Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Daniel Ratcliffe
  • 2 Post By gamblers4
  • 1 Post By jaj324
  • 1 Post By conanheath
  • 1 Post By GreenScrew
  • 1 Post By BENNIEV

My phone or something has today sent out nearly 50 emails to various accounts. Not been on the PC today, so think it must be the phone.any ideas anyone?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    Check your email account hasn't been hacked, This does seem mighty suspicious.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

How do I check it? Oddly, none of the outgoing emails appear in my sent items.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just change your password on your email account, sounds as if it has been hacked.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and savantfool like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    Hacked for sure.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Will changing my password cure it? How the **** has it been hacked though? Via my phone?
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Sites are hacked everyday, Evernote just the other day. It only takes one that has your email and password. Your phone is far more secure than your computer and the internet. Your phone had nothing to do with it, trust me. Now, if you change your password and emails are still being sent, just another bug somewhere. Change your password and shouldn't have any more problems.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

In other words, change your email password and in the future when you have to create an online account that requires you to use your email address as your logon ID, DO NOT use your valid email account password. Simple enough practice that becomes challenging as we struggle to remember different passwords. The easy thing is to use the same id/pw combination but that is not a safe practice.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    In other words, change your email password and in the future when you have to create an online account that requires you to use your email address as your logon ID, DO NOT use your valid email account password. Simple enough practice that becomes challenging as we struggle to remember different passwords. The easy thing is to use the same id/pw combination but that is not a safe practice.
    will do. Only thing is, I do not use my email address for anything other than Xbox. I don't use same password on anything else either.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

This gives specific steps to deal with hacked Hotmail accounts; however, it would apply to any email accounts when it mentions passwords, malware scans on PC.
    Thanked by:

Sounds to me like your PC has a virus. There's a virus where they use your computer to send spam email but it might not be. Im not sure how it works or even if it works through email but I don't think its your phone
    Thanked by:

Turns out a ton of Yahoo accounts have had the same thing happen. I have had a few similar ones from people at work. Worrying. Time to run AVG.

Thanks for the input.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    2,282 Global Posts
    You've definitely been hacked. Just a couple of weeks back, I had a few people tell me that they received odd emails from me when I hadn't accessed that particular account in more than a month. Same thing happened countless times to my Twitter account since September (although that seems to be over at last). Changing your password should be enough. Try using a combination of lowercase and uppercase letters and numbers.
    Thanked by:

Seems to have hit a lot of Yahoo accounts. Speaking to a colleague at work and she received them from two other yahoo users. Just hope my computer has not been compromised. Running MS malicious software removal tool as we speak. Nothing found. I have also altered my password.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    Seems to have hit a lot of Yahoo accounts. Speaking to a colleague at work and she received them from two other yahoo users. Just hope my computer has not been compromised. Running MS malicious software removal tool as we speak. Nothing found. I have also altered my password.
    I got rid of Yahoo after several friends had their Yahoo accounts compromised. It didn't happen to me, but Yahoo's spam filters definitely left a lot to be desired. Most spam still made it to my inbox.

To be fair, they have managed to stop all junk coming to me, even stopped some genuine emails. Aside from he hacking, the gripe I have is the interface on the PC. It is so slow.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    I got two emails from Yahoo people yesterday. I decided to change my Yahoo password but now my WP will not sync. It keeps saying attention required even though the password is correct. If it does take it and sync, next time it tries to sync it says attention required again. This is happening to me and my wife. Two different 920s, two different Yahoo accounts. We both updated our passwords now we can't use the account on our WP's.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    I got two emails from Yahoo people yesterday. I decided to change my Yahoo password but now my WP will not sync. It keeps saying attention required even though the password is correct. If it does take it and sync, next time it tries to sync it says attention required again. This is happening to me and my wife. Two different 920s, two different Yahoo accounts. We both updated our passwords now we can't use the account on our WP's.
    Remove account entirely from phone and add it back with new password. It should clear it up.

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    Yeah, I tried that. No go. I think its a Yahoo thing. Happening on my iPod touch too now.

Thanks.

It is the email account, not the phone. Makes no difference if the PC has been on or not.
    Phone and PC, same email account, right.

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    Yes. Same email. I can login just fine on the PC and through the phones web browser. Just no longer works as adding the account through the phone settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Yes. Same email. I can login just fine on the PC and through the phones web browser. Just no longer works as adding the account through the phone settings.
    Quite odd that. I deleted yahoo email and then added it again. Changed the password using my PC and then all worked well. Working a treat now. I have a 920 too.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Don't forget to change your security questions and password reset answers AFTER you change your email password. I've had a few customers get their account hacked a second time because the hacker had changes their security questions....
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.