Wired Magazine SLAMS weak WP8 app releases...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
She tries to start by saying that it's somehow MS' fault for the weak app selection and then later goes on to say that it's the developers that don't have interest at the moment. It's ridiculous when people like her try to write off the entire platform just because a handful of apps aren't there.

She then tries to downplay the recent app releases by saying they weren't that big of a deal

Pretty much typical lazy click-bait that I shouldn't even bother clicking. No point reading Wired for anything about a MS product since you know they will just bash it.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It's totally click bait...

Tom Warren's articles are now the same on theverge...I used to like his writing when he had his own site, even when he was critical of MS(there is a lot to be critical about as with any company)...However, half of his articles are just the same thing over and over again with a small change here or there....windows blue for instance...I've seen the same article with minor deviations over and over...I keep clicking thinking there is something new but really he's added one tiny sentence....
I could understand that if the site was all about windows or something but since it's about various subjects I think one article is probably good enough about the same topic...

The problem is that her article is just a copy&paste of any other article on the internet about WP8...the same article is written time and time again. It's also a bit unusual that she writes this just as WP8 seems to be getting one app after another in the past month...

Let's not forget that these are not journalists by any stretch of the imagination...their only reason for being is to get clicks on their site...

Wired especially is supposed to be writing for more the general user...most users are more than happy with the app selection for WP8 with the exception of perhaps their local bank if it's missing or a security system app....these niche apps rarely come to android even ...they are always written for iOS...
There is the odd major app that WP8 needs (instagram comes to mind) but most are there now...

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Please please please don't let this forum become crackberry, where every negative article is posted with threats of boycotting the offending website. It's simply one persons opinion...if you're happy with the phone, then stick with it. I've had every top end Android and iPhone since they have been released, but nothing out there right now compares to the Lumia 920 and its OS...nothing. I tried it for a few days about a week ago and ended up returning it for reasons unrelated to the phone. Well, I'm heading back to att tomorrow and pick up one for good this time as a supplement to my Optimus G.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Really? Because you sound like a WP ****** who can't hear someone offer extremely specific, and accurate, criticisms of his chosen product.

By the way,

"That’s the shame of Microsoft. Windows Phone 8 is a stunning operating system. It has matured in functionality since Windows Phone 7, and it is very easy to use. Microsoft has quality hardware partners, too. Nokia’s Lumia 920 is powerful, with a stunning camera, and HTC’s 8X is one of the sleekest, prettiest phones available. As hardware, both can compete with the latest from Apple and Samsung"

sure doesn't sound like writing off the entire platform to me. Sounds like she loves the platform, as do I, but is dead on in calling it a difficult situation. And she's right to poke fun at the underwhelmingness of all these announcements and releases. Everytime I load up WPcentral, I half laugh and half cry that the community is getting all excited about half-baked crap or years-old once-popular apps. Laugh because it *does* feel pathetic, or like a delusion, and cry because I bought into this platform and was hoping, and expecting, so much more.

What were you hoping for? There are almost 8x the number of apps for iOS than for WP8...do you think WP8 in 5 months is going to even come close to erasing that?
The problem with her article is that the title is click bait....
It's typical on the blogs these days....goes something like this:
- Write an overly negative headline that cherry picks some statements
- Write a few lines of positivity about the subject
- Lay into some negative issues
- Wrap it up with platitudes

Theverge is famous for this as well...It's just a crap way to get people to read your articles...this happens on all subjects and products as well...not an issue just with WP...a lot of BS articles about how apple are in the crapper now with the same BS over and over

I'm finding I'm heading more and more back to engadget these days....the layout is simple...it's mostly just fact based with the exception of editorials which is fine...reviews are pretty fair....

Theverge, and this lady might complain about the comment section but this is the whole reason for their existence as the more comments there are, the more clicks there are and the more ad revenue they sell

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think he's commenting about that as much...

We can all agree that WP needs more apps and MS needs to release updates faster...

What is tiring is reading only negativity and "click bait" from bloggers like her...she's not the only one...but her article has nothing new or interesting in it except a big fat negative title to get people riled up

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
That article was completely true in pretty much everything it said and just dismissing it as clickbait is delusional. WP has a huge app problem and ms needs to help fix it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Really? Because you kind of come off like a WP ****** who can't handle someone offering criticisms of his chosen product. By the way,

Sorry but if I couldn't take criticisms of WP I wouldn't even read most tech sites considering all the negative articles and negative comments that are out there. The problem is that these bloggers **** all over WP based on subjective views not objective views. Here is another example of a "writer" knocking WP based on her opinion that a handful of apps (Instagram, Vine etc) make or break a platform. IMO there is a lot more to a smartphone than Instagram and some game I don't play. Yes there are flaws, but don't keep writing the same old same old just to sound edgy or get page views.

The same thing used to happen when iOS was on top and Android was new. Sites like Giz, Engadget, Applecrunch, Slashgear etc would just write stupid articles repeating the same anti- Android nonsense. They knew that the comment sections would be flooded with thousands of angry commenters driving up the page view.

Everytime I load up WPcentral, I half laugh and half cry that the community is getting all excited about half-baked crap or years-old once-popular apps. Laugh because it *does* feel pathetic, or like a delusion, and cry because I too bought into this platform and was hoping, and expecting, so much more.

Please direct me to the excitement on this site because all I tend to see is the doom and gloom patrol that think that every little thing that doesn't happen, or every little thing a competitor does means the end of WP. And if Windows Phone upsets you so much why not just use another platform where you will not be crying.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read the article so I won't comment on it but I would like to throw in my two cents on the app "deficit". I knew that WP8 didn't have all the apps that IOS and Android have but really didn't care. I don't load up my phone with a bunch of apps I'll never use. I only had about six or seven apps installed on my last phone, which was and Android phone. I don't use Twitter or Facebook and don't give a flying crap about Instagram. None of that matters to me. I think the WP platform is good overall and suits my need perfectly. It has a few minor frustrations for me, but so has every other phone I've owned. I think the app thing is way overblown. Yeah, a few more apps might be nice but app availability will never be a reason I change platforms. I realize that some people will freak over the lack of apps but some of us just want a good, solid smartphone with a good, solid OS. WP8 works for me.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read the article so I won't comment on it but I would like to throw in my two cents on the app "deficit". I knew that WP8 didn't have all the apps that IOS and Android have but really didn't care. I don't load up my phone with a bunch of apps I'll never use. I only had about six or seven apps installed on my last phone, which was and Android phone. I don't use Twitter or Facebook and don't give a flying crap about Instagram. None of that matters to me. I think the WP platform is good overall and suits my need perfectly. It has a few minor frustrations for me, but so has every other phone I've owned. I think the app thing is way overblown. Yeah, a few more apps might be nice but app availability will never be a reason I change platforms. I realize that some people will freak over the lack of apps but some of us just want a good, solid smartphone with a good, solid OS. WP8 works for me.
Its great that your needs are being met, and I say that sincerely. I don't begrudge anyone for loving their phone or platform if it meets their needs and they're happy. Win win!

But for some others, its not enough. For example, I'm a loyal USAA member and will likely bank with them forever, and their windows phone app blows next to IOS. Its terrible.

Bottom line is no one phone or system will fit everyone. But there is simply no denying the fact that wp8 is basically being ignored by a huge portion, if not majority, of app developers.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why wired is crying about the app releases. They releasted the apps, that is the main point, yes it is quite late, but the OS is not as mature as iOS and android, it is going to take some time. It is better late than never.

The other point is that its not like MS is sitting around moping and whining about no app support, they are trying to get more developers to develop and Nokia is helping as well, they are doing what they can. Im sure it is expensive to develop for two platforms, developing a third will be an additional investment and it needs to make sense to the developer.

The verge article as well started off as a release article and then he throws in a jab, why not just report what it is and do a separate editorial.

Simply, wp8 does have an app problem, you dont get the amount of name games on this platform like you do on others, like i dont see gta, or other final fantasy, etc. We do have one final fantasy, but i think the others have multiple. So yes, there is a problem, but to blame MS? Its not like they dont want to have the apps on the platform, it is up to the developers.

So clearly, not releasing is better than releasing it late?

reb083135

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Agree with your comment about theverge. I find myself going to engadget more these days too, even sometimes back to gizmodo. The thing that kills me about theverge, is they come across as arrogant to me. And whenever Josh makes any comment about look and feel or UI I think how crappy their site is for UI and it makes me wonder how anybody could trust their judgment of what works and what doesn't. Half the time I force myself to go to their mobile version of the page just so I can easily see the articles topics.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really bothered about these supposed IT 'experts'

I don't think I've seen or read a proper in-depth review of a WP phone. WP8 has been out about 5 months, and already everyone is writing it off. It's the most useable and modern phone OS out there. It's a fact. Just take a look at the features that manufacturers have 'borrowed' (stolen) from WP, and then put it on an Android device. Then the IT experts say how innovative said feature is.

Keep your Android and iOS devices. It's a case of 'more of the same'. Having a bigger 1080p display or a 'sexy' case may fool a lot of the public phone buyers.

So the 'top' apps are not on WP at the moment. So what!!!! Most of them are 2 years old anyway.

Top marks to MS for trying to do something different. I love my Lumia 920. A real innovative and joyous device to use. I would never go back to an Android device. After using WP8 and the great apps available, it would seem like a step back in time..............

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Its great that your needs are being met, and I say that sincerely. I don't begrudge anyone for loving their phone or platform if it meets their needs and they're happy. Win win!

But for some others, its not enough. For example, I'm a loyal USAA member and will likely bank with them forever, and their windows phone app blows next to IOS. Its terrible.

Bottom line is no one phone or system will fit everyone. But there is simply no denying the fact that wp8 is basically being ignored by a huge portion, if not majority, of app developers.
I don't disagree with your viewpoint necessarily, but as I said I would never change phone ecosystems over an app. No one app means that much to me. For me the fact that the built in mail app just completely blows Androids Gmail app out of the water is an unexpected bonus for me. Gmail was just awful on Android and the competing email apps weren't any better so having a bunch to choose from doesn't guaranty anything. The core apps in WP8 do what I need for the most part. Although I would love to see Firefox come to WP8 (that probably won't happen). When I picked up a Lumia for the first time in a Verizon store I expected to hate it, but I ended up being intrigued with it because I just really liked how the OS looked and felt. You are right though, no one phone is going to do it for everyone so choice is a good thing.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I stopped reading after

"Microsoft has breathlessly announced several new game titles for Windows Phone 8. And once again, Redmond continues to disappoint."

Seriously, you praise and then smack down in the same paragraph, it's like they all use an automatic template just to bash Microsoft in whichever way they can because they needed a whambulance to carry them from the blue screen of death era or their own incompetence in using a computer.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Off topic: What makes developers decide how not to include features on one platform vs another? I keep reading about lack of feature parity a lot recently!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I stopped reading after

"Microsoft has breathlessly announced several new game titles for Windows Phone 8. And once again, Redmond continues to disappoint."

Seriously, you praise and then smack down in the same paragraph, it's like they all use an automatic template just to bash Microsoft in whichever way they can because they needed a whambulance to carry them from the blue screen of death era or their own incompetence in using a computer.

Especially with all the new releases these days... Just wish more had achievements... Yes, I'm one of those whores.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's totally click bait...

Tom Warren's articles are now the same on theverge...I used to like his writing when he had his own site, even when he was critical of MS(there is a lot to be critical about as with any company)...However, half of his articles are just the same thing over and over again with a small change here or there....windows blue for instance...I've seen the same article with minor deviations over and over...I keep clicking thinking there is something new but really he's added one tiny sentence....
I could understand that if the site was all about windows or something but since it's about various subjects I think one article is probably good enough about the same topic...

The problem is that her article is just a copy&paste of any other article on the internet about WP8...the same article is written time and time again. It's also a bit unusual that she writes this just as WP8 seems to be getting one app after another in the past month...

Let's not forget that these are not journalists by any stretch of the imagination...their only reason for being is to get clicks on their site...

Wired especially is supposed to be writing for more the general user...most users are more than happy with the app selection for WP8 with the exception of perhaps their local bank if it's missing or a security system app....these niche apps rarely come to android even ...they are always written for iOS...
There is the odd major app that WP8 needs (instagram comes to mind) but most are there now...

Dude he receives paycheck from the biggest troll site. I soon learn to give him a break.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss