Something has to be going on behind the scenes!

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or has this last week or two seen a number of big name apps come to Windows Phone 8 (and some even to 7), price cuts, deals, etc? Obviously Pandora probably stands out the most followed by Microsoft selling the 920 for free. It makes you wonder what is behind this. Sure, a relative small percentage of the market (WP users) would REALLY love certain apps. Given the costs to develop and submit/maintain apps, there needs to either be someone that's really into the platform or a real reason behind it. It also makes you wonder how much, if any of the increase, is the easy of writing Windows 8/RT apps AND Windows Phone 8 apps. I think time will tell if we see Pandora, United Airlines, etc. releasing Windows 8/RT apps shortly. I can't imagine AutoTrader is rolling in cash and would make a WP8 app for <5% of the market when half or less are even in the market for a new car, let alone going to use an app to buy one. At the same time, we haven't seen anything from Nokia nor Microsoft yet despite knowing that at least the 928 should be here shortly. My money is on Nokia pulling an Apple and announcing it one day and it being available within the week. Maybe Microsoft will launch something, which wouldn't be a huge surprise given what we have heard/seen from HTC and Samsung. My guess is Samsung wants to become the 4th OS next to Chrome/Android, iOS/OS X, and Windows/Windows Phone. I don't think Microsoft is all that concerned with burning that bridge with their GSIII ad. This would be a perfect time to release an innovative product- between the announcement of the GS4 and it's arrival (assuming Microsoft's device lands first, too).

It really seems like something is happening behind the scenes. Sure... Temple Run and Instagram have been "promised" to us, but until they arrives, it doesn't really matter. It makes me wonder if Nokia and/or Microsoft are pitching the EOS, Microsoft Phone or whatever the next big phone is to come out to these big names. I'm not going to count the 928 (yet) for the simple reason an upgraded camera while not improving the CPU/GPU will leave people wondering. It also makes you wonder if carriers might be pushing some of the big name apps to come up with WP solutions in preparation for that huge carrier push we keep hearing about. Samsung and Apple really don't need any more marketing from the carriers so I wonder if they decided to put money behind a third horse? Weren't we just hearing how Verizon wants anyone on the fence about a phone to walk out with a Windows Phone? Better way to keep them in one is to have these big name apps.

Sure, some of these apps and announcements were kind of expected, but all at once?! It really seems like so many coincidences that would be market share boosting/interest gaining moves don't normally happen all at once. It's not like WP8 is brand new and this is all happening together as a result of a new product launch.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you aren't giving the Lumia 928 the credit it deserves.

There are providers that are just now getting the Lumia 920 on their network because of it's exclusivity, and I'm sure people are not wondering why they didn't upgrade it. It's a great phone.
The Lumia 928 is everything the Lumia 920 is and more. All of the same flagship features with even more improvements. If you think anything negative about the Lumia 928, then that's very upsetting...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OP, the influx in apps is mainly due to the fact that these companies are just now finishing their WP8 related work. Everyone got the WP8 SDK just before WP8 was released. The time since then is pretty much the average time it takes to release a WP8 app. That is all.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you aren't giving the Lumia 928 the credit it deserves.

There are providers that are just now getting the Lumia 920 on their network because of it's exclusivity, and I'm sure people are not wondering why they didn't upgrade it. It's a great phone.
The Lumia 928 is everything the Lumia 920 is and more. All of the same flagship features with even more improvements. If you think anything negative about the Lumia 928, then that's very upsetting...

I'm sure the 928 will be a wonderful phone.... on the 2 or 3 carriers that sell it :eck:
It appears that Samsung, HTC (yes, even a company supposedly in financial difficulty), Sony, Apple, and Blackberry don't have this issue. Their 2013 launches are being sold on all carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss