this stuff because the product that would make them happy isn't available on the WP8 platform.
    aubreyq likes this.
  20. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #20  
    Well, it comes to that in the end doesn't it?

    You say that HTC is concentrating on Android because of the hardware restrictions in the WP. That means either that HTC feels it can't compete inside WP8 when restricted to those or that they feel that they can't sell such devices in general. The latter sounds quite odd considering their wish to make the signature devices and everything.
    aubreyq likes this.
  21. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    It would seem that people post this stuff because the product that would make them happy isn't available on the WP8 platform.
    It seems to me the logical response to that, would be to...




    Go buy a product of a different platform. Nothing is stopping you.
  22. invertme's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    341 Posts
    #22  
    Funny you ommited the HTC DNA, that phone alone makes your entire post rubbish. It was HTC's flagship for a few months and shipped with 16GB non expandable memory.
  23. FinsUpDNC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #23  
    LG bought WebOS, Samsung is testing their own OS, HTC is on their way to making a kindle like non android android, apple will have iOS, Nolia will have WP. When this happens (not if), we are all going to be better off when most apps are web apps that run on all devices. They will figure out notifications through the browser and off we go. That is the future, and this is why Google will grow their Nexus line because those will be the android devices.
  24. #24  
    Thread is all speculation with no solid facts. I think it's safe to say that I should go ahead and stick the fork in this one.
    Oliver Newell likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Phone: The Hail Mary pass is now in the air
    By aubreyq in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
  2. HTC giving anyone else the runaround?
    By airsmith in forum HTC TITAN
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 04:45 PM
  3. HTC Says Windows Phone is 30% of Sales
    By Diamondx_8 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
  5. 16MP HTC Bresson Windows Phone for T-Mobile?
    By Luisraul924 in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions