WP8 / Lumia 920 Questions

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got a L920. Played around with it for about 15 minutes so far and I have some questions... (New to WP8 OS)

1.) Is there no way to add someone from texts to your contacts list? I.E. link a name?
I access the contacts via "people" "all"
That's the only way to add people and phone numbers?
Why is it called a "New Hotmail Contact?"

2.) No way to get battery percentage on the start screen at the top?
I have to go into settings > battery saver every time to see the % of battery left? Is there any kind of app that is good for this?

3.) Under settings > lock screen
You can only have one app to show a detailed status? (Well I wouldn't exactly call it detailed, but a message appears at the top of the phone.)
So If it's on "messaging" I'll see a notifation at the very top
of the phone and that's it? Every other notification will ONLY
be shown via the live tiles? Like Phone/E-mail Accounts etc?

4.) If I have multiple gmail accounts
Do I have to make multiple live tiles for the accounts?
Is there no way to have one live tile represent multiple
email addresses?

5.) No shortcut to turn wifi on/off? Bluetooth etc - All those common settings...?

6.) Can you set certain photos not to show up in the "photos" live
tiles?

7.) Best apps to get to enhance the experience of WP8?

8.) Any way to set the battery/signal to stay fixed on the top of the phone
permanently or do you always have to swipe down from the top
of the phone?

9.) Do the live tiles update instantly when you're sent an e-mail/text?

Thanks a bunch!

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
1. You can add the number to an existing contact or add it as new contact. Just tap the number whilst the text message is open. From there, it should be straight forward.

It is called Hotmail contact because your account is driven off by your Microsoft account.

2. There are apps that does this. They update every 30mins. I prefer this to be integrated, not from a third-party app.

3. On the lock screen, you can have one detailed notification and five others that show the number of notifications for max of five apps.

4. You can have linked inboxes. I, myself, have Yahoo, Microsoft and Gmail emails linked together.

5. None yet. This should be addressed on future updates. For the mean time, you can choose from several apps on marketplace that does this functionality. Quick Settings is what I'm using at the moment.

6. You can. Only your favourites show up on the Photo Hub live tile.

7. This really depends on you. Lots of missing apps though especially you coming from iOS. You might find this disappointing.

8. I myself don't understand why MS designed WP8 this way. Kinda dumb if you ask me.

9. Texts, yes. Microsoft emails, yes. Gmail, Y! Mail, etc...- no push notifications unlike MS accounts. You can configure other emails to auto-forward it to your Microsoft email so push notification will work.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
2. There are apps that does this. They update every 30mins. I prefer this to be integrated, not from a third-party app.

4. You can have linked inboxes. I, myself, have Yahoo, Microsoft and Gmail emails linked together.

6. You can. Only your favourites show up on the Photo Hub live tile.

9. Texts, yes. Microsoft emails, yes. Gmail, Y! Mail, etc...- no push notifications unlike MS accounts. You can configure other emails to auto-forward it to your Microsoft email so push notification will work.

Thanks for the responses.

1.) All the battery apps really only update once every 30 minutes? Wow....Kinda useless then.

2.) When you link the inboxes are all the emails just thrown into one inbox? It's not confusing?

3.) The photos in my camera roll are displaying via live tile. So I don't think It's just "favorites" ? I don't even have my favorites set up.

4.) Wow, so with gmail accounts there's no "push notifications" or otherwise a number over the app to show how many new emails are in gmail? I have to manually go into gmail and hit refresh to see if I have any recent emails?

TheContact

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

3.) The photos in my camera roll are displaying via live tile. So I don't think It's just "favorites" ? I don't even have my favorites set up.

4.) Wow, so with gmail accounts there's no "push notifications" or otherwise a number over the app to show how many new emails are in gmail? I have to manually go into gmail and hit refresh to see if I have any recent emails?

3. It's because you don't have favorites that they show up. Set up favorites, then it would only be them, otherwise it cycles through all the images you have.

4. Huh? IMAP is push. Mine get pushed through.

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
1. Unfortunately, yes. I don't use them.

2. You will have one inbox for all linked emails but you can view emails for certain account only as well. Tap ... then select 'folders'.

3. Start adding photos to your favourites folder and see.

4. Non-Microsoft emails have sync settings of every 15mins, 30mins, hourly, two hours or manually.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to remove Facebook account from "people" without deleting Facebook
from "email and account settings"?

I don't want "people" being populated by those that I know on FB.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Go into settings, applications (swipe to the left in settings) people, there you can filter out your FB contacts from the contact list

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Any idea how to get tethering via USB to work?

I assume -

>Connect 920 via USB cable > Settings > Internet Sharing > On > Shows "Broadcast Name" "Password" etc
Yet when I look at internet access bottom right of my computer task bar it says
"This computer has limited connectivity to NOKIA Lumia 920"

And I can't get internet working on my notebook.

Any ideas?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Any idea how to get tethering via USB to work?

I assume -

>Connect 920 via USB cable > Settings > Internet Sharing > On > Shows "Broadcast Name" "Password" etc
Yet when I look at internet access bottom right of my computer task bar it says

And I can't get internet working on my notebook.

Any ideas?

I don't know much about this stuff, but I used internet teathering with our laptop just using the wireless from the laptop. I didn't have to plug the phone into the pc.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Ya, it just says "Connecting to the network is taking longer than usual"

Is the network security key in Windows 7 just the password from internet sharing on WP8?

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Just switch 'Internet Sharing' on your phone to 'on' and it should work on your laptop without the cable provided you entered the correct password.

I wonder why the need to plug in the cable.

This is how I do it.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
When you're texting / using the keyboard - is there any way to hide the buttons at the bottom? Like the attachment/switch/send or other buttons?
It's such an odd placement as they bump up the keyboard another inch up the screen.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So how do > People > "Rooms" and "Groups" work exactly? Can I invite someone from iOS or Android to them?

Is the sound for alerts like someone calling / notifications - louder than the keyboard typing clicks? Seems like when I turn the volume up so I can hear the keyboard clicks the alerts are significantly louder.
Is there an individual sound option for the keyboard clicks?

What's with the red sensor? E.G. You press and hold down on the screen to position the black cursor which is replaced with a red one? It seems so sloppy...

If you've accidentally added a word to the dictionary how do you remove it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon