Looking to return to WP from Android...need advice

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi WP community,

I've been watching this site for a few years now and finally decided to signup for discussion as I'm at a fork in the road. Here's my mobile phone story, I'll skip right to the Smartphone era.

Canadian here, was blown away by the iPhone when it first released and got a iPhone 3G a year after it released it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, compared to Blackberry (I have one for work, used multiple models and just dont like them for browsing) it was a breathe of fresh air and impressed with all the applications and ease of use. A well built phone i dropped multiple times and withstood the beatings it took, I'm not an Apple fan at all but give credit to their older iPod/iPhone models for durability. However, after 2 years the UI got very boring and I was avaliable for HW upgrade...so it was between Android and WP.

After some deliberation i decided to go with the Samsung focus (original) and LOVED IT. Even after almost 2 years i adored the phone, although he had some bugs (the last few months when browsing it would reboot my phone). It all ended at a party when i had a drunk guy handle my phone to hear a song, dropped it on the ground and badly cracked the screen. Considering the constant reboots and cost of replacing the screen, i just decided to get a new phone.

All the rave over Android and S3, i managed to have my phone provider sell me a GS3 at cheap (around $200 for a 1 day used device). I didn't renew my contract so i'm avaliable still to take advantage. Although the phone has a nice bright screen, i'm not a fan of the size (i have pretty big hands and still consider it a pain to hold), but more importantly i don't care for the OS. I personally find it laggy at times (especially when browsing), its too open source (i dont enjoy having to constantly kill processes) for me and other minor annoyances with the design. Its a very good phone, but it's just not for me...i personally find it overrated. It's also got a slight crack, it dropped from a very short distance. ya, im a little clumsy.

I've watched MANY comparison videos with iPhone5 (my wife has this one, i would not get another one...UI is just too bland), GS3, Lumia 920, 8X. I want to return to WP, even after using the GS3 for almost a year i really miss Windows. I still turn on my old Samsung Focus once in a while to check and see if i enjoy it...i thoroughly do, much more than Android (i also have a Nexus 7, gift from wife).

Its between the Lumia and 8X, however im not sure if i should wait a few months for a newer model? I'm with Rogers so i have a good selection of phones to chose from.

HW:
- Durable!!! i do not want to use a case, hence why Lumia 920 came up. Its as big as my GS3 with its Otterbox case (case was off when i dropped it)
- Battery life length, prefer longer over say screen resolution or large number of background processes
- I prefer a smaller screen, L720 caught my eye as well. However, i can deal with the 4.5" if i dont need a case on it.

What i use it for:
- Surfing the net
- Email
- Music
- Maps
- some games but apps arent a deal breaker...browsing speed and ease of use is more important to me than hundreds of useless apps. I have 50 or 60 apps downloaded on my S3 but only use maybe 3-4 LOL.

I keep reading many problems with both L920 and 8X...is it a good time to go back to windows or should i wait?

Sorry about the LONG post, i want to make the right choice and im very certain WP is the correct one for me...just need user feedback.

Aprpeciated!!!:)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
If you are here or any other forum for a while you will hear of problems because most people with issues will come looking for help. I have had a focus (great device my son in law is using it after his surround bit the dust) a900 and 920. Had a few minor issues with the 900 and none to speak of so far with the 920. The 920 if you're on a GSM carrier is a great device I would recommend it. It will be upgradeable I have portico and the newest firmware 1308 and have no issues. You could get it now or wait for to see what the next gen devices will be like and get one of them or wait until the holiday season and check out the following generation devices. Unless something really wows me with the next gen Ill stick with the 920 (bought off contract on eBay which is mostly how I have bought my smartphones since the Treo 600)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the input. Yes my carrier has GSM, its the only Canadian provider that sells L920 exclusively here so maybe thats why.

Im waiting to see what the big deal is with the L928...it looks identical to L920 so not sure if its worth waiting for.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the input. Yes my carrier has GSM, its the only Canadian provider that sells L920 exclusively here so maybe thats why.

Im waiting to see what the big deal is with the L928...it looks identical to L920 so not sure if its worth waiting for.

Nearly identical except that it is lighter, thinner, and has a better flash...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey chezm, welcome to the WPCentral Forum community!

As far as the phone goes it's really down to personal preferences. As has already been said you're really looking in the wrong place if you want to find success stories with any phone - people come to forums to complain especially if they have problems/issues with their phones to try to solve them. But you just have to look at the odd positive threads wherever they pop up, the general consensus and so on over the internet.

HTC 8X phones are known for their beauty and the way they truly do feel amazing in the hand and are really responsive and reliable, as you'll find with most WP8 phones. There have been some issues with the coating on the outside of the case discolouring but all in all not too bad. My experience with HTC is that they make good phones that last but generally don't expect too much support from them. I

've currently got a Lumia 920 and it's hands down the most durable, quickest and most reliable phone I've ever owned. I regularly make the phone last 2-4 days with middling to light use and with heavy use I have at least 30% battery at the end of a full day of using the phone the most I possibly could. General consensus with both phones are that they will last a day of heavy use and that's all you can really ask for. The sheer amount of game-changing apps from Nokia and the support I've received from them since my purchase have never made me look back, though. From Nokia Music to the navigation software to the customer support itself and the frequent firmware/camera updates I've never had a better post-purchase experience.

I hope some of this has helped you in some way and I hope to see you around the forums more in the days/weeks/months to come!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey chezm, welcome to the WPCentral Forum community!

As far as the phone goes it's really down to personal preferences. As has already been said you're really looking in the wrong place if you want to find success stories with any phone - people come to forums to complain especially if they have problems/issues with their phones to try to solve them. But you just have to look at the odd positive threads wherever they pop up, the general consensus and so on over the internet.

HTC 8X phones are known for their beauty and the way they truly do feel amazing in the hand and are really responsive and reliable, as you'll find with most WP8 phones. There have been some issues with the coating on the outside of the case discolouring but all in all not too bad. My experience with HTC is that they make good phones that last but generally don't expect too much support from them. I

've currently got a Lumia 920 and it's hands down the most durable, quickest and most reliable phone I've ever owned. I regularly make the phone last 2-4 days with middling to light use and with heavy use I have at least 30% battery at the end of a full day of using the phone the most I possibly could. General consensus with both phones are that they will last a day of heavy use and that's all you can really ask for. The sheer amount of game-changing apps from Nokia and the support I've received from them since my purchase have never made me look back, though. From Nokia Music to the navigation software to the customer support itself and the frequent firmware/camera updates I've never had a better post-purchase experience.

I hope some of this has helped you in some way and I hope to see you around the forums more in the days/weeks/months to come!

Hi Muessig,

Thanks so much for the feedback i really appreciate it. Just to be clear, im not solely focusing on the negative threads but the positive ones as well. I read and am involved in many other discussion boards, I am familiar with the notion that this is a place to search for assistance with issues more than say brag about how great products are.

With that said, you have helped identify an answer to question i didn't raise: Support. With Samsung, when my Focus screen cracked Rogers (my provider) covered the cost of replacement but the phone had to be sent to Samsung for repair, i was told 2 weeks which i could deal with. 6 Weeks later and multiple calls from Rogers to Samsung, we never received a response on my devices status/ETA return. On the Seventh week I was done and asked to get the deal on an S3, at that time Rogers cancelled my Focus repair. The device was sent back to me...5 months later!! Anyway, its nice to know Nokia was good to you...bonus points for sure.

I have briefly used both the 920 and 8X, but i wanted long term user feedback (hence why review videos only give initial impressions more than anything). I like the feel of the 8X more than 920, however the durable build and past (10 years old) Nokia devices i had give me confidence in their products.

You're correct, it all boils down to personal preference. I have an iPod for music, so the BeatsAudio is not a selling point for me. Im starting to lean more towards the Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven