Transferring Windows Phone apps to new Microsoft Account

Yamishi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have an old ISP e-mail address, and I'm switching ISPs. I will no longer have access to that account. Therefore, I used an Xbox 360 to transfer my Gamertag to a new Outlook.com e-mail address. All of my Xbox content transferred over fine. My Zune Pass and music all went with it. Cool.

But not my apps. I just reformatted my phone and logged in with my new Outlook account, but it seems that I must re-purchase my apps in order to use them. What gives? I was under the impression that app purchases went along with the account transfer.

Any guidance?

Edit: It seems that some apps (seemingly ones that I purchased in early 2012) are tied to my Outlook account, but newer apps/games (example, Sonic CD) are still demanding that I pay for them again. Is this something that takes time, and I'm just being impatient? Also, do any of my contacts come over? I'd hate to have to re-add all of the people that I previously manually added to my old Microsoft Account.

Last edited:

Yamishi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't rename it. It tells me my account cannot be renamed. Therefore, I made a new account and transferred my current Gamertag over to it, as per this guide: Guide: How to get a new Live ID and keep all your Windows Phone app purchases | Windows Phone Central

Strangely, SOME apps/games (Sonic 4: Episode 1, for example) are freely re-downloadable on my new Outlook account, while some (Sonic CD) want me to re-pay. Is it just taking time to transfer them all over, or is it just that apps purchased before a certain date will go over?

Blah, this is so complicated.

Last edited:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if this is going to show up or if it is still in my sig, but you should beable to call "Zune" Support or Xbox Support and they will help you.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Yamishi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure if this is going to show up or if it is still in my sig, but you should beable to call "Zune" Support or Xbox Support and they will help you.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been helping some friends move.

I called up various Microsoft support folks (five in total) and their responses ranged from confused to bewildered. Apparently, the apps ARE supposed to transfer over, and no one can tell me why they're not. Ultimately, the last rep I spoke to told me they were undertrained for "Windows 7 Phones" and redirected to Nokia support, but honestly, I can't see what they're going to be able to do for me if Microsoft can't figure out their own account problems.

So, I guess my solution is going to move my accidentally-created Gamertag (currently on my ISP account) onto a dummy account and move my real Gamertag back to my ISP account. Then I'll have to find a friend or relative with the same ISP to let me add my e-mail address to their account.

And here's hoping that when I move my accidentally-created Gamertag onto a dummy account, it doesn't take all of my apps with it. How terrible would it be if a glitch caused my account to basically get split into two? Sigh. Why is it so much hassle to just switch my damn e-mail address on my account?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers