Nokia will not use Lumia in future devices..

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not making a statement or promoting a rumour. It is just my opinion and here is why..

As of today, the term Lumia has been used in 10 devices from Nokia. They already expire the cycle of the name because they already bumped up all of the older generation lumias.. 800->820, 510->520, and on.. They can't release another one because it will say: "Hey here is the 930 which is better than the 920 so don't buy the 920". In my opinion they will come up with a different name say EOS, Catwalk, Juggernaut,(introduce yours here) that will say "this device is different in hardware and in name, but offers an improved experience in software. You can still buy the 920 because its at the same level as the (whatever they call it)."

I think that it is very important for Nokia to change the name of their family to a "catchy" one, you know the likes of the Galaxy or iPhone.. (Don't include HTC ,the One is going to be destroyed by the GS4 again) in order to actually sell more devices. So far the lumia family is very well known for the experience that delivers to the user, I expect them to continue to deliver but with a different name and hardware..

Cheers..

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure they will drop the Lumia brand sometime in the future but I don't see that happening for a while. They have spent a lot of money building up that brand name and it would be foolish to abandond it at this point in time. What I foresee is Nokia introducing a new brand name along-side the Lumia devices.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It will be idiotic of Nokia to drop the name anywhere in the near future. Name/brand building takes a lot of time and effort. Why do you think everyone knows what a Galaxy phone is?

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They have invested a lot of time and money on the name/brand, so it would be an odd decision for them to simply drop it. Lumia has become basically synonymous with Windows Phone, and that's not a bad thing. Apple didn't drop the name iPhone even though it has appeared on 6 different phones already.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I doubt you will see that in the next couple of years.

Nokia has usually kept its naming systems for years. Nokia sold 20 million in a year with N-series smartphones (like N95) and Nokia kept that branding for 4 years. Business smartphones E -eries lived for 3 years. Before N-series and E-series the 4xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx branding lasted for 6 years.
Elop has already said that Lumia will be its own thing inside Windows Phone and the reason why Nokia didn't want the official Windows Phone branding that 8X went for. Nokia's Windows Phones are just as much Windows Phones as they are Lumias. Kind of repeating what they did with Symbian and S60 at the time.
I really don't see it going anywhere for a long time.

I'm sure you didn't mean it, but still wanna remind people that EOS, Catwalk etc are most likely Nokia's internal names for projects. Like Lumia 800=Sea Ray, N9=Lankku, N950=Dali, N900=Rover etc. RM-xxx are the more specific hardware builds.

It's branding. If they come up with a new name it will be to show how it surpasses the Lumia line.

Marketing 101.

Even in that case i would expect to see that inside the Lumia branding. Actually we have already seen that in a form of PureView. They could also rise the digits to Lumia xxxx, like they did with N-series.

Last edited:

TheLuminis620

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
They may drop it once it's aging too much, much like the N-Series branding. I don't think it will happen in a short while, because that will be a very idiotic move by Nokia. A new series to surpass the Lumia lines would make sense, but that one, I think won't come anytime soon.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A Lumia E7X would be very very nice. Long time E71 user here

They wont bring old Symbian smartphone brandings back, but i loved the N-series brand at the time. You truly were always getting the highest end available when you bought phone with N-series on the back.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Lumia is a pretty cool name. At least it is more original than Galaxy and much better than HTC's One series, surely they could have thought up something better than that? Nokia's number system makes it much easier to differentiate the level of the devices too compared to say Sony's Xperia lineup such as the Xperia U, P, S, SX, GX, J, V, T, TX, SL, J, E, Z, ZL etc etc. Good luck differentiating between those. With the Nokia system you can be pretty sure that the lower the number = lower range device. Nokia are running out of 3 digit numbers though.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but well they either keep introducing Lumia's with XXXX numbers and new branded devices. Or they could change to Pureview.. I know Lumia is very popular. Heck I have a L800 and a L900. But, my point is that the XXX numbering is fading away and I don't see at least in my opinion a foreseeable LXXX.. Maybe they will call it Lumia Pureview XXX or something like that. Anyways like to see opinions from everyone.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter?
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Yes it does.. Branding is what makes devices sell. Like Galaxy or iPhone. Even Xperia has a bit of branding outside of the U.S.. Lumia has become that, but i just can't see a 930 or 950 they have to bump it up to four digits as pointed out in other comments.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Lumia is the name for the Nokia Windows Phone. Changing that would be like Apple changing iPhone for their phones, or iPad for their tablets. Or Samsung moving away from their Galaxy name for Android. It just isn't going to happen. Too much money is invested into building the name to discard it after so few iterations. They may change the numbering convention, but never the Lumia name.

And for the record, I believe they still have roughly 990 three digit combinations available to them.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
And for the record, I believe they still have roughly 990 three digit combinations available to them.

Yes they do lol.. But they can't go lower.. People will think that they are lower end. For example if I tell you that the L100 is better than the L920 would you believe me?? Maybe, but our minds work "the higher, the better". Therefore, I don't see it feasible to use LXXX anymore. We'll see..

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am not making a statement or promoting a rumour. It is just my opinion and here is why..

As of today, the term Lumia has been used in 10 devices from Nokia. They already expire the cycle of the name because they already bumped up all of the older generation lumias.. 800->820, 510->520, and on.. They can't release another one because it will say: "Hey here is the 930 which is better than the 920 so don't buy the 920". In my opinion they will come up with a different name say EOS, Catwalk, Juggernaut,(introduce yours here) that will say "this device is different in hardware and in name, but offers an improved experience in software. You can still buy the 920 because its at the same level as the (whatever they call it)."

I think that it is very important for Nokia to change the name of their family to a "catchy" one, you know the likes of the Galaxy or iPhone.. (Don't include HTC ,the One is going to be destroyed by the GS4 again) in order to actually sell more devices. So far the lumia family is very well known for the experience that delivers to the user, I expect them to continue to deliver but with a different name and hardware..

Cheers..

I think you just contradicted yourself. You're saying 800->810/20, 900 -> 920 is bad but Galaxy S -> S1 -> S2 -> S3 -> S4 is good? Iphone -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Iphone 4 -> Iphone 4s -> Iphone 5 is good?

Everyone does it. ****, auto companies do it. It's a brand strategy that has been tested against time.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
In a sense yes.. But what I meant is the numbers. I think that Lumia could stay but the numbers are just fading away. And I tried to point out a new "catchy" name for their new family..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs