We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. garak0410's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    921 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,214 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I convinced our office manager to go to a Windows Phone...while it has had some bluthtooh issues (even with updates), she is liking it. The latest thing I did for her was to write a script to copy spreadsheet on our network to her SkyDrive sync folder so she can have an updated copy every hour. It is an Excel sheet with special "Drawing Boxes" for special messages she puts on it. Sadly. Excel Mobile on Windows Phone 8 doesn't seem to support this. Anyone know if it will work?

    I did save it as a PDF and it viewed well on READER on the phone but she doesn't want to save twice and wants it easy...
  2. Magnus Peders1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    There seems to be many functions that don't work in excel mobile and when I open a sheet which uses one of them I get a message with "can't edit workbook"..

    Regular cell comments work for me, but only when it's a sheet that I can edit on my phone..

    You could try opening it in skydrives web app through IE, that might work, though not as quick and easy as through the office hub..
  3. mpt15's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Im hoping to buy an L820, but if it resolves some excel issues... Any idea if what I want is possible: can I convert excel into pdf or jpeg/tiff/bmp? My L800 can't do that even in webapps...in fact webapps dont open: if I access SkyDrive thru IE rather than the app, it opens files in office mobile, but when I try to open in webapps it doesn't

    So is there a way to convert excel to pdf or jpeg in WP8?
  4. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    why is she using drawing boxes for messages?
  5. Magnus Peders1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt15 View Post
    Im hoping to buy an L820, but if it resolves some excel issues... Any idea if what I want is possible: can I convert excel into pdf or jpeg/tiff/bmp? My L800 can't do that even in webapps...in fact webapps dont open: if I access SkyDrive thru IE rather than the app, it opens files in office mobile, but when I try to open in webapps it doesn't

    So is there a way to convert excel to pdf or jpeg in WP8?
    If you have IE set to open the mobile version of websites the files will open in office mobile. If you change to desktop version it will open in webapps, at least that's what happens on my L920. Webapps still won't let you convert to PDF though..

    Excel files that can't be edited can still be viewed perfectly fine, so is there a reason you want it converted? Screenshot would work, even if you zoom out to get all content of a relatively large sheet the screenshot is still sharp when you zoom in.

    Can take some screenshots later if you want to see how it looks.
    mpt15 likes this.
  6. mpt15's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    I have to email the files to people, but its a final version that clients should not be able to edit, so my workplace requires it to be pdf or jpeg.

    In print, its an A4 size, so the screenshot size and resolution is good, its shld solve my problem. I can't have a client be made to read a jpg thats too small on his computer. So, any idea on the size of the image?
    Last edited by mpt15; 04-06-2013 at 12:17 AM.
  7. mpt15's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    why is she using drawing boxes for messages?
    Im not sure what u mean... Im using the WPcentral app on L800 to post

    Let me know what im doing wrong
  8. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    She is writing notes in the drawing shapes?

    Explain what she is trying to do, there may be a better work flow.
  9. Magnus Peders1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpt15 View Post
    I have to email the files to people, but its a final version that clients should not be able to edit, so my workplace requires it to be pdf or jpeg.

    In print, its an A4 size, so the screenshot size and resolution is good, its shld solve my problem. I can't have a client be made to read a jpg thats too small on his computer. So, any idea on the size of the image?
    Screenshot resolution is 768x1280. Here is a screenshot i took straight from excel mobile
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130406_0004.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	31807

    If you want a more elegant solution you could check out Wappwolf.
    It is an "automator" that should be able to automatically convert files in a Dropbox, Google drive or Box folder to PDF. It costs 5$ a month to get those options, but their website states that it also is able to automatically send files in email, upload to skydrive and even convert audio files.

    Thinking of trying Wappwolf myself, if I do I can let you know how good it works...
  10. mpt15's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Peders1 View Post
    Screenshot resolution is 768x1280. Here is a screenshot i took straight from excel mobile
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130406_0004.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	31807

    If you want a more elegant solution you could check out Wappwolf.
    It is an "automator" that should be able to automatically convert files in a Dropbox, Google drive or Box folder to PDF. It costs 5$ a month to get those options, but their website states that it also is able to automatically send files in email, upload to skydrive and even convert audio files.

    Thinking of trying Wappwolf myself, if I do I can let you know how good it works...

    The screenshot looks good. The 820 resolution is probably lower. I'll check out wappwolf too. Thank you so much :-)
    I'll definitely buy the 820.

Posting Permissions

";