How many people have you converted to WP so far?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten a few people to make the "switch" but, my biggest challange was my wife, who is a diehard iPhone person. I failed..and I love WP but, I agree on her issues...

I kind of pushed her to get a Lumia 928 and made her hold on to for at least one week if she didn't like it.

She didn't like it at first but, seemed to like the OS. She had issues witht the apps, like facebook, could not post on some's wall (even with the beta) or even the Shutterfly app, could not upload more than one picture at a time. I could go through a list of apps that were lacking features from the iPhone app....

It was not just those apps, It was local apps, like our TV station app, the local store app, a radio station app, they all have iPhone, Android and even half of them has black berry apps but, Windows Phone, what's that ?

And the final straw was, Verizon Disabled group texting on all Windows Phone 8 devices...and after dealing with that for a week(she uses texting a lot), she went back to her iPhone and returned the 928.... Thanks Verizon !

I love WP...and 1/2 the apps she uses, I never have touched before but, all these issues bother me time to time but, the group texting from verizon...really bothers me

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
added another recently my mum is now on Windows Phone 8 and thinks its great, also i am looking at buying myself a backup handset very soon, and maybe one for home use too..also been spreading the word all over the place so probably quite few more converts over the last few months..

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Ha, my brother wanted a AtivS, told him to buy only Nokia if WP.
Then i told him to wait for the 8.1 update because many things were missing in WP8.
So he still uses his old Droid...

converting friends seems impossible because:
1. They have iPhone
2. They think Nokia is crap and M$ is ultracrap
3. They dont even know the difference between the mobil OS and just want the same phone that their friends have (so iphone and Samsung)

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
converting friends seems impossible because:
1. They have iPhone
2. They think Nokia is crap and M$ is ultracrap
3. They dont even know the difference between the mobil OS and just want the same phone that their friends have (so iphone and Samsung)
exactly this^, most people I know hate windows and make fun of Nokia, they either get an iphone or s4 and all other phones are crap

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
and I know quite a few people who have had galaxy's both S3 & S4 that have broken mainly the screens very poorly made and easily broken not even dropping it and both Android and IOS are pretty dated in style and will be left behind with windows phone in the future we don't want gimmicks we want something secure and reliable and I believe that is Windows Phone...and your point is valid but until everyone has had a proper opportunity to use a Windows Phone how can they really judge it, people need to experience it for themselves not by listening to the tech press online some of them haven't given windows phone a fair chance,

My phone is an 820 and is a really solid phone, my mum's is a Lumia 520 and my friends have the Lumia 820, everyone I know is impressed with the apps and platform so far, my brother has a Nokia Lumia 920 and swears by it, he is really pleased with it and has had it since November 2012..it has never let him down, he has also done a mass of time lapse vids, uses it out at party's etc...

I think we as people who do know the benefits of this phone should spread that word, each person's experience will be different but a lot of people do see the benefit's of Windows Phone...everyone knows that the main issue is getting a few more apps to secure that position we have as the fastest growing smartphone platform....I personally am impressed with how far its come whilst battling for acceptance first before people get to see the merits of the Windows Phone...

Last edited:

anon(8547461)

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Converted my wife to a 1520. She has converted two of her co-workers from her work IT department. Also has another friend on the fence. One of my co-workers loves my 1520, so he's looking into the Icon (Verizon customer). Had quite a few people comment positively on the phone.

Yancy

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Within the next few weeks i should have my spare lumia 520 for me and a spare lumia 520 for my mum, going to go for green one's this time quite a unique colour i think also I want to upgrade my main lumia 820 to a 1520 or 1320 :)

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just one. They bought a Lumia 822 and are pretty happy with it. Almost everyone else I know exist within the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field so obviously there is no point in trying to convert them. Another guy I know just got an Samsung S4 mini as his first smartphone and I have to say I like it. It's a nice phone. No one at Verizon even mentioned Windows Phone to him when he was shopping... :unhappy:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
None. My brother considered the Nokia 520 that Metro was offering, but he really wanted a "flashlight" function that uses the camera LED flash. Each to their own.

At this time, T-Metro is offering the 520 for $30 after a $50 purchase and then rebates. But they don't have anything newer in the lineup. Sigh.

I'm running a TM 810 on Metro. You don't even have to get it unlocked.

As I look around at phone options, it's pretty disappointing if you want anything midrange. It's like Nokia and TMO have abandoned that market segment. I'm going to bide my time - and money - and perhaps in a year TMO/Metro will have their voice over LTE 700mhz service up and running. Then, perhaps, I'll upgrade.

When people ask how I like my WP, my response is, "Of all the phones I've owned, it's the the phone that I most love and hate." Meaning, compared to many other phones, Symbian, Android, I never felt so much dichotomy. Some features I so love, other things, "How can they be so stupid, or limit my options?"

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Myself, my girlfriend, my mom, dad, 2 coworkers are looking into them and desperately want them. Two more tried to get but their carrier doesn't have and they don't wanna switch or buy outright. And also countless customers. I work at a staples store and always make a point of pushing the windows phone and devices whenever I can :) people really love them after I'm done talking with them

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
exactly this^, most people I know hate windows and make fun of Nokia, they either get an iphone or s4 and all other phones are crap

I had the same thing with some of my friends. My first windows phone was a 1020 and the reason I picked it was because of the camera and the 64gb storage but I didn't like the big lump on the back so I went with a 925 and gave the 1020 to my wife who loves it.

After getting a white 925 with the idea of swapping the back with my other one I gave it to a few friends to try for a couple of days each and all but one have now swapped over to windows, one got a 920, one got a 925 and the other got a 1520 but the funny thing is is that all their partners have also changed over to windows. Plus they in turn have changed the minds of some others in the right way of thinking.

My mate Michael who got the 1520 changed from an iPhone 4s and he also got a 2520 after having a look at mine.

Both myself and my wife have now changed completely to windows. I got ride of both my Xperia Z1 and my Nexus 7 and got a 2520 for home and a surface rt for work and my wife got rid of here iphone and iPad and got a surface 2

We have both deleted our Gmail accounts and were lucky enough when getting our outlook addresses to be able to have the same as our old Gmail so the only thing to change was the outlook bit.

No going back for us now.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe I just convicend an old friend: We know each other back then from school times, and last summer he suddenly popped up on Facebook and asked for visiting me in Berlin. We had a good chat, sitting outside in the sun, and finally the topic came to smartphones. I was the first person with WP experience, so he asked me a lot and fiddled with my 8X. Since then we are mainly having converations over smartphones and such things on WhatsApp …

Last week he told me that he's going to buy a green L930 as his next daily driver :)

And my wife told me lately "Just choose me a nice looking smartphone, I'm getting bored of my BB Bold9900", so I just have to wait for her contract to finish and she will have a L930 as well, but with the orange back.

I also want a green one.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I will try my best to make my bf switch to WP, BUT he loves Android and specially the Samsung phones Ugh... they're good and all that, but WP is better!

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
just my brother which had a lumia 710 convinced me to get the lumia 820 and also him got that phone as renewal, and well to my mom i got to her a lumia 520 , before had an nokia navigator 6210 till get broken and for a person of 65 years old windows phone is more easier follow the big icons and the keyboard way than Android where the icons are small and intituive use is not considered and even to myself having 30 years old is much easier windows phone than android by exactly same reasons, big icons, can pin anything , and the way of how to do things is easier

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Two so far, but it wasn't so much that I converted them, but rather they liked what they saw when they checked out my phone. Having said that though, they have recently moved on to different platforms.

I might try and get my mum a cheap WP to try and make up for the losses ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism