IMHO the Qualcomm S4 is bad.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the quality of the Qualcomm dual core SOC is crap. There is a huge number of Windows Phone 8 devices suffering from reboots because of faulty RAM in those SOCs. They should have selected a variant of the Nvidia3 with a 2 plus 1 core layout. Now the damage is done... Also to tie down WP8 to one SOC is a huge mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: IMHO the Qualcomm S4 is crap.

I had a feeling that some WP8 phones with the rebooting problem had faulty RAM but my 920 doesn't reboot so the RAM, and by extension, the whole chipset is fine on mine. In fact I'm very happy with it's performance compared to my ever so laggy SGS 3 with its quad core chip.

IceCrush

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

for the record, i had a alot of random reboots .. But flashing the phone with fresh install cleared the issue.
how can you be sure that the reboots are due to faulty chipset?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I think the quality of the Qualcomm dual core SOC is crap. There is a huge number of Windows Phone 8 devices suffering from reboots because of faulty RAM in those SOCs. They should have selected a variant of the Nvidia3 with a 2 plus 1 core layout. Now the damage is done... Also to tie down WP8 to one SOC is a huge mistake.

Are you blaming the problem on the Snapdragon S4 or the RAM? Because those are two separate components...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Are you blaming the problem on the Snapdragon S4 or the RAM? Because those are two separate components...

Agree with Mr Carpenter here - if its the RAM blame the RAM but its not part of the S4 SOC - The S4 is used in practically every up to date mobile phone in one variant or another. Reboots if caused by the S4 would therefore show up in a lot more platforms than just windows phone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

I will chime in to say that the Adreno 225 GPU in the S4 is crap. It's way behind the curve, and for "next-gen" Windows Phone 8 devices to release using it disappoints me because they're "highly regarded" because they're cheap (compared to the other SOCs).

When I say Adreno 225 is crap, I'm speaking to the fact that we have basically received a chipset that is already outdated (by mobile standards of today)...

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I can only disagree to the statement that it is a big mistake to only allow one SOC. With this given, WP8 only has to be coded for one processor, the same that we can also see on apple devices - software designed for hardware, resulting in higher speeds. In contrast, android is pretty slow for its Killer hardware - it's always fun to see a Galaxy S2 lag when an old 3GS has no problems at all (dualcore 1.2Ghz vs 600Mhz Singlecore). imo, this step was very important, since the performance in combination to the hardware on windows phone is really high.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

When I say Adreno 225 is crap, I'm speaking to the fact that we have basically received a chipset that is already outdated (by mobile standards of today)...

While there might be better components already available, it's the user experience that counts and that is far from outdated. I don't think I've ever caught my WP8 device lagging or stuttering.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Over 90% of the reboots were resolved with portico, the remaining 10% might have to do with some faulty SIM trays. RAM is independent from the processor. Nothing whatsoever to do with the S4.

I will chime in to say that the Adreno 225 GPU in the S4 is crap. It's way behind the curve, and for "next-gen" Windows Phone 8 devices to release using it disappoints me because they're "highly regarded" because they're cheap (compared to the other SOCs).

The SoCs in our WP8 devices are not anymore outdated than what's in the SGS3. They all use the same chip.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I've got an asus transformer prime (with tegra 3 - 4 + 1 cpu(1.4 GHz)- 12 core gpu) that lags, reboots and apps/games keep crashing
and I've got a lumia 920 (dual core - 1.5GHZ) that doesn't lag, reboot and app/games don't crash

what should I prefer?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I can only disagree to the statement that it is a big mistake to only allow one SOC. With this given, WP8 only has to be coded for one processor, the same that we can also see on apple devices - software designed for hardware, resulting in higher speeds. In contrast, android is pretty slow for its Killer hardware - it's always fun to see a Galaxy S2 lag when an old 3GS has no problems at all (dualcore 1.2Ghz vs 600Mhz Singlecore). imo, this step was very important, since the performance in combination to the hardware on windows phone is really high.

Incorrect. No way MSFT only coded wp8 to use an S4 processor. They would not be that shortsighted. Though I guess it would give them plenty of proof to tell customers that they need to upgrade to a new device to be able to get wp9 on their next phone. "The hardware is the only thing keeping WP8 from being ported to WP7x devices....BLAH BLAH BLAH." "We had to re-write the kernel for wp9 and that kernel will not work on the older processors."

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well if we have reboots, the RAM coming from whoever, then the S4 SOC is the common component on all WP8 devices. So, either it is a firmware issue or a hardware issue. So... Maybe it is a firmware issue... But how many people will flash their phones? Maybe it is a hardware issue... which again leads to the S4... Something is wrong here! Too many WP8 devices having issues and just giving up the ghost. I am not saying the S4 is a bad SOC, but that those used in WP8, might have passed QC too easily.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Incorrect. No way MSFT only coded wp8 to use an S4 processor. They would not be that shortsighted. Though I guess it would give them plenty of proof to tell customers that they need to upgrade to a new device to be able to get wp9 on their next phone. "The hardware is the only thing keeping WP8 from being ported to WP7x devices....BLAH BLAH BLAH." "We had to re-write the kernel for wp9 and that kernel will not work on the older processors."

you're probably right, what I meant is that the OEM's (Nokia, HTC etc) don't have to write the Kernels themselves, they only have to care about the hardware and a few Apps which are in no way tied to performance. This is way better for updates, security and reliability (just watch at Samsung and 1000 bugs in their exynos cores, even the CM team complained).

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
In case you haven't noticed, we are entering a period where the quality of ram is absolutely crap. I don't think I have ever had so many problems with ram in the last 20 years as I have had in the last 8 months. It is across the board, desktop Memory, USB Sticks, SD Card etc. I suspect there was a process / size change on memory chips and it has not gone smoothly.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I've got an asus transformer prime (with tegra 3 - 4 + 1 cpu(1.4 GHz)- 12 core gpu) that lags, reboots and apps/games keep crashing
and I've got a lumia 920 (dual core - 1.5GHZ) that doesn't lag, reboot and app/games don't crash

what should I prefer?

But you are the one paying for the device. If i can get the smoothness AND get that new Qualcomm 600 series SoC with improved battery life, why would anybody complain. Just gives more hardware options and flexibility for future updates and apps.

People need to be wowed and we are paying the same price for Lumia 920 as we are paying for GS3 and incoming GS4 here in Europe.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
While there might be better components already available, it's the user experience that counts and that is far from outdated. I don't think I've ever caught my WP8 device lagging or stuttering.

The SoCs in our WP8 devices are not anymore outdated than what's in the SGS3. They all use the same chip.

For the OS and UX, true, this doesn't matter (clearly demonstrated by the hardware of Windows Phone 7 & 7.5). What I'm referring to is graphic intensive apps, like games. Look at Spiderman, Batman, and Asphalt 7; those run poorly (Asphalt isn't bad really, but not as smooth as the 4s), but the Adreno 225 has been proven to match (and sometimes beat) the GPU in the iPhone 4s, which can run these games very smooth. True, we have a bigger screen with a higher resolution, but I would've thought Microsoft would've been prepared to set an SOC standard that has a GPU that can handle large screen devices....

Not to mention that Chinese Lumia 920's have the Adreno 320 GPU.....just saying it seems like they rushed just to get devices out the door, which I understand, but they didn't make them future proof in the slightest...

EdSherriff

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So all I read here is "My phone reboots so it's the hardware's fault"

I mean REALLY? This is like blaming your desktop Windows crashing on a common fault with all Intel Core i7s. The S4 is not just used in WP8 handsets, it is used in many other models with no issues whatsoever.

Also I find the criticism of the Adreno 225 to be absolute nonsense, comparing WP8s performance in games is pretty meaningless without a well established cross platform graphics engine or benchmark. Simply listing hardware feature sets and clock speeds is absolutely meaningless if the OS API doesn't allow developers to take advantage of them, or the developer simply rushes ports between platforms and doesn't bother optimising. All to often I see devs whine that a platform is "too limited" or "lacking essential features", which are there, they just refuse to learn how to use them properly.

As far as I'm concerned DirectX on a phone is an amazing thing, even if it is some mutant variety (9_3 FL but with no Direct2D? arrrrgghhh!).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786