WP8 and WinXP confirmation

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, apologies as I think this may have been touched on before. Am I right in thinking that you can do little or no file management between WP8 and WinXP? When I connect my 820 to my WinXP desktop PC I find the following:

The PC seems to think the phone is a camera and displays it as such in the PC's file manager.
Clicking on the phone icon sometimes reveals the phone's folders and sometimes doesn't reveal anything.
When it does, it displays two Music, Pictures and Videos folders, presumably as I've got an SD card, but you can't tell which folders are on the phone or on the card.
I can't move any file from the PC to the phone, but a while back I'm sure a could move a picture I'd taken on the phone from the phone to the PC.

This won't be a show stopper as I'm in the market for a Win8 Ultrabook. I was just wondering if I'm flogging a dead horse in the meantime. I've seen clues on other sites that suggest WMP might have something to do with it. I've haven't got that. I use VLC instead.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm posting what I've found since, in case anyone's interested.

A friend brought her Win7 laptop round last night and we plugged my 820 into it. Everything showed up as it should, Phone, SD card, and all the folders, as they should be. I was even able to put a custom ringtone onto the phone.

So windowsphone.com says you can do file manipulation with XP. Well, I can't. Interestingly the 820 user manual states, correctly it would seem, that you need either Vista, Win7 or Win8 to do this.

Hope this might save others the bother of trying to do stuff with XP and their phone.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an old PC running XP and it shows up like yours as a camera and shows the double folders and such, but I'm able to transfer and do everything I can do on w7/8. I've had zero problems using it on XP.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. All I can do is move stuff off my phone onto my XP machine. If I try to do the other way round I get a black circle with a black diagonal line through it when I drag a file onto a phone folder, and it doesn't work. If I right-click and copy a file and then I right-click and try to paste it to a phone folder, the paste option is greyed-out.

I'm not too worried to be honest. My XP machine has turned into a dog this last six months, especially IE8 (I'm sure M$ has slipped me an update to sabotage it) so I'm in the market for a Win8 touchscreen ultrabook. Of course, that's exactly what M$ wanted me to do. I don't think I have much choice. I resent it, but that's progress???

Anyway, in the meantime it's a good excuse to get my friend with her Win7 lappy round my place "to do a bit of file manipulation" :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss