People who never used WP before , how do they react when they see your device ?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So , It has been 2 months since i got my Lumia 820.Lot of my friends/family/people asked me about my device.Funny thing is apart from one member (my uncle) , nobody knows WP platform and never used a WP (or) tried it before.

I want to write the experience how people handle WP for first time they see it [Most of them have iPhones/iPads and Galaxies/Tabs]

*This is what happens most of the times :*
Whenever someone sees my red phone ,
they ask me "hey , what phone is it ?" or "Is it Lumia ?"
and i would be like "Its Nokia Lumia" [I don't mention any model , just "Nokia Lumia" or "Lumia"] or "Yes , Its Lumia"
and they will be like "Oh OK"

Then they want to see the device.I hand it over.
They search for buttons but don't find any button and ask me how to turn ON the phone.
I ask them to press lock button from side.They get confused whether to press buttom key [camera key] or middle key [lock button] to turn ON.Once they press the right button
They start swiping right and pgone doesn't unlock , then I say "you must swipe upwards to unlock".

After phone gets unlocked :
They look confused and feel chaos , they don't understand anything and remain silent without any word and then they swipe silently to right [generally that's what most of them do because in android or iOS , you see pages of apps from left to right] and then they see apps and start to scroll it down.
While scrolling they ask what apps/games it has.I say the names of bunch of apps and they are clueless.Then , ask it has temple run/subway surfers and I said No (until yesterday) for both.

I show them my start screen which has lot of live tiles (probably 12 or so) flipping over time to time.Then they ask what storage it has and I take the phone into "phone storage" under settings and show them.
They will be like "woah , 60 GB ? that's a lot" and I tell them phone has 8 gb internal and i expanded with 64 gb and lot of my media collection is stored and show them some movies.[only reason i do that is because most of them don't believe that 64GB card is available , they use either 16gb or 32gb cards in their galaxies and then I must show them "phone storage" obviously to show them 64gb card exists]

They will be like "Wow , phone is running so smooth inspite of having 64gb card with most of it filled"

On a serious Note : Everyone who saw the device is curious and highly interested in WP that they show lot of enthusiasm to know more about it.
Then I show them my groups and how I integrate my accounts etc. and also show them tile re-sizing , camera key etc.

Another question what everyone ask is "how do u close apps" and I say "No need to" and they will be like "how is that possible ?" and I press back button long and show them how recent apps are running and resuming as i switch.They ask "so no need to close the apps at all ?" and i say "No , Windows OS handle everything" [i specifically say windows os instead of wp os]

These are my conclusions from what i observed :
-Overall , everyone got highly impressed with WP until they hear that they don't have apps/games which they had in Android/iOS [Temple run being asked by almost everyone and apps like whatsapp,instagram etc.] on WP.
-Lack of specific popular apps is what killing interest in the platform
-Requires biggest learning curve for non-tech person
-Feeling of "confusion" , "chaos" , scratching their heads when they look at the OS for the first time due to different UI and less popularity.This is clearly steering away lot of people.Most of them don't even have a thought of "trying" WP.
-They Like the hardware and color so much but they have lot of love towards their androids or iphones that they don't to leave them for WP.

But some of them are highly Interested in getting the 620 or 920

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I laugh all the time when they cant figure out how to unlock it LOL.. I kind of disagree with "the highest learning curve" statement.. It is kind of hard, but once you get it (about 3 hours top) it becomes very very easy.. Its just because is not popular enough yet.. Wait a couple of months and you'll see..

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I came to WP from an old fashioned flip phone and set up the phone and started using it instantly. Wherever I needed to do seemed very intuitive and just worked. I really didn't have much of a learning curve at all. My wife's iphone5 on the other hand seems to work against my intuition. I really don't like it.

As for reactions... I am mocked by iPhone and android users alike! What is funny is when the iPhone preacher I work with mocks android for the amount of steps it takes to do everything I point out that my WP usually matches or surpasses the iPhone in ease of use. Lack of certain apps has kept my wife and friends from considering WP.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Few people comment on my phone (Lumia 920) but my younger brother picked it up and was impressed. He is an iPhone junkie and it literally runs his life. He was most impressed by the People Hub.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I know two persons, one with a (broken screen) S2 and one with an old Samsung Star, now: Lumia 820 and 800. Same things, they liked the interface and the speed.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
At work we have a choice between Iphone, BB, or WP. My co-workers (4 of them) all went with with Iphone. I went with Nokia 920. All of them after seeing mine said that is the perfect screen size and the best hardware they ever saw. Makes the Iphone look old and outdated - the comments they said.

chklumia

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
most funny thing come from android user(i used to be one),a couple of friends of mine says, ''hey!that is a windows launcher!u use it too?'' *face palm

Olivion17

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Most people who see my Lumia 920 love the hardware, screen, camera, OS, and features. Then there's that on guy in the corner that yells "yea but it doesn't have instagram so its a useless phone get the galaxy s3" my phone makes the galaxy s3 look dated.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
What I've found regarding a learning curve is that it takes about an hour to learn ALL of WP features, whereas someone can pick up an android and use it fairly easily...BUT (and this is a big but), I have found that people using Android generally don't use half of what it can do. I see people all of the time that have an android phone talk about how awesome it is, yet they have no clue about adding widgets or extra pages or different ringtones. So yes, android is easy to pick up and use, but any phone is really...it's learning all of what the phone will do that's important.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Most people who see my Lumia 920 love the hardware, screen, camera, OS, and features. Then there's that on guy in the corner that yells "yea but it doesn't have instagram so its a useless phone get the galaxy s3" my phone makes the galaxy s3 look dated.

Why don't you reply with does the GS3 have Xbox achievements for games? or does it have Microsoft Office to edit docs from the phone?

Requires biggest learning curve for non-tech person

What I've found regarding a learning curve is that it takes about an hour to learn ALL of WP features, whereas someone can pick up an android and use it fairly easily...BUT (and this is a big but), I have found that people using Android generally don't use half of what it can do. I see people all of the time that have an android phone talk about how awesome it is, yet they have no clue about adding widgets or extra pages or different ringtones. So yes, android is easy to pick up and use, but any phone is really...it's learning all of what the phone will do that's important.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

My 78 year old granny learnt in less than an hour and now she even has a Facebook account because she wants a People Hub like me! I just laugh when anyone talks about learning curve for Windows 8 or WP8!

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea the unlock methodology does throw people off, a bit in the beginning. But when someone asks about my phone (L810), I will unlock it for them before I hand it to them and say "Go play with it. Ask questions whenever you want." Sometimes I ask them if I can check out their phone (I am curious also).

Usually the first things they say are, "Wow, this thing is light for it's size! My iPhone is heavy compared to this.", "How do you close your apps?", then "What's with the square with peoples faces changing all the time?".

That's the fun question, which I answer "Oh, that's my contacts and Facebook, IM combined." They always look puzzled at that one. When I show them to go in and swipe left to "What's new", they still look puzzled and say "Oh... I have an app for Facebook too so what?" I have to point out that it's baked into the phone, not an add on. Then the light bulb lights' up and they get it.

When I get the question of "What about xxxxx app?" and I have to say "It's not there, yet.." I notice they don't even have it installed on their phone, they're just parroting what they've heard somewhere esle.. That's when it gets fun and we start start comparing in detail of what they use or don't use on their phone vs what I do on my phone. But it's weird, I find the majority of the people don't use, or just don't know what their phone can do.

I've quit doing the "Smoked by Windows phone" game, now I just ask them what they do most of the time with their phone. It isn't very much. Majority of them are, in order:

1. browse the web (Facebook mainly)
  2. text
  3. post pictures to Facebook, and/or Instagram
  4. play an occasional game or two
  5. look up maps
  6. make calls

That's about it, sure I get the "uber phone geek" once in awhile, but the majority of everyday people are the above. Then it's easy to compare apples to apples in processes.

ItsLogan

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Everyone that has ever asked to see my phone has had to ask me how to unlock it. After that they usually swipe to the left and get my app list and fidget around with it.. People almost never know what to do at the home screen. I try to explain it to them and by the time I am done they usually lose interest. It's a shame you can't hardly keep someone's attention for more than a minute anymore. Everyone I have ever talked to has said that they really like the look of the phone though!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Well I exaggerated "learning curve" comment little bit.Every OS needs a learning curve.
Its not hard after you learn it but due to less familiarity , WP UI feels alienistic at first.
In my workflow , WP does all basic tasks faster than Android or iOS.Once you setup , its very easy to perform things on WP.

Oh I forgot , Lot of people got blown away by the "Photobeamer" app.They ask "how come pictures in ur device come into my screen ? I didn't turn on bluetooth or NFC" and they ask if same app is available on their android/iOS.
I don't know if such an app exist in iOS/Android , that's why I say "I don't know if its available but the app I use is made by Nokia , You need Nokia device to get same app"

Tman596

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I've convinced both of my friends to get a Windows Phone, but they're stuck with their iPhone's until their contract is up. haha

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is SO intuitive that no one needs directions on anything really. For example:

1) Unlock scenario - when you hold a phone with touch screen what do you do? Touch the screen. Tap it. As soon as they hit the unlock button (which isn't rocket science!) screen lights up and then any user will touch it, tap it. The wallpaper actually very elegantly jumps a bit, it shows that motion of going up and down. As if it says "Look there is something behind me" - how can anyone not wanna push that wallpaper bouncing up and down? A kid would figure that one out!

2) The panoramas - you don't need arrows anywhere! As soon as you open an app or any system menu - there is always something peeping at the user from the right. They know there is some more content on the right by just looking at the title in HUGE letters. How can you *not* want to scroll on and see what's hiding? That's how easy it is to discover stuff!

Only place where I can see people confused (same places where any other phone confuses me too!) is where do I find brightness setting, where do I find volume setting etc. But in WP as soon as you discover "settings" - you system settings are all there! How hard was that though?

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think confusion with the UI is the biggest problem. Microsoft needs to run a series of non-flashy ads that show people how to use it.

^This. Who handles the ad dept at MSFT anyways?

I own a 810 and have gotten some positive feedback. I had people used it come away very impressed. I ALWAYS love to do the GLOVES demo to catch up the touch tech on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077