MS controlling nokia and HTC production

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
MS is controlling the phone specs of nokia and htc so they don't compete against each other
eg- htc 8x fits right between the specs of 820 and 920 and soon the HTC tiara is going to fit between 720 and 820 by having 1.2 ghz and 1 gb ram
the problem with this is i want only a nokia lumia phone and was thinking of a mid range 1gb ram device and good camera....the 720 lacks the 1 gb ram as MS wants htc tiara to be that phone....which makes the 720,620 and 520 have the same internals
MS is holding back lumia 720 in this way

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MS only makes the OS. They don't manufacture phones. They state minimum requirements of hardware anyone should have in order to get a legit copy of OS working. That's all. Everything else, is more or less, a myth.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
MS is controlling the phone specs of nokia and htc so they don't compete against each other

No. MS has nowhere near that amount of control over HTC and Nokia. That would require that MS hold majority stakes in both companies.

MS has many reasons for restricting hardware choices. Many threads exist that discuss the reasons why.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
the battery,camera,design and corning gorilla glass with lower price of lumia 720 tempt me
i can get an 820 only if i can find that yellow nokia active shell and a beefier battery in india....any idea?

waiting for extra shells , I don't have any idea when they go on sale up here.

Yeah batteries too.

I am also waiting. I have a red 820 btw.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Everything else, is more or less, a myth.
I don't think Microsoft's public partnerships with Nokia & HTC and a statement from a Microsoft exec are myths. Whether they explicitly created a no-compete situation is up for debate (and highly unlikely), but Microsoft definitely has influence over products from both companies.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Companies do what the OP is proposing themselves to offer choice in the marketplace. Want a good examlpe. Look at the desktop PC video card market. Its been like that for years between Nvidia and AMD.

MSFT is in no position to demand no-compete clauses when it comes to WP.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
MSFT is in no position to demand no-compete clauses when it comes to WP.

Agree. Why in h3ll would MS even want that though. MS is officially on record saying that their hardware partners didn't compete enough... BTW.

I think the notion is completely absurd.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Having minimal specifications and pairing ram with resolution for performance reasons is not influencing what devices the OEMs are allowed to make. OEMs understand the concept of fighting for the crown with flagship devices and the fact that mid-level and low-level devices is where the money are made. They are allowed to compete in all sectors and no one is dictating them what devices they should make.

Don't forget that no one designs and makes a phone in a month. It's more like at least a 6 month process. So all the phones we see are designed for half an year at least(maybe expect phones like 520 and 620 who probably have a common base design hardware wise).

And this aspect works good for OEMs too. Having some hw guidelines helps with the situations found in android landscape where a lot of low-end middle-end phones are released with specifications that can't handle the OS or app handling in a smooth matter thus hurting the image of the company and eventually the adoption and sells of the devices.

No one forces Huawei to make a mid-level device and not a flagship. They simply did not want to make a flagship just as Samsung did not desire to make a mid-end low-end device(that would actually spread the ecosystem and it's not something they are looking for)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills