Any advantage using WP8 with Win8 PC?

Boris Gong

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So one of the big stories MS told us about WP8 was "it share the same kernal with Win8, integration will be easier"

I am curious did anyone actually get the advantage of it? Was that "three screen and a cloud" things happening?
Yes develop a WP App and port it to WP8 became possible, but as a user I dont see much difference.
All I can see was the same old Skydrive as WP7.8 .

Did I miss something?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it is more of a concept than an advantage today, although clearly the development tools permit code sharing between platforms.

Now WP8 is on the same platform as the desktop it will be possible to share more and more APIs and code between them, however given the historic disparity this will improve over time.

Getting the kernel in was the foundation of everything else that will come.

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think its an advantage. It would be amazing if a windows 8 PC had the same look on Windows Phone 8 and if you moved a tile on any of the systems it automatically synced it accordingly. That would be something that will come in the future to keep everything inline and up to date. As of right now they are still two separate devices with no true connection at all

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
http://www.windowscentral.com/galactic-reign-windows-8-impressions

A glimpse of things to come, hopefully.

We *should* be seeing more apps with azure cloud based storage that work seamlessly across the two platforms, but that is sort of a big project and most WP devs are either small or tentatively testing the waters.

The inherit benefit of WP8 is that you do not need to install any software or a client to manage music/pictures/videos: that is the advantage of using it under windows.

Old news for android users, but iOS still requires that you install the incredibly ****ty iTunes before you're allowed to do *anything whatsoever*, so it's nice that a closed platform has the decency to not require proprietary software.

Boris Gong

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's interesting enough for WP8 user to buy and upgrade to Windows 8

Guess I would stick with Win7 for this moment

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The only advantage I see so far is the SkyDrive integration with your pictures and videos. Music integration is not bad either, whether you buy music on your phone or your desktop it all goes to your collection.

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
As other people have posted the game integration is quite cool but real integration seems to just be ideas at the moment. Right now I can't even send a file from my Windows 8 tablet to my phone via NFC.

The Windows 8 sync app does have some different features to the desktop app but right now you get a better sync experience with WP7 and Zune or with WP8 and a Mac rather than a WP8 and Win8.

My WP8 phone is much more of a standalone device than my WP7 was. I maybe plug it in once a month to transfer my photos (I don't do auto-upload to SkyDrive) but otherwise they may as well be using different OS's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077