Do you still need another device on you aside form your wp8 in order to get by?

xWisp

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I still carry my old iPad 2 around with me everywhere I go not really because I don't /need/ to have it but because some of the apps on iOS are nice and sometimes its just nice to have facebook the way I was used to it before.

I'm still contemplating buying an iPad mini at the end of the year when they likely have a retina display, between the two devices I can see myself being pretty happy.

Anyone else feel this way? That they still need an android or an iOS device around to get through the day? And what do you think could alleviate this?
Can it ever be alleviated? Sometimes I just think I carry it because of iOS nostalgia and I miss it if I'm honest about it. Oh, and I guess for the battery.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been used to Windows Mobile and its lack of apps, and ever since I switched to WP8 it felt like everything I wanted was there. So to answer, no at the moment. I love my 822 :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nope, Windows devices have always met my needs and never felt the desire to use apple or android devices.

Last edited:

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes of cause, There is no FM Radio on NL920, I have to carry my old N97 to listen to local radio stations on the move. These stations are not on internet and they do not need data services.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't, but I usually do have my Surface with me when I'm at university :p I don't need it, but it naturally makes some stuff more convenient than on a mobile phone screen.

Even if WP8 had the best app selection in the world, I probably wouldn't have any more apps than I have now. I just dont see the point in them, when I can do most of the same stuff in the browser. As for games, I don't play them on mobile devices.

The one thing I do miss from my N8 is the FM transmitter. Sometimes when I go on a longer drive, I take my old N8 with me just for that reason. It sucks that the SoC is capable of FM transmitter, but WP8 isnt (yet)..

nashid_ashraf

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Still carry my HTC One X around. That one's rooted and I'm using Android Jelly Bean there.

Some of the crucial apps that I used are not in WP8. The Facebook experience in WP8 is horrible, especially messages.The updated Twitter is great but still has it's lackings. I have four accounts configured (2 personal/2 work) but the live tile doesn't show which account any new mentions/messages have come into. Haven't found a decent client for Pocket (read it later). I use Pocket quite frequently and it's a shame. The Kindle app doesn't sync personal documents so I can't look at my files the way I used to on my One X. There isn't an app for Pulse news reader. There are apps like Fuse or Weave but they aren't as good as Pulse or Flipboard. No Viber yet. I also miss some other apps like Getglue, Goodreads, Hipmunk and had to resort to mobile websites.

That's a long list, I know. Still using the Lumia 920 as my primary phone.
Sent from my Grey Lumia 920 using Board Express

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Still use my iphone to check my lumias phone plan data/call usage as there is NOT A SINGLE APP that does this on windows phone.
Not on a small carrier either, largest carrier in Australia, but i am on a business plan (which isnt a problem for android and ios, but for some reason windows phone app devs don't care)

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
How's Facebook messages horrible on WP? They come in like any other, I can switch to facebook messages from SMS and back as I see fit and it's all neatly in a single conversation. Sending a FB message is also easy enough. I don't see the horrible in that at all.

If you do not want a shared inbox then don't. I could not care less which mail account something comes in on. I know who is on which anyway so I do not see the problem..

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
How's Facebook messages horrible on WP? They come in like any other, I can switch to facebook messages from SMS and back as I see fit and it's all neatly in a single conversation. Sending a FB message is also easy enough. I don't see the horrible in that at all.

I agree. There are problems though such as no group conversations or sending pictures etc. through FB chat.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Until recently, I've always been a one device person. That changed when I bought my first eBook reader. Other than keeping a dedicated reader, I don't see a need for other devices (my Surface replaced my laptop).

Bill McGee

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Unfortunately still need my iPad for a couple work (Webex, Cisco communicator) and personal apps (Mint.com). Also for a few games not available on WP.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
For phone calls I use only 8X (I also have iphone,but it is in notebook bag, using only when developing for iOS). But I also do have iPad 3 and ASUS Vivotab Smart. iPad 3 I use at home. Vivotab I carry with me at work to access corporate documents on Sharepoint on meetings.

Windows phone is good, but it cannot replace everything :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven