Two WiFi networks in home, phone always connects to wrong one

seenable

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Our house is oddly shaped with a bunch of interference-causing appliances in the perfectly wrong spots, so we basically have two different WiFi networks, located on near-opposite ends of the house.

My phone (Lumia 920) has a penchant for connecting to the weaker signaled network upon wake (connects, gets weak signal, but not enough signal to do anything). I literally think it connects to the weaker option every single time. And the way our house is set up, 90% of the time you'll be in an area where you'll only get a usable signal from one of the wifi networks. So when it connects to that weaker network, it's unusable. Nullifying the 3G/4G at the same time is an added bonus.

Is there a way I can change the phone wifi's priorities, so that it better prioritizes signal strength among remembered networks? Or, at least, is there a way I can more quickly monitor and change which network I am connected to?

Last edited:

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
In the wifi setting go to advanced and you will have a list of known networks. Delete the one you dont want to use and possibly untick Notify me when new networks are found. Should only connect to the one you want now.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
1. Use a repeater.
2. Configure both APs with the same SSID, but on different channels.
3. Use an app like Toggle or Quick Settings to create a shortcut to WiFi settings and then toggle between them manually.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
1. Use a repeater.
2. Configure both APs with the same SSID, but on different channels.
3. Use an app like Toggle or Quick Settings to create a shortcut to WiFi settings and then toggle between them manually.

Doesn't matter whether it's a repeater or wap. Set the channel to automatic, set the SSID the same and make sure it is configured to communicate with the primary router correctly (depends on the device you are configuring). At this point, the phone will be smart enough to crossover automatically depending on the strongest detected network.

In more advanced devices, like windows laptops, you can set the crossover to be automatic or manual depending on your preference. All the windows phones do this automatically in my house it seems.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter whether it's a repeater or wap. Set the channel to automatic, set the SSID the same and make sure it is configured to communicate with the primary router correctly (depends on the device you are configuring). At this point, the phone will be smart enough to crossover automatically depending on the strongest detected network.

In more advanced devices, like windows laptops, you can set the crossover to be automatic or manual depending on your preference. All the windows phones do this automatically in my house it seems.
Seems legit but its not. I also have two WiFi networks and when I'm on the third floor ( WIFI2 ) it still stays connected to my 1 barred network ( WIFI1 ) I just toggle it, it seems easiest. Note this also happens at work so its not a rare case for me.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Hotspot passthrough works only if both wireless access points share the same SSID, password, and encryption type. I have no issues with it automatically choosing the best one to use. I'm in a triplex apartment and I can even get full signal in the basement apartment (I'm top floor), and full signal in the detached garage. Walking from one side to the other, the WiFi passthrough is automatic and invisible to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre