Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
Like Tree17Likes
  1. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
       #1  
    Twitter, whatsapp, Facebook etc etc. Same notification sound and no way to change it? The heck?!
  2. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #2  
    Why should there be? Notification is a notification, why bother separating them?
    savantfool likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Why should there be? Notification is a notification, why bother separating them?
    Because it will be difficult to differentiate who got the message if another windows phone user is sitting next it to you.
    Thanked by:
    ash29k 
  4. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshman Guntu View Post
    Because it will be difficult to differentiate who got the message if another windows phone user is sitting next it to you.
    That's a completely different point. Custom alert tone is something that probably should be implemented. My argument is that not every possible source for notifications should have a different tone in them.
  5. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Why should there be? Notification is a notification, why bother separating them?
    Because its 2013 and people want to know what their phone is telling them without picking it up and opening apps 50+ times a day.
    sueha, jdhooghe, dsal2 and 1 others like this.
  6. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Because its 2013 and people want to know what their phone is telling them without picking it up and opening apps 50+ times a day.
    I don't see how 2013 is relevant to this argument. What I understand is that you want to hear which app gave you the notification, but I don't understand why. Notification is a notification. Do you not look at your phone for certain type of notifications or what is it?
  7. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,822 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I don't see how 2013 is relevant to this argument. What I understand is that you want to hear which app gave you the notification, but I don't understand why. Notification is a notification. Do you not look at your phone for certain type of notifications or what is it?
    It would allow me to prioritize. Let's say I get a Yammer notification if MN signs up for it. I wanna check that pronto. A distinctive sound would tell me "Yammer, better get that sorted" whereas if it was different to say Facebook and I heard the Facebook tone I could be like "Facebook, will check that later." I can then tell what app it is without even getting the phone out of the pocket.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    sueha, jdhooghe and dsal2 like this.
  8. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    It would allow me to prioritize. Let's say I get a Yammer notification if MN signs up for it. I wanna check that pronto. A distinctive sound would tell me "Yammer, better get that sorted" whereas if it was different to say Facebook and I heard the Facebook tone I could be like "Facebook, will check that later." I can then tell what app it is without even getting the phone out of the pocket.
    Exactly. I'd probably go out of my way to check my phone for an SMS alert. I wouldn't bother so much with a Facebook notification.
  9. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #9  
    Doesn't that get very confusing after a while if you make a separate tone for each of your social networks?
  10. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #10  
    because app has no excess to notification sound. Even as an user you are not allow to add custom ringtone into the system. Fix is needed.
  11. MacDaMachine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    287 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Doesn't that get very confusing after a while if you make a separate tone for each of your social networks?
    Not at all.
  12. raacut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    56 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Why should there be? Notification is a notification, why bother separating them?
    I agree. I also want the custom ringtone option removed too . I dont like the freedom and customization it offers. Also the separate ringtone for each individual contact needs to be removed too . A phone call is a phone call why bother separating them ?


    -_-
    deuxani and Ultimateone like this.
  13. Tafsern's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by raacut View Post
    I agree. I also want the custom ringtone option removed too . I dont like the freedom and customization it offers. Also the separate ringtone for each individual contact needs to be removed too . A phone call is a phone call why bother separating them ?


    -_-
    What did custom ringtones ever do to you?

    I agree with Gaichuke. A notification sound is just to notify you that something is happening. If you, as Paladinleeds says he wants, want to check out something you just got notified by pronto, your probably so fast that you can see the toast notification. And it's not like you get 10 notifications a second.

    You get ONE notification for ONE thing that JUST happened. You then check your phone and it's there. How hard can it be. I have no problem finding the app that gave me the notification.
    Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?
  14. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #14  
    Lot of sarcasm in the air, it seems.

    I would still argue (I might be very wrong with this assertion) that this particular customization options sounds like something only maybe 1-5% of the users would actually use. I honestly don't see why anyone would bother micromanaging their device in this level.
    MorbidFun likes this.
  15. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Doesn't that get very confusing after a while if you make a separate tone for each of your social networks?
    You cant do that! Read my OP.
    And no it's not confusing. There are all but 4-5 max chat/social network apps that I use.
  16. dgreening's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #16  
    I prefer some customization. I do have separate ringtones for a few of my contacts. I want to know when my wife calls (you don't let that one go to voicemail) or my kids. The rest get a basic ringtone. I would prefer some customization for SMS also for the same reason. If it is just a random person sending me a text I might wait but if it is the wife I know she needs something. When it comes to apps it would be nice if they had unique tones. If I hear the ESPN tone I know it isn't that important at that moment. But to have no customization - why have a SMART Phone, sounds like any phone?
  17. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tafsern View Post
    And it's not like you get 10 notifications a second.
    I do, Maybe not 10 in a second but could be 10 in a minute on Facebook. I don't want no sound notifications for that, live tile/toast is fine. But I can't do that. Obviously you've not been in these situations which is why it seems weird to you.
  18. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,822 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,477 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tafsern View Post
    What did custom ringtones ever do to you?

    I agree with Gaichuke. A notification sound is just to notify you that something is happening. If you, as Paladinleeds says he wants, want to check out something you just got notified by pronto, your probably so fast that you can see the toast notification. And it's not like you get 10 notifications a second.

    You get ONE notification for ONE thing that JUST happened. You then check your phone and it's there. How hard can it be. I have no problem finding the app that gave me the notification.
    You would be surprised how badly I fumble when I try to get my Nokia out of my pocket...

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  19. robotaholic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #19  
    What kind of weird thread is this? It is a logical request. Who could deny that it would be useful? "You don't need that feature." It's 2013, I think there are flip phones with this ability.
    Thanked by:
  20. aaa6112's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    542 Posts
    #20  
    I agree with OP. The ability to assign different notification sounds to different apps would be beneficial to some. MSFT may not want apps to implement their custom notification sounds, and if that is the case, the least they can do is allow users to assign different in-built (built into the OS) notification sounds to different apps.
    This would obviously be optional, so all the people who think this is unnecessary can simply not touch this feature and use the one default notification sound for all apps.
  21. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    #21  
    The inability to choose a custom SMS tone is the first HUUUUGE issue. I should talk a poll to see how many Nokia users use the Nokia Message sound. In fact, I'll post that next.

    Blackberry was very popular because it allowed custom notifications for each person. Apple recently added this ability and when I still had my 4S, I found this extremely useful as I have a work email, a personal email, tutoring clients, my fiance, my friends, facebook alerts and a crap load else. I am in the lab and I don't want to have to pick up my phone for every. single. notification because I do not know what it is. It is easy to blow off a basic feature if you don't use it. Don't knock it until you try it ^_^
  22. D M2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #22  
    I agree with OP
  23. haydt1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I don't see how 2013 is relevant to this argument. What I understand is that you want to hear which app gave you the notification, but I don't understand why. Notification is a notification. Do you not look at your phone for certain type of notifications or what is it?
    No I don't want to look at my phone just because I received a notification. Some are important and others are not. Additionally I should be able to assign separate tones for my wife and children versus other people. Some things are important and others aren't. I don't care about FB but a text from my daughter is a different story. Have been able to do this kind of thing on BB and other platforms forever. That's why.
    Common Sense Computing Advice
    cscomputingblog.com
  24. Gaichuke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    288 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydt1 View Post
    No I don't want to look at my phone just because I received a notification. Some are important and others are not. Additionally I should be able to assign separate tones for my wife and children versus other people. Some things are important and others aren't. I don't care about FB but a text from my daughter is a different story. Have been able to do this kind of thing on BB and other platforms forever. That's why.
    I do see how that might be useful to some people. I just don't believe it's a feature that majority of the people actually use.

    I'm confused of your examples though. Let's imagine that WP8 supports custom ringtones. Your phone rings and you can hear it's not from your wife or daughter (default ringtone), do you not then always look who's calling?
  25. EauRouge's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I don't see how 2013 is relevant to this argument. What I understand is that you want to hear which app gave you the notification, but I don't understand why. Notification is a notification. Do you not look at your phone for certain type of notifications or what is it?
    Exactly, depending on what I'm doing checking my FB notifications falls low on my priority list
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Windows app vs Nokia app of the same nature
    By simoksays in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM
  2. does this have the same battery as the original samsung galaxy?
    By drop licks in forum Samsung Focus S 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
  3. Why do WP apps don't update much often?
    By kenzibit in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
  5. Anyone have the same problem with pictures?
    By Trader05 in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions