This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 73
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    What I mean is that you see people with iPhones and androids all the time, but I barely see any WP on the street.. Maybe is a U.S thing only, who knows..

    Thanks in advance for commenting..

    Cheers..
  2. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Marketshare.
  3. ally42's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    I'd say curious people that are bored with iPhone and Android and/or early adopters, rather than geeks.
  4. Kevyn Degia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    183 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    U.S. has a weird love/hate with MS products. I think it will never gain much in the US.
    Fortunately the world isn't only the United States, slowly MS is realizing that. But they have to move faster!
    WP8 can have a great success in countries like Russia and other Eastern European countries, Brazil, China, India, then maybe Western Europe.

    Here in Italy wp marketshare is > 10% (mainly thanks to Nokia). I have seen quite a few people with a Lumia device, from a 14yo school girl, up to a 50ish woman. Unfortunately for people from 20 up to 40 yo it will be never so cool as an iphone
  5. saulgould13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Ney Sayers!.. Haha.. I've noticed in the Northeast US MS/Nok. Is slow to adopt, however in California and the south of US adoption seems to thrive.. Had a convo with sales rep today and we were bantering about this exact topic..
  6. Erickson187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    New England here and huge WP fan. Had the trophy and now the 822 and love it, but might upgrade to a higher end Nokia if it has a removable battery and SD card slot like the 822
  7. saulgould13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Erickson you notice around your area the adoption of Wp? Here in jerz/nyc I see more and more winphones, however slow to adopt.. Weird, however when I was out West I observed many people had winphones and I did see more proactive advertising there, more so than here in the East.
  8. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    562 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Geeks tinker with their phones. WP doesn't allow for much tinkering. Android is a geek's phone, WP is for people who want something new and different from the standard grid-based app launcher.
    Guzzler3 likes this.
  9. icyrock1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    It has to do with the mentality associated with iPhone's and popular android devices. At my high school, iPhone's and Galaxy devices are king. I've seen one person with a WP. A while ago, I was talking with some friends and one of them said (we were talking about track [lol, we got wayyyy off the original topic] and it lead to a person we know who had recently gotten a WP); "Lol, what? He uses a Windows Phone? Why not just get an iPhone?". And it hit me; most of the phone trends of what phones will, and won't sell are based on what there friends get and buy. Since he had an iPhone, he didn't understand why anyone would want anything else. But I think there's more to it than that. People are afraid of change, and leaving what they know. Especially if it is going to cost them $200 on a contract.

    Those that do take the jump, are normally either trend starters or the adventurous ones.

    Just my 2.
    WPenvy likes this.
  10. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Well I am 61 and Wgile I dont think of myself as a geek I have geeky tendencies and a NL 920 and a 900
  11. saulgould13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Cameradork, I c your point and its valid.. Some folks like to tinker, however the majority of people have things going on in their lives so at the end of a business day the last thing one wants is to tinker or configure, I fall somewhere in the middle I just want it to work and the WP is on its way there..
  12. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Marketshare.
    More like "mindshare"
    Tony_Offends_U likes this.
  13. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    Geeks tinker with their phones. WP doesn't allow for much tinkering. Android is a geek's phone, WP is for people who want something new and different from the standard grid-based app launcher.
    Not all of us.. I like to tinker, but with my laptop.. Have Linux and W8.. I like something that works for my phone since I use it for most of the day..
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  14. gerzhwin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I chose WP -- for whatever reason: device design, compatibility, fresh and individual UI experience. Until Thursday I was using webOS and there isnt another mobile OS (out at the moment) which could compete against it in means of multi-tasking and intuitiveness.

    I knew the capabilities of WP and therefore if it fits my needs BEFORE I bought my 8X. If people don't bother about this, I don't know what to call them -- I call myself an individualist.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
  15. jdriscoll636's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    I'll tell you my storey, I'm 29 and live in central New York. I had been using android since cup cake, and my sprint contract was about to be up. I had for months been looking for a new phone to upgrade to. So when black Friday hit, I got myself a gs3. I had it for a week, and I liked it at first, but because of the network and constant roaming I returned the phone and jumped ship to Verizon. While at Verizon I had a note 2, the network was good, but I was constantly worried about my data cap. So I played with the note 2 for 10 days, and after an error with my pay check I returned the phone. Now at this point I had known about NL 920 since its announcement and had wanted one. I was just worried that there would be no apps for the os, and I would be wasting my money. Well after fixing the error with my paycheck, I just bit the bullet and got the NL920. I went through 2 high end android phones, and was not fully happy with either. I love my NL920, I can't say enough about it. I don't think I will ever go back to android, and I've talked my mother in law into switching.
    Muessig and Blu3V3nom07 like this.
  16. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    562 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnbs View Post
    Not all of us.. I like to tinker, but with my laptop.. Have Linux and W8.. I like something that works for my phone since I use it for most of the day..
    Quote Originally Posted by saulgould13 View Post
    Cameradork, I c your point and its valid.. Some folks like to tinker, however the majority of people have things going on in their lives so at the end of a business day the last thing one wants is to tinker or configure, I fall somewhere in the middle I just want it to work and the WP is on its way there..
    Yeah, I guess my post came out wrong. The OP asked if only geeks have Windows Phones. I was just trying to say that Windows phone is not targeted at geeks' geekiness (like Android) because it lacks the ability to easily get your hands dirty with the OS. It's targeted at a broad audience - lots of different types of people have WPs. If geeks use it, it's not because it's a geeky phone, it's for the same reasons that it appeals to non-geeks - it's pretty, smooth, different, and works really well.

    Make sense?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  17. Erickson187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by saulgould13 View Post
    Erickson you notice around your area the adoption of Wp? Here in jerz/nyc I see more and more winphones, however slow to adopt.. Weird, however when I was out West I observed many people had winphones and I did see more proactive advertising there, more so than here in the East.
    I do,t really see many of them. Some of the people at my work I have showed mine have been impressed a,d some are on IOS and have said wow your apps look nice, one even got the 822. They had issues with their battery and Verizon wouldn't do anything about it so she went back to her iPhone but uses the 822 as a music player still.
  18. absonj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Heaven knows I'm not a "geek". I don't know code, hacking, or what NT or anything else like that. I cam easily use a computer, but that's it.

    Now, I have unlocked my old Imagio running CE, and rooted my old TB running android. But only with a ton of help.

    With that said, I can honestly say if they develop a way to give us rights on this phone, I WON'T be using it!
    Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express
  19. saulgould13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    Yeah, I guess my post came out wrong. The OP asked if only geeks have Windows Phones. I was just trying to say that Windows phone is not targeted at geeks' geekiness (like Android) because it lacks the ability to easily get your hands dirty with the OS. It's targeted at a broad audience - lots of different types of people have WPs. If geeks use it, it's not because it's a geeky phone, it's for the same reasons that it appeals to non-geeks - it's pretty, smooth, different, and works really well.

    Make sense?
  20. saulgould13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Well alright..
  21. joelsilva's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    I'm from portugal, 22yo and i love winphone, i'm an apple addicted, i had all iPhone's generation, i have a macbook, an imac an ipad an ipod and so on, but winphone is brilliant! I like Windows RT too, but i can't use windows desktop, i just prefeer mac osx on laptops.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  22. WanderingTraveler's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,997 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Where I live, there are several reasons: crazy low-end Android phones (they're better than your Windows Phone hurr durr), iPhones (iPhones are the best phones evah hurr durr), and the name "Windows" (Windows is s*** hurr durr).
    cameradork likes this.
  23. Omar Zak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    only cool geeks here in jordan are holding WP mobiles ....
    its not everyones phone ... :D
  24. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    More and more I'm seeing my (definitely non-geek) Facebook friends post "from Windows Phone." A few months ago, in Ikea, I seen two older ladies, both with HTC Titan II's. Two days ago I hears that all-too-unique Nokia email sound in a restaurant. I see what you're saying but it is changing.
  25. JamesDax's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    748 Posts
    Global Posts
    749 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    It's just you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 05:28 AM
  2. Is it just me, or is this camera horrible?
    By Ethere in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
  3. Is it just me or is there really nothing good being rumored on verizon
    By malachijd in forum Upcoming & Rumored Windows Phones
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
  4. Is it just me or does anyone else get tired of WP bashing?
    By baseballbert in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

";