Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Earlier today I got an Amer Alert (for Dallas, Texas: SUV Gold Suburban) but I've been getting the same one every hour since and so have other windowsphone users here that I know.

If you haven't gotten one yet, it vibrates INTENSELY and makes a very loud sound (reminiscent of the internet dial-up tone) if the screen is off.

How can I disable these?

I mean, I don't wanna sound like a ****** but I don't live in Dallas and it kind of interrupts everything.

Settings -> Applications -> Messaging

Choose "Emergency Alerts" button at the bottom. Toggle AMBER Alerts to off.
    Thanked by:
    1Sick1500 likes this.

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    I never knew this existed. I don't have an emergency alerts option. I am in the US and use ATT.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esskayess View Post
    Settings -> Applications -> Messaging

Choose "Emergency Alerts" button at the bottom. Toggle AMBER Alerts to off.

Yep! I just found out! I can also switch them from: All Alerts, Presidential and Extreme Alerts, and Presidential Alerts only, or, like you said, off completely.
    Thanked by:

Glad to help.

Amber Alerts can be switched off completely.

AFAIK Presidential Alerts cannot be switched off. All cell phones are supposed to have Presidential Alerts at the least.

You can choose the level of alerts, but even toggling Amber Alerts to off will not disable Presidential Alerts.

Squatting Hen - I have an 822 on Verizon, but when I had a Nokia on ATT around 2005, it had this feature too. I would look around the messaging settings on your phone, it should be there somewhere.

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    Neither me or my wife can find that setting. Nothing for amber alerts or presidential alerts. Odd.

Does everyone have this?

I don't. ATT Nokia 820. Unless its just there without any options to change its settings.

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts
    I don't think ATT has this on all of their phones. Did some searching and the specs on the 920 say it does not have CMAS - Commercial Mobile Alert System.

From the post above, the 820 doesn't either.
    Thanked by:

You're right. Just found this on Wikipedia

--

CMAS messages, although displayed similarly to SMS text messages, are always free and are routed through a separate service which will give them priority over voice and regular text messages in congested areas.[2] Customers who have the capability of receiving CMAS alerts (also known as PLAN and WEA) will be automatically signed up by their carrier.[7] If they do not want to participate they may opt to block most CMAS messages, however CMAS regulations[8] prohibit participating carriers from configuring phones to allow users to opt out of messages issued by the President.[2]
    -- sks

Kind of sad att doesn't have this as it sounds useful.

I am also US on ATT...never have i seen this setting. lol. I guess as stated below, it is carrier related?

It took me awhile to find it. If you click the text message tile, it's under "Settings" and at the bottom of the screen.

Global Posts
    32,288 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email

It appears that AT&T has only enabled WEA on Samsung and Motorola devices. Opt out of Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) - AT&T Wireless Support*

Opt out of Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) or Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)

If you have a CMAS-capable device, you are automatically enrolled to receive Wireless Emergency Alerts. You may opt out of Imminent Threat and AMBER alerts, however, you can't opt out of Presidential Alerts.
    Close all
    Opt out instructions for Samsung and Motorola devices
    Samsung

• Select the Messaging application.
    • In Settings, scroll to the last section called Notification Settings.
    • Select Emergency alerts and a list of different types of emergency alerts displays.
    • Select the type of alerts you do not wish to receive by touching the checked box on the right side of the screen; the green checkmark should disappear.
    • Close app.

Motorola

• Select the Emergency Alerts application.
    • Select Settings at the bottom of the screen and a list of different types of emergency alerts displays.
    • Select the type of alerts you do not wish to receive by touching the checked box on the right side of the screen; the green checkmark disappears.
    • Close app.

AT&T is working to certify and deploy CMAS service to as many devices as possible, as quickly as possible. We are committed to working with device vendors to support this important alert messaging service.
    Thanked by:
    RumoredNow likes this.

Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

It definitely depends on what model phone you have. My wife and I have Lumia 920's but neither have this option. My kids both have Lumia 520's and both have this option. We are on ATT. It's not a carrier issue, as far as I can tell.

This has rolled out on my HTC 8X, on ATT. These Amber Alerts are driving me NUTS! AT&T cannot solve it. I've attempted opt-out by sending a 'Stop' message to the program number. No luck.

The HTC 8X has NO controls in Settings>Applications>Messaging for controlling Emergency Alerts, as stated in this article.
    How to turn off emergency alerts on your phone | How To - CNET

My question is, did WindowPhone issue an OS update to disable this control? Why can I not control alert notifications?

Any help appreciated?

Doesn't anyone find it rather Orwellian? I mean, you can't even disable the "Presidential" alerts, and the Amber alerts give you very little if any information, so mostly they're just designed to scare the public.... What kind of fascist society have we moved into?

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    There was no sticker on my Lumia 1020 ATT box about this and I only found out about the funcionality the first time I received an alert and Bing-ed what it is, since I never saw anything like it before on my phone.
    There was also nothing in the box letting the user know about this service.

Quote Originally Posted by truckfreak69 View Post
    Doesn't anyone find it rather Orwellian? I mean, you can't even disable the "Presidential" alerts, and the Amber alerts give you very little if any information, so mostly they're just designed to scare the public.... What kind of fascist society have we moved into?
    I don't find it Orewellian at all. I actually find it very useful. The alerts aren't spewing out anything close to propaganda and it does have a history of helping find missing persons.

Oo, oo, does it pop up with a 'brown alert' if the Tea Party ever get voted in?

You can enable this in the field test on Lumia's - ##3282# -> Settings -> Toggle CMAS RMT (reboot required). I just did last night and it just did some monthly test on my phone. I didn't know what the hell CMAS was until I found this thread.
    Last edited by Carini33; 10-16-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Global Posts
    4,102 Global Posts
    The underlying tech of these Alerts is Cell Broadcasting. Cell Broadcast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like having the alerts enabled to their maximum usage. Even if your phone is off - or in airplane mode - you will get any un-expired alerts when you come back online. It broadcasts to every capable device within range of the cell. If you move into the cell and the message has not expired, you will get it automatically. Carrier service is not even required (just like you don't have to have a working plan to dial 911).

There are times of natural disaster, weather emergency, civil unrest, etc. where you would absolutely want this feature.

In the OP's case, where the Amber Alert repeated hourly, that must have been a glitch where the message received portion of the alert wasn't coded properly:
    A Cell Broadcast message page is composed of 82 octets, which, using the default character set, can encode 93 characters. Up to 15 of these pages may be concatenated to form a Cell Broadcast message. Each page of such a CB message will have the same message identifier (indicating the source of the message), and the same serial number. Using this information, the mobile telephone is able to identify and ignore broadcasts of already received messages.

As for receiving an alert in San Antonio for an event in Dallas, it isn't uncommon for an Amber Alert to have a wide ranging area due to the fact that abductors generally don't stay within the area where the abduction has just taken place.

I've never had a problem with an Alert repeating on me... I also love to stay informed in an emergency.

Outside of configuring for Alerts received - no other issues are due to carrier, OS, device type... Cell Broadcast ignores all those conditions.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS​ w/ Office 2013 H&S

This does appear on the Lumia 920 with AT&T. I think it comes with the GDR3 update. I received my first Amber Alert today.

Quote Originally Posted by california86 View Post
    I don't find it Orewellian at all. I actually find it very useful. The alerts aren't spewing out anything close to propaganda and it does have a history of helping find missing persons.
    Whatever may be its usefulness, as a Free Citizen, I should be able to CHOOSE to turn it off, presidential or not.
    Thanked by:
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    When the damn thing blew me out of my chair as I was listening to music in my JBLs, I knew it had to be disabled.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast