How many people have you converted to WP so far?

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've converted people by giving them my older handsets. gave my friend a lumia 710, gave my other friend a lumia 900 and got my brother a new contract with the htc 8s. im sure we've all converted people if they see our phones in the street, or the bus, or anywhere out in public too!

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i've converted myself after 6-7 months using Android...i had this 2011 low-end device and despite being updated to ICS, the screen was starting to feel too small (3") and i was getting sick of Android and all the lag, force closes...that's when i found Lumia 620 while looking for a new phone and just thought "yeps, this is my next phone!"
couldn't have made a better choice <3 the device is lovely, doesen't even feel i'm using a budget phone! also i love WP8 and how it runs smooth even on low specs!

i'm trying to convince a close friend to convert :) imma do my best!
unfortunately my classes only start in september so i'll have to wait a bit longer to show off my Lumia...but perhaps that's better, till then i'll have my colorful shells (my 620 is black) and WP will have improved a lot more hopefuly and many new apps can appear so it will be easier to convert ;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I converted myself, twice actually, but I switched back to Android both times! The first time I tried was a Lumia 710, but the app shortage made the phone useless to me. The second time I actually had a Lumia 920, but the app shortage combined with the immature OS sent me back. I'm open to trying again sometime down the road when WP matures.

I haven't converted anyone else. I make it a point to NOT convert people to a different OS than what they're currently using. I'm afraid I would be blamed for any issues they would have, and anyone switching to WP8 from iOS or Android is likely to be unhappy with the lack of apps.

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I converted 4 people to WP so far. All my best friends. One from the Galaxy S to Lumia 520, iPhone 4 to Lumia 920 and Galaxy S advance to HTC 8X. One more from iPhone 4S to ATIV S. My self I am using Lumia 920

wow, 4 people in a row? I have only converted 1 friend, so far, but there are some of my friends attracted to the simple design made by Windows Phone. So, I'll wait for 'em. LOL

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I converted myself, twice actually, but I switched back to Android both times! The first time I tried was a Lumia 710, but the app shortage made the phone useless to me. The second time I actually had a Lumia 920, but the app shortage combined with the immature OS sent me back. I'm open to trying again sometime down the road when WP matures.

I haven't converted anyone else. I make it a point to NOT convert people to a different OS than what they're currently using. I'm afraid I would be blamed for any issues they would have, and anyone switching to WP8 from iOS or Android is likely to be unhappy with the lack of apps.

Lack of the app isn't the reason -- I think -- for people to switch, but it's about the quality of the apps.
But, I'm curious of what you mean about 'shortage', is that something about the short-circuit problem, or, maybe, about its (the device) age?

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

An Android user calls wp immature. What are you doing here? You should've been searching for the updates that bring more copy feature from other OS'es. I haven't seen any OS more immature than Android.
Also Android apps suck. Nasty design (if you can call it "design")

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Technically 8 people, but they bought 12 windows phones, as some got an upgrade. :)

I'll list the phones of which they bought. I'll include my self in these.

Grandma: Dell Venue Pro, Nokia Lumia 920

Grandpa: Dell Venue Pro (I'm making him wait for the next lumia flagship)

Friend: HTC Trophy, soon Nokia Lumia 928

Friend's Husband: Nokia Lumia 900

Dad: Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 920

Mom: Nokia Lumia 920

Brother: Nokia Lumia 920 (then went back to the 4S, returned the 920)

Me: Dell Venue Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 920

Soon to be 19 phones and 11 people, as my Friend, Friend's Husband, Grandpa, hopefully my brother and sister, hopefully my Cousin, and me again if the next flagship is good.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
3 and counting, one of them got a Lumia 800 because they were a loyal Nokia customer, another form android being my sister, fed up of it lagging and restarting ect and another one coming from a Blackberry - nuff said.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
None. I have impressed quite a few. I have found that familiarity is a hard thing to over come. I will continue showing off my 920 because it is bad azz. I have no problems putting it up against my friends androids or apples, it does real good...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Lack of the app isn't the reason -- I think -- for people to switch, but it's about the quality of the apps.
But, I'm curious of what you mean about 'shortage', is that something about the short-circuit problem, or, maybe, about its (the device) age?

WP8 is improving in app selection, such as some big name ones like Spotify & Pandora now being available. And more keep coming. But I missed apps such as Torque, Flipboard, and MLB At Bat. That's what I mean by "app shortage." Those 3 apps and about 600,000 more are missing! And even though Facebook, YouTube, and Reddit apps are available, I found app quality very poor. Metrotube was good, but not free, and not any better than the 1st party YouTube apps on iOS and Android. The Microsoft YouTube app is simply a shortcut to YouTube's website. I got tired of tapping away to make simple settings changes, such as wifi toggling. To be fair, iOS is still that way, and Android was until a recent update to Jelly Bean (although widgets take care of that problem no matter the OS version). A single volume setting (in WP8) and no way to disable screen orientation are major flaws that shouldn't be present in any OS that wants to "run with the big dogs." Probably the single biggest thing I missed was Google Now.

If someone asked me for advice, and all they wanted to do was call, text, and browse, I would likely recommend WP because its basic functionality and the simple UI make it easy to use. But it's the reasons above why I wouldn't recommend WP to anyone now using iPhone or Android. WP aside, I wouldn't even try to convince anyone using iPhone or Android to switch to the other.

For the record, I use a Nexus 4 as my main phone. I carry 2 phones, and I switch devices for my 2nd phone. I had a Lumia 920 for awhile, but traded it for an iPhone 5, which I use currently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3