Facebook Home on WP

teo155

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a Facebook addicted, but I'm a Facebook and wp8 frustrated user since the facebook app for this OS is still really bad, as we all know.
There will be the possibility (in your opinion) to see the new Facebook Home on a WP(8)?

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I do not think so. The Facebook Home is a launcher just like any other launcher for the android OS. Since Microsoft does not allow any customization on their OS i do not think it will happen anytime soon. Yesterday the one thing that they were pointing out all the time was that the android OS is so open you can do whatever you want which makes me believe that Facebook Home will not even be in Apple store for Iphones.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
What is wrong with current Facebook app? The last update was great as far as I can see. It seems people just repeat what they hear until that sentiment gets thought of as fact. If you don't like the MS version, try FB Next in the store...has every option available and quite smooth...probably best option so far.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I also find nothing wrong with the FB app on WP8. I use the Microsoft one. It has everything I really need. I guess for the FB addicted it might be limited.

teo155

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
What is wrong with current Facebook app? The last update was great as far as I can see. It seems people just repeat what they hear until that sentiment gets thought of as fact. If you don't like the MS version, try FB Next in the store...has every option available and quite smooth...probably best option so far.
Hey, don't judge me if you don't know me. I am a good smartphone user who tries the apps and gives trust to developers who deserve it.
I have tried almost all facebook apps on the marketplace and (for example) there is no one (including the official one) that let you post a picture on a page that you own. And this is not the only problem (why can't I tag a friend in a sentence when I write a status?).

So please, i'm not reporting you the opinion of other, but my personal one.

Also, i don't need facebook home on my Lumia920, this was just a question because I'm curious to hear the other opinion about this.

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
By the way, I do not think that anyone wants his homescreen to have ads. They asked Zuckerberg if there will be ads and he replied "yup". I cannot imagine my phone with the Facebook Home and yes it is not needed. However, some people might like to have the option to install it. Having options is not the same as being forced to use it. You can always reject an option.
Of course you'll put up with ads in your Facebook Home | Android Central

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey, don't judge me if you don't know me. I am a good smartphone user who tries the apps and gives trust to developers who deserve it.
I have tried almost all facebook apps on the marketplace and (for example) there is no one (including the official one) that let you post a picture on a page that you own. And this is not the only problem (why can't I tag a friend in a sentence when I write a status?).

So please, i'm not reporting you the opinion of other, but my personal one.

Also, i don't need facebook home on my Lumia920, this was just a question because I'm curious to hear the other opinion about this.
Not judging you at all...please don't take it that way. By the way, you can do everything you just mentioned with FB Next 😊

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I complain a lot about missing features in WP, but I see no reason to have something like Facebook Home in it. I am a rather prolific Facebook user, and WP is excellent for this already.
The FB integration already in WP seems to do all that FB Home does. I mean, we have contacts integrated into the phone, as well as pictures, etc. I saw little useful in FB that WP doesn't already mostly do.

If you use the integrated contacts and pictures in FB along with touch.facebook.com in the browser, I see no functionality that isn't there.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I do not think so. The Facebook Home is a launcher just like any other launcher for the android OS. Since Microsoft does not allow any customization on their OS i do not think it will happen anytime soon. Yesterday the one thing that they were pointing out all the time was that the android OS is so open you can do whatever you want which makes me believe that Facebook Home will not even be in Apple store for Iphones.

Facebook Home more likely to come to Windows Phone than iOS, according to Mark Zuckerberg | Windows Phone Daily

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Such a lack of imagination in the rush to bash FB (ironic as this is what happens to WP w fanboys then rushing in to defend it). Its not as if we dont have ads in WP apps already but ignoring that, WP could be the best OS to have FB Home on. Or rather a FB Hub version (whatever happened to MS's vision of devs creating their own hubs on WP?) which would then link with the builtin FB integration to become the default handler for any FB items rather than opening a webpage. And with a Modern design it would be the best looking FB implementation. But lets just keep bashing FB and forget how something like this could be a plus for WP....

Ultimateone beat me to it, exactly what I thought could happen, open minded people will see this as a plus not a negative for WP.

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It's not saying that is coming. It says that there are more chances according to Zuckerberg to come to windows phones than iphones. Then why are they not building an official facebook application for windows phone? Why would Microsoft allow the Facebook Home to be in their system? I do not find any reason why they would do such thing since windows phone does a lot of things that the Facebook Home will do. A better integration of the facebook would be great! A hub would be nice but i believe that since we already have the people hub, improved integration of the facebook would be better.

@theefman
Surely, some people will like the idea to have the Home on windows phone. Personally, I would never use it. I am not that much into facebook. Also, I said that having options is not bad. It is better than not having them. As I said before you can reject or accept anytime an option you are given unless you are forced to have it.

Last edited:

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not technical possible to make a facebook home for wp or ios. And it will not be. Both apple and ms care too much about consistency and security to allow such a thing to happened.

As for adds I don't think it really matters who serves you add google or facebook. But I believe the adds facebook will serve will be more insidious than people think. And more effective than we believe at this moment. Acting as a launcher means always running and always displaying. I'm sure in 6 month we will see adds that some may even find useful. As a launcher the home can cache locations (not have to use the gps just cache the last location broadcast by the tower or find by Wi-Fi if you have it on or even make a short request for a gps location once 30 minutes or so without impacting the battery in a significant way). Now facebook can serve you ads that are tailored to you and to your position something that google would have done in the future anyway I just think facebook will be able to beat them to it. So next time you receive a notification with an add will be when you will get by a shop in your immediate proximity selling you discounted food or books or whatever that facebook knows that you like. Serving ads to users in this way may even appeal to them. Now you move around the city and you get a message(add) telling you that you get a half price pizza on the place 100 meters in front of you. Most will be tempted by this and will actually appreciate it.

While I don't want adds at all not in a home screen launcher not in any apps I do think this way of serving adds will be quite successful for everyone(facebook and user). As a simple app you can only serve adds while your app is running and display them on screen. They are irritating and users got somehow tired of them. You can also spam users with notifications containing adds but those are also not very effective. As a home launcher you can display them in a more appealing way and you can actually make them useful to the user. Shops will start investing in gps adds and advertise to you when you are in their vicinity or will advertise to you for even greater discount when they sense you are approaching a rival establishment. The price reductions you get can appeal to a large number of people.

Bottom line I don't think that if facebook plays this right they will drive users away with their adds. I think they will bring more value to the users this way.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I can answer that. The problem is the official Facebook app doesn't match either the website or any of the official apps on Android or iOS. Things are out of order, things show up on the WP app that are normally hidden on the other apps or the web page. A lot of the time my Windows Phone feed is slammed full of game requests and crap.. things I've hidden on Facebook. Same thing applies to the 'Me' tile... things are just not in the right order or are missing.

If Windows Phone is your only device, then you probably will never notice it. But for something who is always using different phones or devices, it's very noticable. I'm assuming because it's not an official Facebook made app, that Microsoft doesn't have access to the right APIs or something. I just use touch.facebook.com when I'm using WP.

It's not the end of the world by any means, just letting you know my thoughts. :)

EDIT: I just noticed a new version came out a few days ago.. I'll check that out.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Went and got this one. You're right.....it's great! I was using FB Pro, but this (FB Next) is MUCH better! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss