Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Coolknight1968's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    797 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Why is Blu products not on board making Windows Phones? They are in the value for money business. They could be of good use because they are a new brand. A WP8 with decent specs could be provided by them for around $270.-, unlocked, off contract. Like a nice 4.5 inch device with 16Gb and microSD. With a 1.2mp front camera and a 8 or 13mp rear shooter. A LCD or Amoled HD display. They sell 4Mio phones per year, they could sell another 100'000 windows phone 8 devices per year, more over time as they grow. No danger for HTC, Nokia or Samsung, but one more WP8 maker. MS should consider giving them WP8 for free for 2 years.
  2. rimlover's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    Why is Blu products not on board making Windows Phones? They are in the value for money business. They could be of good use because they are a new brand. A WP8 with decent specs could be provided by them for around $270.-, unlocked, off contract. Like a nice 4.5 inch device with 16Gb and microSD. With a 1.2mp front camera and a 8 or 13mp rear shooter. A LCD or Amoled HD display. They sell 4Mio phones per year, they could sell another 100'000 windows phone 8 devices per year, more over time as they grow. No danger for HTC, Nokia or Samsung, but one more WP8 maker. MS should consider giving them WP8 for free for 2 years.
    licensing probably cost money (i've read as high as $15/phone). if that's the case then they might just want to go android because it's free.
  3. Coolknight1968's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    797 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Then such a phone would cost $285.- in resale. That much for a 4.5inch WP8?
  4. ChMar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    273 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rimlover View Post
    licensing probably cost money (i've read as high as $15/phone). if that's the case then they might just want to go android because it's free.
    Android is free true. But having google apps and google store is not. You pay google fees for that. Take any cheap chinese tablet and it does not have any kind of google apps or google store. So the ideea that android is free is such a lie. What would you do with an android phone but no access to market or the google stuff.
  5. rimlover's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChMar View Post
    Android is free true. But having google apps and google store is not. You pay google fees for that. Take any cheap chinese tablet and it does not have any kind of google apps or google store. So the ideea that android is free is such a lie. What would you do with an android phone but no access to market or the google stuff.
    amazon store? haha i don't know. as far as android goes, i hate when people say it's open source. only google has the right to the latest build (hence why companies are always a few versions behind).
  6. Rich White's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Android isn't free. Microsoft gets revenue for patent violations. $5 to $8 a device or more depending the screen size, market, and manufacturer

    Microsoft's lucrative new revenue stream? Android. | Microsoft - CNET News#!
  7. ChMar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    273 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich White View Post
    Android isn't free. Microsoft gets revenue for patent violations. $5 to $8 a device or more depending the screen size, market, and manufacturer

    Microsoft's lucrative new revenue stream? Android. | Microsoft - CNET News#!
    Those are patents don't like to pay for them do something else. But the problem remains that having google branding and apps on your phone costs. And people should know this and stop that android is free and is open source and anyone can use it. The ecosystem is not compose just from the OS but also the way you get your latests apps and that cloud integration provided by google on android.
  8. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    25,678 Posts
    Global Posts
    47,770 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I checked their website, and it just says they sell devices in "Latin America". Do you know which countries?
  9. ah06's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChMar View Post
    But the problem remains that having google branding and apps on your phone costs. And people should know this and stop that android is free and is open source and anyone can use it.
    That is incorrect. Android is free, both the base OS and the core apps (And the Google branding). You do not have to pay Google anything. Google makes its money off of advertising, Play store etc.
    Android is still not free of cost to most OEMs due to patent licensing costs but Google does not charge anything for the Google Apps
  10. ah06's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rimlover View Post
    amazon store? haha i don't know. as far as android goes, i hate when people say it's open source. only google has the right to the latest build (hence why companies are always a few versions behind).
    It is open source. You can download and see the OS. Sometimes, they take some time to release the code after they have announced a new version. But its certainly not the case that only Google has the right to the latest build. Also most of this has nothing to do with why companies are versions behind. That is almost entirely due to OEM apathy, financial reasons, carrier related delays and software customisation

Similar Threads

  1. Product Keys.
    By daniel clark in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Posting Permissions

";