Don't update nokia drive+

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have a Nokia device the "update" from Drive+ will update you to HERE Drive (not plus) and you will lose global navigation capability.

If you don't need global nav and only operate in your country then the update obviously won't affect you.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Could you let us know what it says please when you try to use global nav? It will help other users relate and seeing that particular error posted might jog their memories too. It's also good for news-tipping. :wink:

Dimi7287

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have a Nokia device the "update" from Drive+ will update you to HERE Drive (not plus) and you will lose global navigation capability.

If you don't need global nav and only operate in your country then the update obviously won't affect you.

There are two versions of Nokia Drive on the Store, you need to update to the correct version. One of them will not let you use the app, because it checks your SIM's MCC number and deems that the app is not supported.

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
false alarm. Some one downloaded the wrong app.
I know there are two apps. I didn't download anything, I clicked "update" and the store installed the non plus version. If I go direct to the URL to install the plus version I get "this app is not available for your device"

I've had a long twitter conversation with Nokia support and they (eventually) confirmed that plus is only for Lumia devices (grizlyadams is my twitter ID if you're particularly interested in reading the conversation with them)

I was in Spain at the time of the update which left me with no offline nav :-(

The message you get if you try to nav thru or in a country that is not part of your license is "NO NAVIGATION your route goes through a country or area that isn't covered by your licence"

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
the regional license thing is always been there just that they did not enforced until the last update.

In other words , they gave, then took away.

If I'd have had a "this will not work after x date" or a "warning, this update will remove the global licence" type message, I'd have planned around it and not been left without nav mid trip. Hardly the end of the world, I know, but very irritating nonetheless.

There seems to be general cconfusion within Nokia support about this too as it took them almost 2 days via a torturous "what SIM, remove reinsert, what phone, check with manufacturer for updates, here's the link to download, its in the store, where are you, what network are you on" set of questions.

Nokia support were themselves very much of the opinion that HERE Drive+ is available to non Lumia users until they checked deeper...

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Ah! Got it!

I shall immediately rush out and drop another ?400 on a 920 . . . with no SD card expansion and no removable battery.

Oh, wait perhaps not.

;-) ;-)

Come on. You know you want to. :p

OK, just in case I am just making a little fun of the situation even though I understand how frustrating it must be. If I am annoying you let me know and I'll stop the dumb posts. :)

At the same time I do understand Nokia's position of not giving the same app for Nokia and non-Nokia devices.

anon(5571020)

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Come on. You know you want to. :p
OK, just in case I am just making a little fun of the situation even though I understand how frustrating it must be. If I am annoying you let me know and I'll stop the dumb posts. :)

At the same time I do understand Nokia's position of not giving the same app for Nokia and non-Nokia devices.

:) if it had removable battery and SD card support, I'd have done it already! :)

No worries on the posts ;-)

I do understand Nokia's position re: their product differentiation; Its just the apparent PR/rebranding c0ck up that didn't convey that to the end user (or their own support department) that leaves a bad taste...

Don't get me started on how stupid the name is (both before and after the re-brand) ... talk about making a product name all but invisible to internet searches!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
its has always been a regional thing since they announce. Wants the full experience, get a Lumia. More exclusive OS update coming up too. No one to blame neither anyone is wrong. Just a trade off to have a mSD slot, decision, decision.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
its has always been a regional thing since they announce. Wants the full experience, get a Lumia. More exclusive OS update coming up too. No one to blame neither anyone is wrong. Just a trade off to have a mSD slot, decision, decision.

I would love to have an SD card... Mainly because I am an animal from a different era (not that I am old, I just think old, hehe :p)... I don't really use this cloud syncing business for music and pictures (and I know I am in the minority). In my Windows Mobile days I got used to have my pictures and my music in my sd card so that no matter how many times I changed phones or reset it my music and picutres would be ready to go. No need to re-download, or stream, or whatever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05