Next major windows phone update and what you want in it.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Something that I just saw this morning...the ability to disable the shortcut or jump letters in the app list...not everyone wants this! Especially if you don't have a lot of apps.

amirhj

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
- Remote Desktop App from Microsoft
- Video Player to support MKV, MP4 ...
- Notification
- A feature to open default application from webpage. e.g. When click on email from LinkedIn I like my LinkedIn app opens

Dale7G

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
When swiping in from the top you get the bt,wifi,signal,time etc.

pressing these icons should bring a corresponding setting/app screen (wifi selection clock (alarms) bt menu, etc)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just thought about this... The ability to have bookmark folders in IE and to be able to add those folders to your start screen.

Also Flash support. I know alot of ppl say that flash is becoming obsolete, but I just visited 2 websites that needed flash support and couldn't view them because of no flash. There are still alot of sites that use it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Also Flash support. I know alot of ppl say that flash is becoming obsolete, but I just visited 2 websites that needed flash support and couldn't view them because of no flash. There are still alot of sites that use it.
Out of all the things in this thread, this is the most definitive no. Adobe completely pulled out of Flash on mobile... I don't remember why (performance issues... security... updating... etc). But if it was pulled from Android, never to be supported or offered again, then you just know it won't ever be coming to anything else either.

It's going to take a long time for flash to disappear off of websites though, it really is.

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see:
-how battery used by each apps
-ability to move installed apps to SD Card
-buttons to easily switch and close tabs in IE
-swipe upward/downward instead of pressing the back button again and again to close apps in multitasking feature

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Out of all the things in this thread, this is the most definitive no. Adobe completely pulled out of Flash on mobile... I don't remember why (performance issues... security... updating... etc). But if it was pulled from Android, never to be supported or offered again, then you just know it won't ever be coming to anything else either.

It's going to take a long time for flash to disappear off of websites though, it really is.

I knew I read that somewhere...just can't remember where. Oh well...

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The ability to stop music, videos, and podcasts without using an app....ridiculous! I don't want it paused I just want a simple stop button. Simple. Just seems like sooo many simple things are missing...i still love my first Windows Phone, but these oddities can be very cumbersome. :(

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The ability to stop music, videos, and podcasts without using an app....ridiculous! I don't want it paused I just want a simple stop button. Simple. Just seems like sooo many simple things are missing...i still love my first Windows Phone, but these oddities can be very cumbersome. :(

I personally love the feature (yes, I consider that a feature) that WP saves the song I was last listening in the volume control bar. It's great if you listen to a lot of music but have to stop listening it intermittently. When you're ready to listen some tunes again, no need to go back to the app.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ agree! What is the difference between stopping and pausing anyway? Answer: nothing. Audio stops either way. Pausing has the benefit of being able to resume.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
^ agree! What is the difference between stopping and pausing anyway? Answer: nothing. Audio stops either way. Pausing has the benefit of being able to resume.

The problem is that when you are streaming music on data, ppl have been reported data still being used ( even if it's a reduced amount) when the music is paused instead if completely stopped. I am almost certain that the battery is affected when music is paused instead of closed as well. Its like when your computer sleeps instead of powering down, just because the lid is temporarily closed, doesn't mean that all processes are stopped during sleep mode versus actually turning it off. When an app sleeps it may still use processes or data until the app is completely closed. This is very simple, and none of my older phones had this issue. Its very confusing for a new WP user to understand why you can't simply close an app or stop a music/ video. A lot of users would prefer a simple closure of apps and music to ensure no data usage and to prolong battery life.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I personally love the feature (yes, I consider that a feature) that WP saves the song I was last listening in the volume control bar. It's great if you listen to a lot of music but have to stop listening it intermittently. When you're ready to listen some tunes again, no need to go back to the app.
Why not offer both options...the ability to come right back where you left off and also the ability to completely stop the music. Some ppl (including myself) have noticed faster battery drains while the music is paused instead of completely closed. Also, when streaming on limited data, one needs to be certain that certain music apps are closed, not paused. Pls see my post above comparing this "feature" to sleep mode on laptops, its the same concept. :)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that when you are streaming music on data, ppl have been reported data still being used ( even if it's a reduced amount) when the music is paused instead if completely stopped. I am almost certain that the battery is affected when music is paused instead of closed as well. Its like when your computer sleeps instead of powering down, just because the lid is temporarily closed, doesn't mean that all processes are stopped during sleep mode versus actually turning it off. When an app sleeps it may still use processes or data until the app is completely closed. This is very simple, and none of my older phones had this issue. Its very confusing for a new WP user to understand why you can't simply close an app or stop a music/ video. A lot of users would prefer a simple closure of apps and music to ensure no data usage and to prolong battery life.

If you have any data to back up the assertion that battery is used when music is not playing, that would be good to see. Considering the lengths to which WP designers have gone to reduce battery use (such as turning off WiFi when locked, putting apps to sleep when not on top etc) I find it incredibly hard to believe that when music is paused it is using any noticeable amount of battery compared to not playing. I love the way pausing/resuming music works currently. And it's not remotely comparable to sleep mode on a laptop.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just seems like sooo many simple things are missing...i still love my first Windows Phone, but these oddities can be very cumbersome. :(

M$ is running the same path Motorola ran years ago (when Nokia released phones with full featured OS): veeeeeery few functionalities but great UI/design.
So, WP will be forever a very spartan OS. If you need features, apps, options and customization, WP will never suite your needs.
If you just need a phone with great UI and simple browsing and chatting capabilities, then nothing is better than WP.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that when you are streaming music on data, ppl have been reported data still being used ( even if it's a reduced amount) when the music is paused instead if completely stopped.

I have so far not witnessed this myself. I've been on these forums for a while now, and your mention is the first time I've heard of it. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if that problem exists, it certainly isn't widespread. Maybe it was a problem once, but is no longer?

Anyway, even if the problem you're referring to does exist, then the solution is to ensure that a paused media player isn't using any data, because that truly would be terrible. Adding a stop button however... that is just a hack, to fix a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If MS used that philosophy to fix every problem, the UI would soon become an utterly useless mess.

Why not offer both options...the ability to come right back where you left off and also the ability to completely stop the music.

The metro UI is all about minimalism. The best user interfaces are built by constantly asking what can yet be removed (without compromising functionality), instead of what more could possibly be "piled on". This UI design choice exemplifies exactly that. People aren't used to it, but it is good UI design.

Think about this conceptually. What is the difference (forget about bug squashing for a moment) between "stop" and "pause"? Back in the day when all we had were CD players, differing between the two made sense:

stop = stop playing music, stop spinning the disc, park the laser
pause = stop playing music, keep spinning the disk, keep the laser where it is.

On todays digital media players, there is no disk to spin and no laser to park. The only thing that remains, which both functions share, is to "stop playing music". Only one common feature remains, so we might as well get rid of one of those buttons. Anything else is just about hanging on to an old habit whose time has passed.

That is why WP should not offer both options.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234