Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I still carry my old iPad 2 around with me everywhere I go not really because I don't /need/ to have it but because some of the apps on iOS are nice and sometimes its just nice to have facebook the way I was used to it before.

I'm still contemplating buying an iPad mini at the end of the year when they likely have a retina display, between the two devices I can see myself being pretty happy.

Anyone else feel this way? That they still need an android or an iOS device around to get through the day? And what do you think could alleviate this?
    Can it ever be alleviated? Sometimes I just think I carry it because of iOS nostalgia and I miss it if I'm honest about it. Oh, and I guess for the battery.
    Developer

Global Posts
    837 Global Posts
    I've been used to Windows Mobile and its lack of apps, and ever since I switched to WP8 it felt like everything I wanted was there. So to answer, no at the moment. I love my 822 :)
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thats good to hear!
    I have my iPad 2 as well. I have a galaxy note II if I want to play games on the go and don't feel like carrying the iPad.

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts
    Nope, Windows devices have always met my needs and never felt the desire to use apple or android devices.
    Last edited by theefman; 03-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Yep my iPhone. Lots of apps, mint, usaa, as well as some games and apps.
    No, I had a BlackBerry prior to Windows Phone, so I had way fewer apps. Windows Phone has all the apps I need.
    cedarlog likes this.

Yes of cause, There is no FM Radio on NL920, I have to carry my old N97 to listen to local radio stations on the move. These stations are not on internet and they do not need data services.

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I don't, but I usually do have my Surface with me when I'm at university :P I don't need it, but it naturally makes some stuff more convenient than on a mobile phone screen.

Even if WP8 had the best app selection in the world, I probably wouldn't have any more apps than I have now. I just dont see the point in them, when I can do most of the same stuff in the browser. As for games, I don't play them on mobile devices.

The one thing I do miss from my N8 is the FM transmitter. Sometimes when I go on a longer drive, I take my old N8 with me just for that reason. It sucks that the SoC is capable of FM transmitter, but WP8 isnt (yet)..

Yep. Still carry my HTC One X around. That one's rooted and I'm using Android Jelly Bean there.

Some of the crucial apps that I used are not in WP8. The Facebook experience in WP8 is horrible, especially messages.The updated Twitter is great but still has it's lackings. I have four accounts configured (2 personal/2 work) but the live tile doesn't show which account any new mentions/messages have come into. Haven't found a decent client for Pocket (read it later). I use Pocket quite frequently and it's a shame. The Kindle app doesn't sync personal documents so I can't look at my files the way I used to on my One X. There isn't an app for Pulse news reader. There are apps like Fuse or Weave but they aren't as good as Pulse or Flipboard. No Viber yet. I also miss some other apps like Getglue, Goodreads, Hipmunk and had to resort to mobile websites.

That's a long list, I know. Still using the Lumia 920 as my primary phone.
    Sent from my Grey Lumia 920 using Board Express

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    Still use my iphone to check my lumias phone plan data/call usage as there is NOT A SINGLE APP that does this on windows phone.
    Not on a small carrier either, largest carrier in Australia, but i am on a business plan (which isnt a problem for android and ios, but for some reason windows phone app devs don't care)

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    How's Facebook messages horrible on WP? They come in like any other, I can switch to facebook messages from SMS and back as I see fit and it's all neatly in a single conversation. Sending a FB message is also easy enough. I don't see the horrible in that at all.

If you do not want a shared inbox then don't. I could not care less which mail account something comes in on. I know who is on which anyway so I do not see the problem..
    Thanked by:
    Kebero 
    LeLee092 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
    How's Facebook messages horrible on WP? They come in like any other, I can switch to facebook messages from SMS and back as I see fit and it's all neatly in a single conversation. Sending a FB message is also easy enough. I don't see the horrible in that at all.

I agree. There are problems though such as no group conversations or sending pictures etc. through FB chat.

No.

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    No.

Global Posts
    1,069 Global Posts
    Until recently, I've always been a one device person. That changed when I bought my first eBook reader. Other than keeping a dedicated reader, I don't see a need for other devices (my Surface replaced my laptop).
    cameradork likes this.

No but my needs are pretty basic. Just web browsing, txt, and some gaming when I'm bored.

Yup. Unfortunately still need my iPad for a couple work (Webex, Cisco communicator) and personal apps (Mint.com). Also for a few games not available on WP.
    Developer

Global Posts
    948 Global Posts
    For phone calls I use only 8X (I also have iphone,but it is in notebook bag, using only when developing for iOS). But I also do have iPad 3 and ASUS Vivotab Smart. iPad 3 I use at home. Vivotab I carry with me at work to access corporate documents on Sharepoint on meetings.

Windows phone is good, but it cannot replace everything :)

I still carry around my 1st Gen iPod Touch simply because WP8's media player is still bush-league at this point.

When I go out for quick runs, I only bring my Lumia 920. When traveling or when I know I'll be waiting somewhere for a long time (doctor's office), I use a 7" Kindle Fire to watch movies, a PS Vita and/or 3DS for games and a Kindle Paperwhite for reading books (like Kebero, I find the ePaper reading experience far better than anything else).The Surface Pro handles my portable computing needs and the MacBook Pro is for work. *edit* - even though Spotify is now on WP8, I still find the experience better on my iPhone Touch 4S (disconnected), so I use that as a dedicated music streamer throughout the day. Oh, right, and as much as I love the camera in the 920, it still doesn't replace my dedicated camera gear if I know I'm going somewhere interesting or want a really stellar pic of something that no phone can capture adequately.

Side note, try NextGen Reader as a newsreader. It's really good and compatible with Google Reader (my primary newsreader on the desktop).

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
    There's no group messaging. I use it all the time on my iPhone 5 and was very surprised to find it missing in WP8.
    My 822 does everything I need it to do. When I travel I do bring a eInk Kindle just because the reading experience is better. But the 822 lets me manage all email, most notes (OneNote is awesome), and reading material (Pocket and rss readers) just fine. My one wish (and I know it is pretty specialized)... I teach high school math. I use OneNote to write all of my lessons. I write all of the math formulas with the OneNote equation editor. I can not read those special objects on my phone, much less edit them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    I still carry around my 1st Gen iPod Touch simply because WP8's media player is still bush-league at this point.
    You really think so? I have always thought that iTunes was an aesthetic load of crap. I haven't used an iPod Touch myself, but I assume that they followed in the way of creating ugly software. I love the Xbox Music UI (which borrows heavily from the Zune HD's UI). I like my Lumia 920 as a music player so much I don't even carry my Zune HD with my anymore, unless I'm going to be gone all day, as I don't quite trust the 920's battery to last all day while playing music.

I have no tablet, not keen on them just yet. I don't carry anything else for apps, not at all. I still HAVE my HTC Droid Incredible (was on Verizon, came to AT&T for the 920), just because I might WANT to learn to root and customize Android someday. Like I said, if I am leaving for a long stretch of time (like I went out of town for several hours last Saturday, that being the first time I actually did this), I will take my Zune HD with me for music, since I don't know that the 920's battery will last all day while playing music.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    I bring my ASUS Vivo Tab RT with me, because I have the keyboard dock as well, and it acts like a mini netbook. I bring it to use certain features and tasks for the convenience of the bigger screen, and all that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast