Physical Keyboard

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In today's climate, thin is in. To have a thin phone with a physical kb, you'll lose screen size. Throw in a slider of any kind and you get a thick phone. The Dell was a wonderful device with a beautiful screen and a superb kb, but it had some shortcomings. Those of us old enough to remember Palm Treos are probably the ones who miss keyboards more than anybody else. With the new-found love affair with the stylus, we can only hope that keyboards make a comeback as well.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
We need Apple to invent the stylus, and the physical (actual) keyboard (like they did windows (Zerox), the tablet, and the up coming watch), then we can have a physical keyboard.

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
i would love one...but a cheap one is want i want...maybe like what bb is doing with the bb10 curve type devices...but again i love wp8 over bb10 so i wont consider that anyways

SparksinTexas

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It broke my heart to give up my HTC TouchPro2 keyboard. Windows phones are for work and need larger screens and slideout keyboards with dedicated number keys.

Jeffrey Morse

May 16, 2013
Visit site
make a WP8 phone with a keyboard at least as good as my Droid 4 and get Amazon Cloud Player on WP8 and I would go up to the store and get that phone today.

Ileana DU

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Yes! Yes!

What's the point of having Word, Excel, etc. capacity if part of your screen is lost when you have to type?

Yes, please!

It doesn't have to be ultra thin. The Droid ones that have a slide out qwerty are fine.

jsbornino

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Still using my LG Quantum w/wp7 because I need the physical keyboard (preferably slide out). Will not be going to WP8 until someone makes one. Rumors that Acer was working on one appear to be false per statement by Acer exec yesterday that they are holding off on a WP until adaptation picks up, mostly due to the well know issue of LIMITED APPS! As a business user, I'm tempted to go back to Blackberry. Microsoft and their hardware vendors are really missing the opportunity to make major strides in the business community by assuming we are all willing to tolerate touch screen keyboards. An otherwise great phone OS is suffering due to lack of keyboard and apps. Someone with business savvy needs to wake up and address this neglected market segment!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Having come from several sliders in a row (Sprint Mogul, Verizon Touch Pro, Verizon Touch Pro II), I thought I would hate the touch screen keyboard, but I believe I can type faster on it than the physical. That said, I still wouldn't mind a keyboard, but I don't think I'd buy a phone just for that. At this point, having a 928, it would have to have everything the 928 has AND a keyboard to get me to switch for the keyboard. This phone is just too good.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason why nobody is making physical keyboard devices. Just not enough market interest given the additional costs invloved.

sth2r

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
The Blackberry Q10 will probably be the last phone made this decade with a physical keyboard. Lets check their numbers and see how its going... $89m in losses. Yeah, I'd go ahead and get used to all touch keyboards.

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
BIG yes for me. I hadn't bought a new phone in a long time whilst I waited for a decent slim qwerty phone. It never came, and I resorted to using my company BlackBerry instead (purely for the keyboard, phone itself was rubbish). I too also prefer slide-out keyboards in order to preserve screen real estate.

What I hate most is the argument that the market for physical keyboards is "too small". Its flawed thinking, a false causality - people buy more touchscreen phones, and people buy less hardware qwerty phones. That is true, but it does not mean one factor has caused the other - the two concepts are mutually independent of each other. It also does not mean the number of consumers who want hardware keyboards is actually any smaller than it was 5 years ago, it just means they are choosing to buy something else instead. The question is, why are they choosing to buy something else...?

The fact is, it is because of the manufacturers themselves:
- Manufacturers drastically dropped the number of hardware keyboard/keypad phones they were manufacturing after the introduction of the iPhone
- Manufacturers tended to create hardware keypad phones as low or mid-range devices
- Manfucaturers focused on innovating in software & hardware aestetics, rather than the hardware itself

What is the reason for them doing the above? It probably all comes down to cost (and hence there being a "small market" for hardware keypads is just an excuse). It is cheaper and easier for them to focus on developing just touchscreen-only phones and innovative software, than it is to develop both touchscreen-only AND hybrid phones.

Simply, there have been almost NO high-end qwerty phones in the last 4 years, and the very few that have had qwerty's have often been far too heavy/bulky. Think for a moment about how much money Sony or Samsung have spent on innovation (S voice, mobile bravia, gesture controls, NFC etc) which they can apply across their portfolio of products (mobiles, TV, hifis etc). If they had spent even a small portion of that money trying to develop slimline physical keyboards for mobiles (whilst ensuring the phone itself was "high end" device), I have no doubt they would see much higher sales of these devices.

On a side note, another massive bug bear with WP8... you can only use their keyboard!! Its as closed and narrow-minded as Apple/iPhone. Swype's keyboard has broken world records for txting speed, yet Microsoft still refuse to let people pick their keyboard of choice... ridiculous. Could you imagine them saying people had to buy a microsoft-only keyboard for their PC or laptop!?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll never get another phone with a physical keyboard for as long as I live. The onscreen keyboard is SOO much more flexible than any physical keyboard will ever be and much faster to type on. My phone being much thinner is just icing on the cake!

And WP keyboard is awesome, should they allow the user to pick? sure but my choice would still be the WP keyboard! lol

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll never get another phone with a physical keyboard for as long as I live. The onscreen keyboard is SOO much more flexible than any physical keyboard will ever be and much faster to type on. My phone being much thinner is just icing on the cake!

And WP keyboard is awesome, should they allow the user to pick? sure but my choice would still be the WP keyboard! lol

Hahah you will probably not be the only one! I still do not have a WP yet, I have only tried in-store and to be honest, the WP keyboard was really good! It virtually typed out my whole sentence for me, just be hitting the first letter of each word! But there are so many die-hard swype and swiftkey fans out there, that I would still want to try them, and I'm amazed MS don't open up the API if for no other reason than to attract a few more customers...

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else wish a company would make a phone with a keyboard and windows phone 8?

More definitely - I'd be all over a landscape slider with a 4" to 4.5" screen.

I personally think manufacturers are missing the boat by not offering more physical keyboard smartphones. A big part of the reason why people turned away from them IMO is because pre-Blackberry 10 devices were terrible (in terms of requiring battery pulls, reboots when installing/updating apps, etc.) and pre-Android 4.x devices were almost as bad with their extreme lag. Apple doesn't make them because Tim Cook is a supply chain guy, but that doesn't mean some other manufacturer can't make them.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

You must not use office then. Really sucks using Excel and not being able to see any of the cells because the keyboard covers the whole screen.
I want a keyboard but Microsoft needs to let the key board navigate like Windows Mobile 6.5. My Arrive key board will not allow me to navigate in Excel, I still have to get out my callused up finger to try and poke the tiny cell as the arrows will not work when editing to move between cells.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss