My sad experience at a Verizon store today

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I waltzed into a Verizon store today looking to port my number back to Verizon from AT&T due to coverage issues.

When the rep asked me what phone I wanted to get, I told him I had an iPhone 5 on AT&T and was thinking of getting one of the Windows Phone 8 phones. He simply looked at me and said "Those Windows phones are terrible. I never recommend them to anyone. Get the iPhone 5".

Needless to say, I'm still very shocked.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So what did you say? Did you get the phone you wanted?
Of course I got the phone I wanted. I was just disturbed that he was so quick to write off the Windows Phone 8 platform without giving it a fair chance. Imagine the number of people he says that to daily. At least let people make up their minds themselves.

Someguyfromla

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar experience. When one of my friends was shopping for a new phone at a Verizon store I was looking around while waiting for him and I saw a lady asking about the 8x. The rep was pretty much trying to talk her out of it so I chimed in by pulling out my phone and showing it to her. She asked me a few questions about it and ended up buying it.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
This problem occurs in India too. I've visited a couple of electronics strores and asked abt the 8x and 820. The sales rep actually told me that windows phone is "very complicated" and I should take an android. When I asked how it was complicated, he started showing me how android works! I then pulled out my L800 n told him how easy it was. I think MSFT should look into this and do some serious damage control, and come up with good marketing strategies.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
This problem occurs in India too. I've visited a couple of electronics strores and asked abt the 8x and 820. The sales rep actually told me that windows phone is "very complicated" and I should take an android. When I asked how it was complicated, he started showing me how android works! I then pulled out my L800 n told him how easy it was. I think MSFT should look into this and do some serious damage control, and come up with good marketing strategies.
Its not because WP is complicated or anything.

If they sell android devices , they get commission.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Almost the same happend to me but not at Verizon.
I choosed HTC 8S at store and he said "That's a great phone, but it has horrible OS, with android it would be so much better", that almost changed my mind of buying WP8 phone, aswell wanted to swear at him...

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't be so quick to write off the 8X and perhaps L822 as well. The 8X is a solid phone.
Based on hardware the 8X is a solid phone. Based on the kind of software support HTC has compared to what Nokia offers, I wouldn't even consider an HTC based Windows Phone, let alone buy it, and any well advised person would do the same.
As for L822, based on what the Verizon rep said it seemed as if the OP was shopping for a phone in that price range. And L822 just doesn't compare to an iPhone 5, regardless of OS preferences.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This has to do that Verizon, AT&T have to sell agreed quantities to get the iPhone5, they pay a penalty for every iPhone they don't sell. This has nothing to do with a free market. But the problem starts with locked phones and consumers that believe that they can buy a good smartphone for $99.- or get it for free.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Based on hardware the 8X is a solid phone. Based on the kind of software support HTC has compared to what Nokia offers, I wouldn't even consider an HTC based Windows Phone, let alone buy it, and any well advised person would do the same.
As for L822, based on what the Verizon rep said it seemed as if the OP was shopping for a phone in that price range. And L822 just doesn't compare to an iPhone 5, regardless of OS preferences.

I disagree with you, the 822 is a very solid phone that has a nice display, right size I can still use one hand and it has very few problems unlike the 920. There are many users that don't want that brick in there pocket or want the problems that come with it at no extra cost. And yes I think your right that the 822 doesn't compare to the iPhone 5, it's much better" :) but of course we all have opinions.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Its not because WP is complicated or anything.

If they sell android devices , they get commission.

that's exactly my point. I told the salesperson its not complicated. MSFT shld look into the issue of misrepresentation of WP. At neither Croma nor The Mobile Store, was the sales rep able to explain what makes WP "complicated". It wd be hard to do, since the UI is actually awesome.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
How is the 822 terrible? It's the best phone I've used, and I've used my wife's iPhone 4S (the iPhone 5 feels like a cheap toy).

As to these reps, the local corporate store I was in when I activated my 822 had reps that were very fair to the phones. I recounted my experience in another thread, but one of the reps actually steered a group of buyers toward the 822. For those who have a rep that rips on a phone like that, you need to get the manager involved or, at least, let Verizon know the name of the rep and store. They should not be ripping on any of the phones that Verizon sells.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

The areas where the 920 (and the 8X) are better than the 822 is camera and screen. Do you feel the 822 doesn't compare to the iPhone 5 because of the camera and screen or is it other areas?
In regards to the 8X and 822 I've owned both and the 822 gave me more problems the the 8X.

The Verizon store in my area is supportive of Windows Phone. I don't know that they would automatically recommend it over android or iPhone, but they will give it a fair shot.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is a common discussion with bb and WP. I was told by a rep that he had a windows phone it it was a piece of junk and WP was to late to the party. Which is a stupid statement. I guess apple was late to the cell phone party when the iPhone first came out. Anyway, I usually know what I want before I go in and bought the 920 despite his advise. I was right, he was wrong. 920 is an awesome phone, nothing but impressed. Point do your own research.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I waltzed into a Verizon store today looking to port my number back to Verizon from AT&T due to coverage issues.

When the rep asked me what phone I wanted to get, I told him I had an iPhone 5 on AT&T and was thinking of getting one of the Windows Phone 8 phones. He simply looked at me and said "Those Windows phones are terrible. I never recommend them to anyone. Get the iPhone 5".

Needless to say, I'm still very shocked.

Instead of being very shocked you should have asked to see his manager and reported his ***.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The 822 is a darn good phone. I've had mine for almost six months and never had a problem. Is not a flagship model so comparing it to the iPhone 5 it's probably not fair.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty Android and IoS does have a big lead on WP in regard to apps and the quality of those apps. I would have probed that salesperson a bit to find out why they felt the way they do. Also another person here stated the Verzion WP's are not too good. So from that persons perspective they may not be too far off base. I doubt that person could really give a hoot what phone anyone chooses.

Alphageek_UK

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar experience with Carphone Warehouse in the UK. Was talking to one of their telesales agents and he said "No one choose a Windows Phone. The only people who have them are given them by work."

I agree that MS should be educating their retail partners more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs