Next major windows phone update and what you want in it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. How about the phone continually tries to keep sending a text if in a low reception area, sending it at the next available opportunity automatically? Depending on where I am, I get REAL tired of the "Cant' Send: Try again" bounce back messages, which have the same sound as an incoming text so you think you got a reply back.

It's like *send message* *5 seconds elapse* *Try again message comes back* *tap try again* *8 seconds elapse *try again message comes back* *tap try again*... etc. I can't ever guess when it's going to happen, either, because sometimes the phone might show great reception and THEN I'll tap the try again message... but alas, it doesn't always work.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I would like MS to;
Fix the xbox music app
Let me create a tile to direct dial. I hate having to tap my contact and then tap dial
Better tab implementation in IE
I would like to pin photos
Something like Google Now
I would like the phone tile to take me to the dial pad not my call history
I would like it if MS would let us set different default apps. i.e. web browser, text messaging
Better Xbox live account management
and...

I want them to start throwing money at developers. When I was on Android I thought I didn't care about apps because I usually just used the browser but now I'm realizing how much I miss the varied app selection.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
1. Include viber/ whatsapp in the people hub
2. Create pdf from word and excel
3. Close apps from multitask view

gnirkatto

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
1. a non-abysmal calendar (how can an experienced SW company produce something like the current one!?) - readable month view, also displaying the appointments for the highlighted day, and a week view. Alternatively: give app developers full access to calendars!
2. (notification center) - I'm actually happy with the lock screen notifications. What about to allow for more apps to be shown there, e.g. 10 instead of 5 only? The current 5 are not enough for me. That would be an effective solution. And way less complex to make, compared to a fully featured notification center.
3. notification lights-an option to make the LEDs underneath the WP keys blink in case of new messages & missed calls etc.
4. independent ringtone/signal/music volumes (or even better: profiles!)
5. allow for apps to be grouped in folders (or similar) - the list gets too long !
6. close apps in app switcher view (e.g. red X)
7. allow for the dictionary to be edited, not only to be deleted entirely . Why can't I get words that I added mistakenly out of the dictionary but rather have to delete ALL words that were collected over many weeks or months?
8. always show signal strength, WiFi, BT etc. in first line of home screen. Why does this have to go away?
9. a smarter PC sync app - the current one is a disaster. doesn't remember settings nor selections of what to sync.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and how could I forget...THE ABILITY TO CHARGE MY PHONE WHILE IT IS OFF!!! The all caps were intentional. :)

(Sidenote: Am I doing something wrong? Why can't I charge my phone while it is off? This is the first phone that does not have this BASIC feature!)

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Though the list of what I want is long I'd like to highlight some major changes I want in the next major update:

• Enable fast resume in the SDK by default. Developers should NOT have the option to include it, they should not need to do anything extra to enable it. When the app is compiled fast resume should automatically be enabled. It's a very useful feature that is constantly being ignored by many devs for no reason what so ever.
  • Enable lock screen notification support by default. Again this isn't something that should need extra work on the part of the developer.
  • The next major update is when a line needs to be drawn about apps that do not fully support Windows Phone 8. I think Microsoft now needs to make this mandatory that all apps submitted to the store need to be made for WP8 from the ground up. These apps that are both for WP7 and WP8 are severely dampening the experience on devices like L920. Likewise any app that doesn't support 720p resolution should not pass certification.
  • Fix multitasking

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and how could I forget...THE ABILITY TO CHARGE MY PHONE WHILE IT IS OFF!!! The all caps were intentional. :)

(Sidenote: Am I doing something wrong? Why can't I charge my phone while it is off? This is the first phone that does not have this BASIC feature!)

My Lumia 820 charges whilst turned off. It just displays a huge as battery icon charging.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Fix the text messages over bluetooth connection in my car that worked so well with my HTC Titan WP7.5, but doesn't work at all with my 8X! That's my number 1, 2 and 3 request.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Though the list of what I want is long I'd like to highlight some major changes I want in the next major update:

• Enable fast resume in the SDK by default. Developers should NOT have the option to include it, they should not need to do anything extra to enable it. When the app is compiled fast resume should automatically be enabled. It's a very useful feature that is constantly being ignored by many devs for no reason what so ever.
  • Enable lock screen notification support by default. Again this isn't something that should need extra work on the part of the developer.
  • The next major update is when a line needs to be drawn about apps that do not fully support Windows Phone 8. I think Microsoft now needs to make this mandatory that all apps submitted to the store need to be made for WP8 from the ground up. These apps that are both for WP7 and WP8 are severely dampening the experience on devices like L920. Likewise any app that doesn't support 720p resolution should not pass certification.
  • Fix multitasking

Fast resume when active by default can cause some problems. And not all apps are designed to be fast resume ready.
The background tasks situation you report is what happens when you have deep links(toasts also) and you support fast app resume.
As for harsher apps rules by MS I totally agree. And also ban apps that force themselves in the background with hacks like audio streaming(but not playing) or masking themselves as gps apps.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I was just informed that this is a feature of WP 8. I hope they disable this annoying "feature". I would rather charge it while it's off.

This feature allows some apps to sync large chunk of data in certain condition. Those tasks are called resource intensive tasks and they are actually quite a neat feature

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett