- 04-15-2013, 11:03 AM #1
So, I've used the search function to find it, but I don't seem to see an answer. (I only looked for about 10 minutes, so it may just be buried deeper)
I've had my Lumia 810 for about a week, and so far I'm loving it. I was nervous about switching from android, but I think I made a good choice.
For the most part, I'm getting used to the new way of doing things, but there are a couple of issues I have.
1. Is there any way to just browse the file folders on the SD card from within the phone itself? I use my phone's SD card as storage for a lot of files (office documents, pdfs, etc.) and I want to be able to just dig through the file folders like in windows explorer. Android did this easily, and I just assumed that windows would let me look at file folders on the phone the way windows lets me look at file folders on the desktop. This just seems like a really odd functionality to be missing, and I'm hoping that I am just overlooking it, or at least there is an app that functions like explorer.
2. Is there a way to change the search button so that it uses a different software. I installed the google search app, because bing just doesn't bring up results I am interested in, but I would like to be able to go straight to it from the search button.
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM #2
- 260 Posts
1. No, WP doesn't have a file explorer in the phone itself yet, you can access music from Music + Videos or Nokia Music, videos in Music + Videos, documents from the office app. (Documents should be on phone memory, and i think documents in sub-folders in "Documents" folders dont show up, also, PDFs wont come up in PDF reader app, you have to open them from office app only)
2. No, search button is bing only. For google you need to use the browser.
- 05-27-2013, 12:30 PM #3
I would desperately like a Windows Explorer app to be able to move files around and keep thing organized. I don't want to have to take the SD card out of the phone on a regular basis.
As far as the Search Engine question goes; one can go to Settings, swipe left to Applications, go to IE and then to Advanced. At this point you will be able to select to use Bing (default (of course)) or Google (glad the choice it there at least!).
The Lumia Storage Checker app may work for some people, doesn't work for my 620 now. I'm hoping for some type of update to allow that to work. It will allow for storage of Nokia offline maps on the SD card! I love offline maps as I don't have a data plan and no one has 100% coverage that would allow for totally reliable navigation.
- 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM #4
Skydrive and Office hub are the closest things you have to any sort of 'file manager' and that's probably all you'll ever have on WP.2. Is there a way to change the search button so that it uses a different software. I installed the google search app, because bing just doesn't bring up results I am interested in, but I would like to be able to go straight to it from the search button.
So aside from the fact that you probably won't find all the apps you had on Android you also get less functions than you're used to. Welcome to WP :)
- 05-28-2013, 07:09 AM #5
From what i've read on a forum, there's a trick for setting "Google" as your default search instead of Bing, if you fiddle with settings.
Settings > System > language + region > Browser & Search language
- Set it to Russian (russia)
Now the search button should open "Google" (Russia) instead of Bing, though the search results will be in English only.
- 06-13-2013, 02:59 AM #6
I have a Nokia Lumia 620, but you should be able to do this on all Windows 8 Phones:
1) Open your IE browser
2) Select "Settings" from the menu.
3) Hit the "Advanced Settings" button.
4) Select "Google" as your default search provider instead of Bing.
- 07-09-2013, 12:50 PM #8
- 07-09-2013, 03:14 PM #10
- 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM #11
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
09-10-2013, 02:28 AM #15
- 107 Posts
Use This APP its awesome,
Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)
Awesome thanks, before using this app I was telling everyone that I cant send Video from my windows phone, but now I can proudly say yes I can send, thanks hats off to the developer, even I can send PDF as well. Now I no more need any file manager
10-29-2013, 01:50 PM #16
- 4 Posts
Im 4 days in to Windows Phone. Coming from android, it's getting harder and harder to adapt to it. Here are two aspects im having trouble with:
1. I connect my Lumia 520 to my PC. The 'Windows Phone app for desktop' works just great: i can store, browse, whatever - but Nokia Suite isnt recognizing the Phone. My phone does not display the option to connect by Nokia Suite when I plug it in the USB. Is there something im missing out here?
[Im running windows7(x86)]
2. I understand i can't browse through the files (read the posts above) but is there any place i can find files that are not common for WP? (not music, videos, pictures, pdfs, .xlsx, .doc... whatever).
Thanks a lot!
10-31-2013, 03:52 AM #19
- 2 Posts
I too just switched from great Android TAB 2 to Nokia Lumia 520.
Tried file manager which doesnt exist and Googling couldn;t answer too :(
Tried Inserting Android SD Card into WP, again I couldn;t browse.
Most of the Google Applications aren't available for Windows Phones, which isn;t that good. I dint like this strategy at all. Rivals are between Google & Windows, why customers suffer. :(
Now, changing to WIndows is a fun in the way that its superb fast but I'm still looking for features of Android, which hangs my TAB too often... :)
Last edited by kreativmaestro; 10-31-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: forgot to subscribe
- 10-31-2013, 04:56 AM #22
To cut a story short, AFAIK, the only apps that could do some of the thing of file manager would be Pocket File Manager but it has a learning curve. What you need to do is:
1. Compress your document into rar
2. Copy the rar into your SD card
3. Copy your rar from SD card to phone memory
4. Unpack your rar.
And if anyone has a better idea, I would love to know and thank you in advance.
- 10-31-2013, 07:44 AM #23
Open IE go to Settings -> Advanced settings -> slide up -> Default search provider -> tap change to Google
- 10-31-2013, 07:51 AM #24
I think we should just leave the file manger thing alone personally. This is Windows Phone, not Android. I understand the pain as I came from Symbian and I understand some people 'need' a file manager, however I don't see this being implemented personally. There are a lot of security issues surrounding this and MS is big on security these days. If anything does come in, expect it to be severally limited compared to Android. Unless they change the whole concept of WP and open the APIs more, there will never be a file manager like you probably want it.
There are so many people on this forum from Android and Symbian going on about this issue. You should have looked into what WP could do prior to coming on board and it's time we let this go. My suggestion is this, give it to WP8.1, if the features you're dying for are not implemented it will be time for you to move on.
That's my take on this.
- By JimiDiGriz in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 5Last Post: 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM
- By TheBeanHimself in forum Nokia Lumia 820Replies: 1Last Post: 09-28-2013, 02:24 AM
- By spacejovi in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 12Last Post: 05-28-2013, 04:49 PM
- By mky4b11 in forum Nokia Lumia 810Replies: 6Last Post: 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
- By shingi_70 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 17Last Post: 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM