Is it better?!

NecessarySkills

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I really wanted a Windows phone when they first came out. I finally got one in June a couple years ago. I wanted to love it, and I did and do, but we all have to admit it that there are some problems. I am hoping they are fixed in WP 8.

The Me tile for instance, the check in part of it doesn't let you edit much. I have to use the crappy FB app. for anything more than just checking in myself. I'm hoping social networking is as good on WP8 as it was supposed to be on WP7.

With WP8 being able to utilize stronger hardware components, I'm hoping the sporadic hang ups and slowness won't happen.

I hope I can set my own sounds for text message tones.

I noticed on WP8 the app. list doesn't have letters over each alphabetical section, which I loved because I could jump to apps very quickly in WP7. I hope this is available in WP8. I couldn't find an option in WP8 to do this. I hope it is.

Basically, I want you guys who have WP8's to help me decide whether or not to get one. I don't want to go to iOS or android. Especially not iOS, What I want is the WP OS to be what it's supposed to be and not have a bunch of annoying problems.

So, if you people can share any knowledge with me to help me feel better about getting a WP8 or if I need to just deal with an android phone, that would be great.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
What features are you looking for in posting to facebook from the me tile? It suites my needs most of the time. I have not had many hangups etc but they do happen on any modern day hardware from time to time, I actually had my iPhone 5 lock up more than I have had my Lumia 920 lock up. You can set different tones for text but they are limited in selection compared to ring tones. The app list gains the letters somewhere around 50 apps installed.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions. I personally am very happy with WP8, it's super quick and looks awesome.

NecessarySkills

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I want to be able to use my own tones for texts, not whatever the phone allows. Also, I'm hoping to get a 920, so I'm glad to hear from someone who has one. With the Me tile, on WP7 you can only checkin yourself and the only way to do more than just check yourself in with a message is through the crappy FB app. The 50+ app thing makes sense. Thanks for your input.

Anyone else have anything to say? :D

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is missing basic phone functionality. Its as simple as that. There is no universal phone search . There is no way to exit an app directly (you have to constantly press the back button to exit an app). heck there is no way to turn vibrate on and off without manually going into settings and doing it every time. No sound profiles either. No LED notification. No way to set custom alerts for messages , email etc. Infact the notification sound for facebook , twitter , whatsapp etc. CANNOT be changed.
There is no way to actually stop the music you are playing. You can pause music , but to stop music and erase the player from the volume UI you have to download an app ( stop the music). There is no way to search for music in the music player , u have to download a separate app for it. I could go on and on with my annoyances with the OS but i'll stop here.
The apps are not an issue for me. I have all the apps i need.
When it comes to the choice i made , i made it because i wanted a stable, silky smooth operating system. That means iOS or WP8.
Being that i am hugely anti-apple i went for the lumia 920 .
I like the design and i like that its rock solid.The phone works as intended. I have had no problems , no hangups . Battery takes a few charge cycles to stabilize.

I think i made a mistake and should have gone for an android phone , because in the grand scheme of things I miss basic phone functionality :(. Oh well I'll do more research next time instead of putting blind faith in Nokia again.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
The Me tile checkin on WP8 lets you specify a message, which services you want to check into and (for FB) who should see the checkin (if memory serves the options are "use facebook settings", "friends", "friends of friends" etc)

You can install custom ringtones but not custom message tones.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is missing basic phone functionality. Its as simple as that. There is no universal phone search . There is no way to exit an app directly (you have to constantly press the back button to exit an app). heck there is no way to turn vibrate on and off without manually going into settings and doing it every time. No sound profiles either. No LED notification. No way to set custom alerts for messages , email etc. Infact the notification sound for facebook , twitter , whatsapp etc. CANNOT be changed.
There is no way to actually stop the music you are playing. You can pause music , but to stop music and erase the player from the volume UI you have to download an app ( stop the music). There is no way to search for music in the music player , u have to download a separate app for it. I could go on and on with my annoyances with the OS but i'll stop here.
The apps are not an issue for me. I have all the apps i need.
When it comes to the choice i made , i made it because i wanted a stable, silky smooth operating system. That means iOS or WP8.
Being that i am hugely anti-apple i went for the lumia 920 .
I like the design and i like that its rock solid.The phone works as intended. I have had no problems , no hangups . Battery takes a few charge cycles to stabilize.

I think i made a mistake and should have gone for an android phone , because in the grand scheme of things I miss basic phone functionality :(. Oh well I'll do more research next time instead of putting blind faith in Nokia again.

WP8 is definitely missing some functionality that I would like but most of what you describe is pretty trivial for me at least...
1. Universal search - I'm not sure if I really want that to be honest...when I search it already searches on the web, what's close by, etc...If I want to search emails I open the email app up and there we go...search away...perhaps I'm missing something
2. There is really no reason to exit an app as they are tombstoned...they are not taking away resources like with android
3. Sound profiles - don't bother me but I would like to have individual volume's for more things...this is a definitely an area of basic functionality that is missing
4. Stop music - I don't understand the problem here at all...again, perhaps I'm not as anal as you are
5. Search is there in the marketplace...for songs on your device they are listed alphabetically

No system is perfect...you will find you have issues with any of the platforms if the above bother you that much

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
WP8 is definitely missing some functionality that I would like but most of what you describe is pretty trivial for me at least...
1. Universal search - I'm not sure if I really want that to be honest...when I search it already searches on the web, what's close by, etc...If I want to search emails I open the email app up and there we go...search away...perhaps I'm missing something
2. There is really no reason to exit an app as they are tombstoned...they are not taking away resources like with android
3. Sound profiles - don't bother me but I would like to have individual volume's for more things...this is a definitely an area of basic functionality that is missing
4. Stop music - I don't understand the problem here at all...again, perhaps I'm not as anal as you are
5. Search is there in the marketplace...for songs on your device they are listed alphabetically

No system is perfect...you will find you have issues with any of the platforms if the above bother you that much

1 through 5 all the platforms (Android, BB , Iphone ) have those functions.

did you just also equate listing something alphabetically to a search ? They are not the same my good man -_-

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
1 through 5 all the platforms (Android, BB , Iphone ) have those functions.

did you just also equate listing something alphabetically to a search ? They are not the same my good man -_-

The search store option also looks for songs stored on the phone.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Got quite a few songs on there , but non of them show up when I search one from the store. Just went ahead and downloaded "find my music" app

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I want to be able to use my own tones for texts, not whatever the phone allows. Also, I'm hoping to get a 920, so I'm glad to hear from someone who has one. With the Me tile, on WP7 you can only checkin yourself and the only way to do more than just check yourself in with a message is through the crappy FB app. The 50+ app thing makes sense. Thanks for your input.Anyone else have anything to say? :D
So, you can choose different ring tones. But not for contacts. Just one for calls, text, notifications. And yes, it allows for customization. I haven't done it though.Check in doesn't use the Facebook app. I haven't even downloaded that. I don't see why. I can do everything that app does with People, Me and Messaging.I have the yellow Lumia 920 and it's fantastic. I don't have any complaints yet. I love how people see my phone and comment it. That never happens with an Android. My cousins today who saw my phone were like is that a yellow phone? My friend at work asked if that case came with the phone. I smiled and said that is the phone. The phone itself is a good advertisement of who the holder of the phone is and for window's phone 8.You should just walk into a store and try it. Buy it and make sure you test everything within 13 days. You have 14 days to return the phone. Worse case you are out the restocking fee.

NecessarySkills

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So, you can choose different ring tones. But not for contacts. Just one for calls, text, notifications. And yes, it allows for customization. I haven't done it though.Check in doesn't use the Facebook app. I haven't even downloaded that. I don't see why. I can do everything that app does with People, Me and Messaging.I have the yellow Lumia 920 and it's fantastic. I don't have any complaints yet. I love how people see my phone and comment it. That never happens with an Android. My cousins today who saw my phone were like is that a yellow phone? My friend at work asked if that case came with the phone. I smiled and said that is the phone. The phone itself is a good advertisement of who the holder of the phone is and for window's phone 8.You should just walk into a store and try it. Buy it and make sure you test everything within 13 days. You have 14 days to return the phone. Worse case you are out the restocking fee.

Alright, so some are saying one thing and others another. WHICH IS IT!?

Astraith, on my Windows 7 phone, I can't do everything the FB app can do through the check in on the Me tab. That's why I asked. You're saying this was finally corrected in WP8?

And if what you say is true, then they down graded a little because on my WP7 I can make different tones for each contact (and custom tones, not just the ones that come with the phone) but I can't do that on WP8?!?!

Basically I want the WP8 to be a big improvement from WP7. I'm getting mixed reviews. Some things I'm unhappy with on my current Windows Phone are things that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Some people are saying the issues are still there. I'm still really uncertain on whether or not to get one. I really love the OS, but it has too many issues that shouldn't be there in the first place. It's not like their the first cell phone or smart phones made. They have basic things they can build off of. But Windows seems to like to leave stuff on accident or on purpose.

I'd like the phone to not hang up or slow down or reset like my current one does. I'd like to set my OWN ring tone for text messages, and I'd like to be able to do everything I can on social media through the OS itself, like its supposed to, but doesn't. I believe those are my main issues. If you're saying those are fine, then I may give it a go. Like you said, all I'll be out is a restocking fee in the event I am not happy with it.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Alright, so some are saying one thing and others another. WHICH IS IT!? Astraith, on my Windows 7 phone, I can't do everything the FB app can do through the check in on the Me tab. That's why I asked. You're saying this was finally corrected in WP8? And if what you say is true, then they down graded a little because on my WP7 I can make different tones for each contact (and custom tones, not just the ones that come with the phone) but I can't do that on WP8?!?! Basically I want the WP8 to be a big improvement from WP7. I'm getting mixed reviews. Some things I'm unhappy with on my current Windows Phone are things that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Some people are saying the issues are still there. I'm still really uncertain on whether or not to get one. I really love the OS, but it has too many issues that shouldn't be there in the first place. It's not like their the first cell phone or smart phones made. They have basic things they can build off of. But Windows seems to like to leave stuff on accident or on purpose.I'd like the phone to not hang up or slow down or reset like my current one does. I'd like to set my OWN ring tone for text messages, and I'd like to be able to do everything I can on social media through the OS itself, like its supposed to, but doesn't. I believe those are my main issues. If you're saying those are fine, then I may give it a go. Like you said, all I'll be out is a restocking fee in the event I am not happy with it.
Hmm, I might be wrong on the contacts then. Because I didn't know on my old HTC Arrive That i could could have different ringtones for each contact. It's not really a feature I use, so in honest I haven't checked.There might be one thing you need the app for. Looking at peoples pictures. But I don't really do that so I don't care. But you can post on ppls walls. Read there post. See your notifications. Post on your wall. See your own pictures. Chat on Facebook chat. See who is online. Sorry for the confusion. But that's why I said for you to try it out. Everyone looks for different things in phones. I look for good web browser, good music, good camera and a great screen. The Lumia does all of that well and more. Obviously, you look for other things. So go try it out and see what you like. Might take multiple trips but at some point you'll know everything you need to know.Good luck either way.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
LMAO .. welcome to the windows phone forums.

To reiterate on my earlier post , The phone has worked like a charm for me. ( that is to say it works as intended)

However you cannot set custom tone for texts. It annoys me quite a bit along with other things i already mentioned. Here's a wonderful thread that got closed recently because it had "run its course". http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...do-all-apps-have-same-notification-sound.html .Notifications on this phone are quite restricted to say the least.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here are two threads you might find helpful.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ood-things-about-wp8-why-wp-will-succeed.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nt-like-wp8-part-2-what-wp-needs-succeed.html

One thing you should keep in mind is Microsoft wants the three screen experience. My WP is my pocket screen I use to do things quickly. Its not always feature rich. Your not going to buy a WP and get rid of your tablet or laptop. Your WP will do all the necessary things well especially work related stuff like office apps. WP is also very secure many times described as the most secure platform. The OS is fast and smooth with many of the every day needs covered in house. When I get to the end of what my WP can do its time to pull out my Surface. Honestly who wants to publish a novel from their phone. Seriously!

Last edited:

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. The Windows Support Forum is full of those small issues. I really really hope MS get all of them fixed. This would decently make it the competitor in the smart phone business.

NecessarySkills

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I'm not looking to write anything. I'm not trying to replace my PC. I want it to be a phone. A smart phone. And it's lacking things smart phones before it have. That's what I don't understand about windows phone. I love the OS. I really do. But this is their second phone now and they sill haven't figured it out. If you look on their site, for example, everyone and their mom is suggesting custom alert tones.

Now, I still haven't had my other question answered, really. Can someone who uses the Me tile a lot tell me that they've improved it from WP7? I hate having to use the FB app if I want to check in with more than one person and ad photos and stuff.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Let's break this down shall we

The thing is, I'm not looking to write anything. I'm not trying to replace my PC. I want it to be a phone. A smart phone. And it's lacking things smart phones before it have. That's what I don't understand about windows phone. I love the OS. I really do. But this is their second phone now and they sill haven't figured it out. If you look on their site, for example, everyone and their mom is suggesting custom alert tones.

As far as I know the custom text tones and others will be added in a future update. It seems to be a feature that a very small amount of the population cares about as WP has the highest customer satisfaction ratings than all the other OSes that do have this feature.

Now, I still haven't had my other question answered, really. Can someone who uses the Me tile a lot tell me that they've improved it from WP7? I hate having to use the FB app if I want to check in with more than one person and ad photos and stuff.

As far as the Me tile the option to adjust privacy settings for each post is there now and seems to be smoother with delivering notifications. That's the only change from WP7. Checking in with others is not there, it's more of an API issue than an OS issue which is something Facebook needs to update.

NecessarySkills

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
That's news. WP7 was not doing too well. I'm glad it's picked up steam. But for the Me tile thing, how is it not an OS thing? In my WP7, I don't have any options to do more than just myself and a message. Perhaps both sides need to work it out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes