iPhone 5 to WP8

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have spent a few days doing a search about this subject. I have been a lurker here for awhile and I enjoy the site. I figured I might get lambasted if I ask this question, but what the heck...if it helps me make up my mind, its worth it!

Here is my background. I currently have an iPhone 5. My first smartphone was a iPhone 3 about 6 months after it was released. I LOVED it! I upgraded to iPhone 4 shortly after that was released. Whe n WP7 was released, I decided to give it a shot (I have a family of 5 and we all have phones...IK used one of my kids upgrades hehe). I took it home and LOVED the UI, but after 2 or 3 days, some of the small things started bothering me. Such as no custom ring tones, couldn't send MMS, poor call quality. I turned it back in and went back to the iPhone, which was sad because I really likes the Metro UI. Now WP8 is here and there are 2 phones that I am currently looking at if I wast to return to the WP8. The Lumia 920 and the HTC 8x. I need help on which one to get. One thing is certain, however, I AM leaving iOS soon.

Here are what I use the most on my iPhone 5.

- Google Maps and Apples new proprietary maps
- Gmail and Hotmail
- Camera and Photos
- Weather Apps
- iTunes and App Store
- Soundhound
- Flixster
- Facebook
- Twitter
- Tumblr
- Netflix

I don't usually have movies on my phone although I do have 3 on my iPhone at this time. I have the 32GB version and I have 18GB available, more if I take the movies off. Photo quality is nice but not the end all be all for me. I would like the phone to be "future proof" for up to a year if you know what I mean. I am a casual user but I always have my phone with me, mostly for internet and checking mail. I also use the maps quiet often, because I just moved from NM to FL.

Now, based on the above info, which I hope is enough for good advice, which phone would I be most happy with? I like the way the THC 8x looks and feels, but the Lumia just seems to have a little more "gadgets".

Thanks for everything. I know this is my first post but I hope there will be many more once I make my decision!

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I also text quiet a bit with my family, and that includes texting pictures, especially when I am at work (my wife and I work for same place and its helpful to explain my points when I send pics or vids with my texts). I assume you can send MMS now with WP8?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I also text quiet a bit with my family, and that includes texting pictures, especially when I am at work (my wife and I work for same place and its helpful to explain my points when I send pics or vids with my texts). I assume you can send MMS now with WP8?

Yes.

Edit: If you do move from an iPhone to WP8, make sure you turn off iMessaging on your iPhone before moving the SIM to WP8 (or any non-apple phone). Otherwise your telephone number will be locked into the iMessaging system and you will have messaging issues, especially if you group message.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. Thats the first I have heard of that! From all the youtube vids I have been watching and reviews I have read. Thank you!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Now, based on the above info, which I hope is enough for good advice, which phone would I be most happy with? I like the way the THC 8x looks and feels, but the Lumia just seems to have a little more "gadgets".

Thanks for everything. I know this is my first post but I hope there will be many more once I make my decision!

I'd go for Lumia 920. I think that Nokia are pushing the platform more than anyone... there are exclusive apps that come out on the Nokia's first.

Everything you do is sounds like it's supported either through direct apps or equivalents.

I moved from an iPhone to 920 a few months back... am loving having something different to everyone else. And enjoying the refreshingly new looking platform too.

When I demo the low level light camera and ultra sensitive touchscreen people's eyes light up. And while you don't sound like a gamer, the Xbox feature is another area people think is neat.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I am an XBOX 360 and PS3 gamer (I lean 360 though). I loved the Xbox app when I had the Samsung Focus. Thank you for your responses!

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The 920 is my first WP and I would say there is a learning curve. Looking at your list and from my experience I would definitely say you will appreciate the 920, sweet phone. I have had it 2 months and I am continuously impressed and it always looks brand new. I have not used a 8x except at the att store. Not bad at all, check um both, but the 920 is bad azz.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
The 920 is my first WP and I would say there is a learning curve. Looking at your list and from my experience I would definitely say you will appreciate the 920, sweet phone. I have had it 2 months and I am continuously impressed and it always looks brand new. I have not used a 8x except at the att store. Not bad at all, check um both, but the 920 is bad azz.

Thank you! I am not a power user at all. I do like the convenience of some apps more than others, but if you see me on my phone, its usually on the internet or checking my gmail.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have spent a few days doing a search about this subject. I have been a lurker here for awhile and I enjoy the site. I figured I might get lambasted if I ask this question, but what the heck...if it helps me make up my mind, its worth it!

Here is my background. I currently have an iPhone 5. My first smartphone was a iPhone 3 about 6 months after it was released. I LOVED it! I upgraded to iPhone 4 shortly after that was released. Whe n WP7 was released, I decided to give it a shot (I have a family of 5 and we all have phones...IK used one of my kids upgrades hehe). I took it home and LOVED the UI, but after 2 or 3 days, some of the small things started bothering me. Such as no custom ring tones, couldn't send MMS, poor call quality. I turned it back in and went back to the iPhone, which was sad because I really likes the Metro UI. Now WP8 is here and there are 2 phones that I am currently looking at if I wast to return to the WP8. The Lumia 920 and the HTC 8x. I need help on which one to get. One thing is certain, however, I AM leaving iOS soon.

Here are what I use the most on my iPhone 5.

- Google Maps and Apples new proprietary maps - Replace with Bing Maps and Here (Nokia) Maps
- Gmail and Hotmail - Hotmail syncs wonderfully with WP. Full Gmail support coming in GDR2 update with CalDAV and CardDAV support
- Camera and Photos - Can't beat the Lumia 920's camera. If you're on Verizon, wait for the 928.
- Weather Apps - Tons of beautiful weather apps in the store
- iTunes and App Store - Over 150,000 apps and still growing. Bigger name apps are starting to appear. Most still waiting for Instagram and a few others.
- Soundhound - Available in the store
- Flixster - Available in the store
- Facebook - OS integration plus Microsoft Facebook app
- Twitter - OS integration, official twitter app plus a ton of excellent 3rd party apps
- Tumblr - An official app supposedly on the way. Some 3rd party apps in store (Blueprints)
- Netflix - Available in the store

I don't usually have movies on my phone although I do have 3 on my iPhone at this time. I have the 32GB version and I have 18GB available, more if I take the movies off. Photo quality is nice but not the end all be all for me. I would like the phone to be "future proof" for up to a year if you know what I mean. I am a casual user but I always have my phone with me, mostly for internet and checking mail. I also use the maps quiet often, because I just moved from NM to FL.

A lot of the issues you mention have been addressed like custom ringtones, mms, etc. I've been there since the beginning as well with my old Dell Venue Pro and I stuck it out. I think you'll find that the OS has matured enough for you to give it a try again. Honestly, The 8X is a beautiful phone, but the camera and the constant updates and Nokia's drive to succeed swayed me to the 920. Plus you get a little bit more screen resolution and more storage. Coming from the i5, you might think the 920 is a heavy brick but rest assured, it's worth it.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Get a 920, Military Armor Shield and enjoy. iOS still is the easiest experience and quite convenient, but the 920 is wonderful to use. Beautiful screen, wireless charging, Nokia support, great camera, durable, and has a real premium feel to it.

Be warned: it's big and heavy.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your advice! I have always thought the iPhone 5 is too light. I put a case on it just to make it heavier! Anyway, I like the 920, and I love the 8x looks. In the end, I'll have to make a decision so I value everyones input! Thank you!

Olivion17

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If your looking for the best windows phone experience the Nokia Lumia 920 is your answer. Some of the exclusive features are standards for me now. I can't live with out wireless charging or being able to see my screen in day light easily. Plus Nokia try's the hardest at pushing windows phones and it shows alot. I've owned every generation of windows phone. I've had the HTC hd7, Nokia Lumia 900, and now I have the Nokia Lumia 920. Nokia seems to be the only guys trying hard with windows phone. HTC and Samsung are to focused on android. I mean look at the HTC one that thing could have made a beautiful windows phone. The 8X is good but the Ones design and features are far superior. But the One is still playing catch up to the Lumia 920 in terms of camera, features, and innovation. Nokia really set the bar high with the Lumia 920 and I haven't seen another phone take it down yet. ( not talking about screen resolution or processing power of course ) Do yourself and Nokia the favor and get the Lumia 920 you'll love it.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Awesome responses! Thank you all so much. If I had to choose today, it would be a 920 for sure. I just wonder, however, if there is a better phone coming down the pipe in the during this calendar year?

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from webOS and was searching for the same answer to 920 or 8X.

I ordered the 8X yesterday, because of the smaller screen size with more natural colours, and its more palm-fitting housing design.

lamazion

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I went from an iphone 5 to the 920. I love the 920 and WP8. My only issue is the periodic unexplained battery drain. Many days I'll get 1 1/2 to 2 days on a charge. Then, with no apps running, my battery will die in a handful of hrs. Hopefully this will be solved with a future update because the rest is great!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Med, just something I have to point out that wasn't mentioned in these great responses, you may have an issue using your Gmail on a WP. With MS & Google basically at war, the EAS standard was dropped by google and your mail may not sync. I would highly recommend that u check out getting a new outlook.com address. U may already have a hotmail or live since you used the wp7 in the past...? I would FWD mail from your Gmail to it and move on that way.

There are other folks with a lot more knowledge on this subject than me but I've already had to help some family members out with their accounts.

Also, the Nokia 920 would be the beat for you. You can add more memory if I'm not mistaken so you could get your 32gb. (I've got an 8x that is landlocked to 16GB.) Nice phone, but the only one for me on VZW. The 822 just didn't impress me.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I would go with the 920. I went through something similar to you, moving from the iphone 4s to WP8. I refused to get the IP5 when it came out because it just felt so cheap compared to the IP4. The 920 steps it up a notch. It is not in slightest bit heavy. It is double the weight of the IP5 and so some people use the comparison to call it heavy, which always seems an odd dig at the 920 to me. You wouldn't call two feathers heavy just because it wasn't one feather!
Truth is the 920 feels a perfect weight - it lets you know that you have a real quality device and is still light in the hand in pocket.

In relation to your main uses I would say the 920 is the choice mainly because of the camera. It is top quality and I still cant believe some of the images I get in low light with it. The other reason would be the support Nokia are giving WP8 and how seriously they seem to be taking the platform.

Good luck - you'll enjoy WP8 if you take the plunge.

jcagga

Banned
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
920 have too many issues with dusts get into FF camera, battery issues, heating issues, not able to sign in with Microsoft account etc. I had 8x on Verizon since last December and based on people complain about issued, I'm safe to say Verizon 8x is the most stable phone I've ever used even within windows phone devices. Even though I adore my sexy red 8x with thinness that can't be compared to 920, supposedly 928 is coming out with updated specs on Verizon soon.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
920 have too many issues with dusts get into FF camera, battery issues, heating issues, not able to sign in with Microsoft account etc. I had 8x on Verizon since last December and based on people complain about issued, I'm safe to say Verizon 8x is the most stable phone I've ever used even within windows phone devices. Even though I adore my sexy red 8x with thinness that can't be compared to 920, supposedly 928 is coming out with updated specs on Verizon soon.

There are issues with all phones but the majority of 920 owners don't experience the issues you listed. I can find just as many 'issues' online with the 8x and the IP5 or any other phone for that matter.
I think the OP is aware of all the potential issues - he mentioned he had been looking through the forums.