HTC Signature Windows Phone Partner. What does that mean? (+Poll)?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've read a few times, in the media and in these forums, that HTC is Microsoft's "Signature Windows Phone" partner.

Allegedly, Microsoft granted this title to HTC, because HTC was willing to brand their devices as Windows Phones, as in "HTC Windows Phone 8x". Nokia wasn't willing to do that, as they prefer to promote their Lumia brand. At least that is what I remember reading. From this I concluded, that this title is purely honorary in nature. I'm unaware that this title carries any weight or has any consequences.

Now, since MWC, a lot of people have voiced disappointed with HTC. Mainly due to HTC's inability or unwillingness to bring the technology from their HTC One over to WP. In the wake of that disappointment, I've seen more than one person state that this title should be revoked.

1. Does anybody know what this title really means? Is it as inconsequential as I understand it to be, or am I missing something?
  2. Understandably, Nokia will focus on their Lumia brand. Assuming this is purely a branding matter, does it not make sense for HTC, who is promoting Microsoft's brand of "Windows Phone", to retain that title?

What do you think?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
100% agree with CGK. That was all done to create buzz and marketing for the launch of the 8X and 8S. It probably stopped meaning anything the moment the phones shipped. Also, I believe the "signature" moniker was applicable to the actual phones and NOT HTC itself. Still, it means nothing.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, I believe the "signature" moniker was applicable to the actual phones and NOT HTC itself. Still, it means nothing.

Okay, missed that.

In that case, I assume HTC's devices were advertised as being Signature Windows Phones, at least in a few places? I have yet to see a single advertisement for a HTC Windows Phone.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Okay, missed that.

In that case, I assume HTC's devices were advertised as being Signature Windows Phones, at least in a few places? I have yet to see a single advertisement for a HTC Windows Phone.
To clarify, I'm not 100% sure the "signature" moniker applies to the hardware, but that is my recollection. There's probably been some marketing using the "signature" line but I sure can't remember it. Perhaps it was done in a subtle way, which would make the whole point of having a "signature" line moot. It all reinforces the fact that the whole "signature" thing was a wasted effort.

Off topic: The WP8 marketing appears to be weak so far, at least in the US. I still see the Stefani and Alba commercials but I really don't know if it's selling Windows Phones in the US.

Last edited:

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought "Signature" was supposed to mean the cleanest Windows experience possible? They do the same thing on certain laptops, but others don't have them. Someone told me once that the non-Signature laptops come with bloatware.

Also didn't HTC 8x, for the most part, get the updates first? Signature could have something to do with that? I don't know.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
If nobody here can remember how or even if ​it was used in marketing - well that tells you everything you need to know.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought "Signature" was supposed to mean the cleanest Windows experience possible? They do the same thing on certain laptops, but others don't have them. Someone told me once that the non-Signature laptops come with bloatware.

Also didn't HTC 8x, for the most part, get the updates first? Signature could have something to do with that? I don't know.

idk bout everybody else, but I know for a fact Verizon 8x was last.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep! Tells you how the carriers are still part of the update problem.

With WP7 we at least had the ability to force an update, if we were willing to employ a few tricks. Since WP8, consumers are completely at carriers mercy. Carrier's aren't just "still" a problem. I think the carriers are now a bigger problem than they ever were.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
HTC was "Signature"
Nokia was "Flagship"
Samsung was "Unreleased"

Nobody else had WP8 phones to release at launch.

I think that "flagship" designation just emerged out of WP community discussions. Had Samsung released their Ativ S in more places, surely we would also have called that a flagship phone, no? The "Signature" designation was much more official, as it was used by both HTC and Microsoft when HTC announced their WP8 line up.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
With WP7 we at least had the ability to force an update, if we were willing to employ a few tricks. Since WP8, consumers are completely at carriers mercy. Carrier's aren't just "still" a problem. I think the carriers are now a bigger problem than they ever were.
True, true. It was sweet being able to do the Zune cable trick *sniff-sniff*

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think that "flagship" designation just emerged out of WP community discussions. Had Samsung released their Ativ S in more places, surely we would also have called that a flagship phone, no? The "Signature" designation was much more official, as it was used by both HTC and Microsoft when HTC announced their WP8 line up.
That may be... I just did a search of the Windows Phone 8X by HTC page on windowsphone.com, and the word Signature does not appear anywhere on the page.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Of course I knew Nokia would get everyone's vote but there's one issue that really concerns me about this trend. It's already playing out over on Android. Samsung have managed to brand themselves so much now that Google has publicly admitted they're concerned about people now equating Android AS Samsung. They're right to dislike this situation because other than us, the geeks who populate these websites, there are actually quite a few consumers who don't even pay attention to the OS, they pay attention to what Brand logo is sitting on the device. "I bought a Samsung phone" or "what kind of smartphone is that? Is that a Samsung phone?" are phrases I've heard from not one, but every single person I've run across who wasn't into tech. Google's concern is that Samsung can use this influence to demand concessions from them that no other Android OEM has the power to do, or asking for a bigger cut of Google's Ad profits with the implied threat of branching off with their own Tizen OS and taking all the "Samsung phone" customers with them.

Should history repeat itself with Nokia being seen as the defacto WP8 phone (which is already happening), it's not at all far fetched to see an eventual situation where your average Joe/Jane walks into the store to buy a "Nokia Phone" regardless of what OS's UI is sitting on it. If MS wasn't at least keeping this in mind, I doubt very much they would've bothered with Surface and just let Nokia and others manufacture them like they've done with PC's. Microsoft isn't threatened about their branding on PC's because that's already so deeply entrenched for decades now that no single OEM could ever hope to emerge to the point where people don't know very well that their OS is Windows. That's not true in the mobile space.

Personally I think all WP8 manufacturers should be forced to not only slap the existing windows logo as the capacitive button already there, but have a big fat "Microsoft WP8" splashscreen at boot up instead of Nokia/HTC/Samsung

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you're right. I found the term on HTC's official press release. The term can also be found sprinkled across the web (youtube, blogs, etc).
Thanks. So essentially the 8S and 8X are the "first of many" signature Windows Phones to come from HTC. Still, if the customer can't tell what he's getting when he buys a "signature" phone (especially if the term is not marketed heavily), then the whole thing is a waste of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos