What's up with the 1 GB RAM requirement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
OK let me make it easier for you to understand. The OP complains about apps locked at 1GB RAM requirement when there's nothing to justify this needless limitation. Then you go on and say he should have been well aware of this before buying a WP. Then I responded by asking you how could the OP have known about this? Does Microsoft mention it somewhere? Is it written on the phone box? Was it mentioned during the WP8 announcement?

Microsoft does not sells the phones. Period. So it can't write **** on the phone box. MS mentions that some apps may choose to only support some manufacturers with their apps or only 1gb phones. I still fail to see why is MS to blame. I don't see android people blaming google that they do not have the latest version of their os on their devices. I don't see android users blaming google that some apps do not work on their devices due to various requirements. No one is selling you a handset and tells you that you can run all apps in the world. Being furious and being fair are 2 different things. Why should be MS guilty that quality of some apps is lacking or that some game developers don't make their games for lower end devices.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why you are so angry at MS. Did MS developed and published those games? No they did not. The developers choose to support only 1gb devices. Blame them. Contact those developers and complain that you want to buy their game and so they should make a 512mb ram version. Then they will spend the time and make it for 512mb devices. Blame MS for the apps they make not for apps made by others.

As for the platform moving fast. What does that means? I'm a company I'm making a game. I choose to support wp8. I then hire some wp8 programmers or retrain my programmers to work on wp8 devices. This takes between 1 month to 2 month. This process of course starts in November when they have the sdk and phones the phones at their disposal. There comes December with winter holidays. Actual work begins in January. It takes 2-3 month to make a good game so what do you expect? How fast is fast in your dictionary? Software products as other products need time to be made and tested. Seams so few now remember the android launch and it's problems and lack of apps in the begging and it's slow speed.

Developers can excuse themselves whatever way they want but ultimately , Losers are WP8 users and MS.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
OK let me make it easier for you to understand. The OP complains about apps locked at 1GB RAM requirement when there's nothing to justify this needless limitation. Then you go on and say he should have been well aware of this before buying a WP. Then I responded by asking you how could the OP have known about this? Does Microsoft mention it somewhere? Is it written on the phone box? Was it mentioned during the WP8 announcement?

I'm,assuming you could get the answer off this link.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/10/30/introducing-windows-phone-sdk-8-0.aspx

Edit: The SDK supports,devices with 512mb so to make it super simple for you to understand "wait until the devs get them out for the 512" .

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft does not sells the phones. Period. So it can't write **** on the phone box. MS mentions that some apps may choose to only support some manufacturers with their apps or only 1gb phones. I still fail to see why is MS to blame. I don't see android people blaming google that they do not have the latest version of their os on their devices. I don't see android users blaming google that some apps do not work on their devices due to various requirements. No one is selling you a handset and tells you that you can run all apps in the world. Being furious and being fair are 2 different things. Why should be MS guilty that quality of some apps is lacking or that some game developers don't make their games for lower end devices.
Microsoft approves these apps don't they? It's simple. Don't approve apps that have these pointless limitations that make them unusable on the majority of Windows Phones.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft approves these apps don't they? It's simple. Don't approve apps that have these pointless limitations that make them unusable on the majority of Windows Phones.
Even though Appstore is curated , This is one of the reasons for Apple's success in bringing it to the level it is today.

They reject lot of apps which consume unnecessary info and make junk out of the device.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
At this point in time MS wants to build,up their appbase, and then expand it. I would think by having these restrictions in place devs aren't gonna be excited to push out good stuff sooner. Just a thought!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
At this point in time MS wants to build,up their appbase, and then expand it. I would think by having these restrictions in place devs are,gonna be excited to push out good stuff sooner. Just a thought!
Does it mean that MS wants to play by devs wishes until WP becomes bigger and then take everything under their hands ?

That's exactly what Google did and Now Samsung is dancing on them.

In S4 keynote , there is no mention of google at all and Playstore became a junk but improving little after google made guidelines and started being somewhat restrictive.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Really? What is pointless? My app my requirements. I sell a piece of software and as long as I don't violate a set of rules I can require any kind of requirements. MS is not police when it comes to apps requirements. Google approves everything just like MS. I believed we all trust open markets where consumers decide what is best for them or not. Approving apps that do not violate accepted rules is one thing taking down apps because you or a number of people believe that an app should be made this way or that way is different. You can always punish the developer by refusing to use it's services or software. From my point those who needlessly do not support low end devices just screw themselves up and makes it possible for competition to provide better products. MS is tied by a set of published rules describing when an app gets rejected. Who are we to judge a piece os software requirements. Don't like don't agree don't buy or use. You as customer you have the ultimate decision. But be fair and responsible don't throw the blame where it is not due

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If you just considered temple run. The app was available to download, live tile "dead", game was glitchy, people reported white game background when the the phone theme was,set to "light" , so all this explains why imangi and MS just to get that game in the store. P.s.The live tile issue has been fixed.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. Microsoft needs to take initiative NOW or risk becoming the Play Store.

I completely agree. But what can they do when people are blaming them for lack of apps or lack of investment in the platform. I was pissed off when MS allowed whatsap to be in the store. That ugly hack to use background audio streaming that to support fast app resume I presume is plain stupid. But how would people react when MS banish a popular app like whatsapp? This audio hack is used on iphone too and Apple is missing some apps that use this trick and can be found in store.

As for live tile not working in temple run case. This is not something that MS can impose. If I want my live tile to just display nothing MS can't force me to use the live tile like you or they want they need to be fair. As customers there is the review for an app. Review it fairly and this way you can show your approval or disapproval with an app or game.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree. But what can they do when people are blaming them for lack of apps or lack of investment in the platform. I was pissed off when MS allowed whatsap to be in the store. That ugly hack to use background audio streaming that to support fast app resume I presume is plain stupid. But how would people react when MS banish a popular app like whatsapp? This audio hack is used on iphone too and Apple is missing some apps that use this trick and can be found in store.

As for live tile not working in temple run case. This is not something that MS can impose. If I want my live tile to just display nothing MS can't force me to use the live tile like you or they want they need to be fair. As customers there is the review for an app. Review it fairly and this way you can show your approval or disapproval with an app or game.
I never blamed MS for,that. My point was imangi might have missed running some tests on,the games coz they just wanted the game online sooner. Certain issues do get slipped through the cracks, and no ones to blame. 😊

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I never blamed MS for,that. My point was imangi might have missed running some tests on,the games coz they just wanted the game online sooner. Certain issues do get slipped through the cracks, and no ones to blame. ��
When we speak of these issues , Ultimately its nobody's fault.

But it would be nice that MS closely starts working with devs rather than throwing off some money and asking them to make apps.

But MS should definitely maintain Apple's Appstore like maintainance to filter out junk and bloated apps.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
When we speak of these issues , Ultimately its nobody's fault.

But it would be nice that MS closely starts working with devs rather than throwing off some money and asking them to make apps.

But MS should definitely maintain Apple's Appstore like maintainance to filter out junk and bloated apps.
+1

anon(5345625)

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you really defending an internet radio's app for requiring 1GB of RAM? Some apps legitimately need more memory, but Now Tune In? I'd expect any phone made since the 1st iPhone to be able to steam music.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Are you really defending an internet radio's app for requiring 1GB of RAM? Some apps legitimately need more memory, but Now Tune In? I'd expect any phone made since the 1st iPhone to be able to steam music.

Nope. I personally and maybe subjectively defend MS in this instance. I can't imagine why the app needs 1GB requirements. It may even be a misuse of capabilities that slipped. it may be marketing(targeting people with higher-end phones because presumably they have more money). But if you don't agree with them because of this requirements give them low rating and don't use their product. You have choice as consumer and also you have power to punish apps by means of reviews.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm feeling good to see the second page is more discussion instead of people insulting each other in the first page.

in my opinion, Imangi Studios just ported the game with the least effort because they didn't think the Windows Phone base worth the more effort they need to make the app efficient enough to run on 512 devices.

But, the long term problem would be like this: I have an 820/920, and I showed my friend the beautiful UI of Windows Phone, and the availability of some popular apps, which I showed Temple Run. So, he/she rushed to a Nokia store to get the latest Lumia, which is the 520 and 720. You know the rest. He/she won't buy any Windows Phone again, because he/she was 'lied' by Windows Phone, or worse, I'm no longer his/her friend. Nobody to blame for this.

I think, Microsoft should brand devices with "Windows Phone 8" for 1GB and "Windows Phone 8 Basic" for 512MB (remember the Vista Basic days?). people wont be disappointed when they get less with their 512 devices.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Apps would certainly run on the 512 but with some code being tuned for performance which comes,with a cost=time. So I'm,sure MS would not desert the 512's. This was how it was in Dec last year when I got the 920, great device no quality apps to tale advantage of. Now I feel its,become a tad better for the 1 gigers so the 512 will,have their good,days soon.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm feeling good to see the second page is more discussion instead of people insulting each other in the first page.

in my opinion, Imangi Studios just ported the game with the least effort because they didn't think the Windows Phone base worth the more effort they need to make the app efficient enough to run on 512 devices.

But, the long term problem would be like this: I have an 820/920, and I showed my friend the beautiful UI of Windows Phone, and the availability of some popular apps, which I showed Temple Run. So, he/she rushed to a Nokia store to get the latest Lumia, which is the 520 and 720. You know the rest. He/she won't buy any Windows Phone again, because he/she was 'lied' by Windows Phone, or worse, I'm no longer his/her friend. Nobody to blame for this.

I think, Microsoft should brand devices with "Windows Phone 8" for 1GB and "Windows Phone 8 Basic" for 512MB (remember the Vista Basic days?). people wont be disappointed when they get less with their 512 devices.

Android phones do not use such branding and they are fine. I see your point but I see the situation like this. They made a 1gb version. They can now measure impact on wp8 users. And then see if it is economically viable to make the version for 512 versions. I strongly believe that in the case of temple run they will recompile their assets and make a 512mb version of the game. It's clearly the game still needs some polishing and that it was not fully tested.

I'm not in the situation to complain about the game not being 512 mb ready. So I really don't care but I believe that those people who have 512mb phones should get in touch with the game developer and state their case and the desire to play the game on their devices.

jwdaigle

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Apps would certainly run on the 512 but with some code being tuned for performance which comes,with a cost=time. So I'm,sure MS would not desert the 512's. This was how it was in Dec last year when I got the 920, great device no quality apps to tale advantage of. Now I feel its,become a tad better for the 1 gigers so the 512 will,have their good,days soon.

Well, I have to say I am with the "1GB RAM Requirement is stupid" set. And I gotta be honest, I think this is MS's fault (and truth be told I am borderline MS ******). They are on a VERY slippery slope with this fragmentation of 512 versus 1GB.
We need to keep in mind it was just recently all those 800/900 etc phone owners were told "sorry, no future for you" a short time (6-9 months was it?) after buying their "high end" phones. This stung a lot of people pretty badly (and dont even get me started about WP7.8 being lip service).
That sting still hurts, and now it appears the MS ecosystem is about to do it again? Whoops, you just bought a 720 (not even purchasable yet!), and you are screwed cuz many apps wont run on it - stupid you.
If this trend continues with more and more apps, it will be painful for MS I think.
Why do I think this is MS fault? Because they should have known that 512 phones wouldnt last long, and should have required 1GB. Is the cost difference in a phone that big?
For what its worth, I also blame Nokia to an extent - low cost is good, but selling phones that are short term dead ends (again, if this trend continues) is a disservice to the platform. Most people that buy phones don't know what the diff is until they realize they cant get certain apps.

And to those that will flame me for stating my thoughts, please look back one page :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb