Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree5Likes
  1. TripsG's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I seem to have all of the interestingly strange issues. My latest is the following:

    When I miss a call at work, my work phone (VOIP system) will send me an email with a .wav file so I can listen to the voice mail from my computer or phone.

    On my old iPhone I can click on this file and listen to the voice mail easily. On my 920 it says "Sorry, we can't play this file on your phone."

    Does anyone have a workaround for this or any ideas as to how I can hear these when they get delivered?

    Thanking you in advance.
  2. vedichymn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    This is a known issue, no one knows a timeframe for resolution.
    TripsG likes this.
  3. TripsG's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by vedichymn View Post
    This is a known issue, no one knows a timeframe for resolution.
    Well, that kinda blows. Okay. I can be patient.
  4. Lelor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Yes!! That definitely blows!! The IT guys at work hit the nail on the head when they saw this and made the comment about how does Microsoft expect to compete in the enterprise level with the WP8 when it can't play a simple .wav file which just about all work VOIP systems utilize. Plus, all of the Apple faithful are just snickering once again. I guess in the meantime we will just click our heels and keep repeating - "there's no place like home... there's no place like home..."

    Update Microsoft, update...!!!??????
  5. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Androids can't play them either. The upside is somebody wrote an app to do it.
  6. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Yah, most androids can't. Samsung added it to their music player and MX player can play them. VLC should be coming, so I hope it has .wav embedded in it. This is a problem for me too, as I am looking to switch to WP8 in June and our system using .wav vm to email as well.
  7. avsef's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I heard the problem was not technical but $$$. The way the story goes the license holder wanted too much money and MSFT refused to pay it.
  8. x I'm tc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    WAV file is a format developed by MS. Its formal name is 'Audio for Windows' format. So, it is absolutely unforgivable that it doesn't play.
  9. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by avsef View Post
    I heard the problem was not technical but $$$. The way the story goes the license holder wanted too much money and MSFT refused to pay it.
    I heard that too and used to think that as well, but I'm not sure if it's true. Heck, it's possible you got that idea from some of my previous posts about it. :) We actually reached out to our corporate Microsoft contacts and they ensured us that it was a bug and they were well aware of it and that it would be fixed in a future update. This was pre-portico and I was hoping it would be fixed there, but alas it was not.
  10. theomodsim's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I spent a good part of last Saturday working on an app that plays voicemails sent from my company's voicemail system. I found out that the voicemail system sends out .wav files that use the u-law algorithm (see μ-law algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details) and I discovered that the WP8 media player can play .wav files that contain raw (uncompressed) PCM data, so I whipped up a converter that converts u-law data to linear PCM data, then writes it out as a .wav file. This file is then passed to the media player for playback. I was quite happy to see that I was able to get this working, and I had no issues playing voicemail files on my phone that previously didn't play.

    What I wasn't happy about was discovering that my app couldn't register to handle the .wav file extension, as that file extension is considered to be "restricted" because the built-in media player is registered to handle files of that extension. What that means is, I couldn't open .wav files attached to an e-mail and have my app play them. I had to first upload them to SkyDrive, and the only way to do that is to go on my desktop and first download the .wav attachment and then upload to SkyDrive. Obviously this makes having an app that can play .wav files virtually useless, because I can just listen to the voicemail directly on the computer without having to go through uploading it to SkyDrive, etc.

    What this all means is that it's currently impossible for any 3rd party developer to make an app that plays .wav attached to e-mails. Microsoft will either have to bake in support playing compressed codecs into the media player or relax the restrictions on 3rd party apps registering to handle certain file types.
  11. Steven Piazza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    This needs to be fixed. Its been a problem for too long. How can I recommend WP8 to corp environment with this limitation? When competing against iPhone, this functionality is a must.
    TripsG likes this.
  12. TripsG's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    I spent a good part of last Saturday working on an app that plays voicemails sent from my company's voicemail system. I found out that the voicemail system sends out .wav files that use the u-law algorithm (see μ-law algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details) and I discovered that the WP8 media player can play .wav files that contain raw (uncompressed) PCM data, so I whipped up a converter that converts u-law data to linear PCM data, then writes it out as a .wav file. This file is then passed to the media player for playback. I was quite happy to see that I was able to get this working, and I had no issues playing voicemail files on my phone that previously didn't play.

    What I wasn't happy about was discovering that my app couldn't register to handle the .wav file extension, as that file extension is considered to be "restricted" because the built-in media player is registered to handle files of that extension. What that means is, I couldn't open .wav files attached to an e-mail and have my app play them. I had to first upload them to SkyDrive, and the only way to do that is to go on my desktop and first download the .wav attachment and then upload to SkyDrive. Obviously this makes having an app that can play .wav files virtually useless, because I can just listen to the voicemail directly on the computer without having to go through uploading it to SkyDrive, etc.

    What this all means is that it's currently impossible for any 3rd party developer to make an app that plays .wav attached to e-mails. Microsoft will either have to bake in support playing compressed codecs into the media player or relax the restrictions on 3rd party apps registering to handle certain file types.
    Excellent information, Theomodsim. Good work, albeit ultimately fruitless. I guess I just keep carrying my iPhone around when I'm away from my office...(sigh)...
  13. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    this and file handling are the only things i'm really nervous about when I go to adopt WP. Android can't natively play .wav either, but they at least allowed dev's to register to be on the list to play the extension so I can choose MX player to play them.
  14. Schmitty63's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Shame on me for not doing my homework. Had to change format many years of blackberry use when company would not upgrade to new enterprise server. Totally unacceptable that I cannot listen to voicemails received through Outlook. Took a chance on WP and regret that decision.
  15. Ali Babba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty63 View Post
    Shame on me for not doing my homework. Had to change format many years of blackberry use when company would not upgrade to new enterprise server. Totally unacceptable that I cannot listen to voicemails received through Outlook. Took a chance on WP and regret that decision.
    Sadly WP8 lacks some (what I would consider) basic enterprise stuff. I really, really hope MS gets their crap together. They really could have cornered that segment if they had their stuff together. I like WP8 as my personal device, but I'd be hesitant to deploy it in an enterprise right now.
  16. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,465 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    It will be fixed. We just don't know when. When we first started testing WP8 we went to our Microsoft contacts and brought this issue up. They flat out told us they are aware of it and it will be fixed in an upcoming version. The question is just when. It also really bothers me that this was missed initially. Getting voicemails in your email is a pretty common thing in the business world and the vast majority use the same codecs. Worst. Testing. Ever.

    For the record it still bothers the heck out of me that Android also will not play these same files. Yes, there are third party apps, but it's a pain in the rear telling our users to download some crap apps to get their voicemails to play. :)
    Schmitty63 likes this.
  17. joe4au's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    My HTC 8x Windows Phone plays .wav files in emails that I've received from a Mitel phone system through my exchage server. However, for my personal voicemails from Vonage that I receive via a POP account, I can't listen to them. Are there different types of .wav files?
  18. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    ... I found out that the voicemail system sends out .wav files that use the u-law algorithm (see μ-law algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details) and I discovered that the WP8 media player can play .wav files that contain raw (uncompressed) PCM data...
    Quote Originally Posted by joe4au View Post
    My HTC 8x Windows Phone plays .wav files in emails that I've received from a Mitel phone system through my exchage server. However, for my personal voicemails from Vonage that I receive via a POP account, I can't listen to them. Are there different types of .wav files?
  19. epowers007's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    This is ridiculous, I am a Cisco UC engineer and I look likea dope not being able to play Voicemail .wav files from my WP8 work phone! Surrounded by iPhones, come ‘on MicrosoftStep it up!
  20. ninny1176's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Yes there are different codecs for encoding WAV files...WP8 can play Linear PCM, but can't play u-law.
  21. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    I tested and our Mitel format is not playable on a client's 8x. We are currently in dispute with our phone vendor (we are an IT company, we don't do phones) so we are holding off on calling a competitor to check if it will do a different format.
  22. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    My firm upgraded our phone system to Shoretel last week, and I now discovered that I can't play the recorded v/m messages on my 8X. Another topic about this issue here: Cannot play voicemail .wav files
  23. David Smith13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Has anybody found a "service" that you can forward your email too and it automatically transcribes?

    That to me would be simple enough for now!
  24. nunyazz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Smith13 View Post
    Has anybody found a "service" that you can forward your email too and it automatically transcribes?

    That to me would be simple enough for now!
    You mean like Google Voice?
  25. gmfeld's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Smith13 View Post
    Has anybody found a "service" that you can forward your email too and it automatically transcribes?

    That to me would be simple enough for now!
    check out phoneconvert.com

    I haven't used it but it is referenced in another thread on this same issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need Mp3 app to play files in Folder
    By kurtd in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
  2. Failing to Show Photos in Emails
    By jonjonhenzell in forum Upcoming and Rumored Tablets
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
  3. Is there a way to turn off threads in email?
    By baseballbert in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM
  4. how do uplaod and doawnlad files in Windows Mobile devices?
    By sahand#WP in forum Site Feedback & Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

";