Get ready for beta!

Prepare for Halo Wars 2 Blitz Mode beta: Everything you need to know!

One Windows

Microsoft is building a new Windows 10 Shell for PC, Mobile and Xbox

On the Inside

Everything you need to know about the Xbox Insider Program

Beautiful compromises

Surface Studio review: you'll want one, even if you don't need one

3-in-1

Is this the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for foldable devices

Windows Central Offers

MCSE Certification bundle is just $39

Even more improvements

All the changes found in Windows 10 build 15007!

Games as a Service

What does the cancellation of Scalebound mean for future Xbox exclusives?

Windows Central Offers

Save $90 on these FRESHeBUDS Pro Magnetic Bluetooth Earbuds

Returning for 2017

We're back with an new episode of #AskDanWindows

Lifetime Subscription

VPNSecure is currently 91% off

Our favorite things

The Best of CES 2017 Awards

Infinity Edge in your hand

The XPS 13 2-in-1 is the Dell convertible we've always wanted

Project Valerie

Razer just made a laptop with three — THREE! — 17-inch 4K displays. 😱

Great design from Palo Alto

HP's CES 2017 releases are truly gorgeous PCs

Intel and Google's big day

CES 2017 Day Two: New laptops, new phones, and old ideas made new

Take five is better than ever

The updated Lenovo ThinkPad X1 packs Kaby Lake chips and zero bloatware

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio

UWPowered

'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will power Xbox One and Scorpio games too

Buyer's guide

Best accessories for Microsoft Surface Book

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Oxymoron428's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
       #1  
    The people hub is EXCELLENT! It notifies you with anyone's actions (upload photos, post on my timeline, tags, etc.), but it doesn't seen to notify me when I get a private message. Is there any way I can set it to do this?
  2. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    #2  
    Are you referring to Facebook messages? They come via your Messages hub (Messages > settings > Use Facebook Chat)
  3. Oxymoron428's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
       #3  
    Yes, I'm referring to the Facebook messages. But they don't come in my messages hub at all, and I have Facebook chat enabled :/

    I can send messages through Facebook chat in people hub, but if someone sends me a private message (by clicking, "send a private message" on my wall instead of clicking my Facebook chat icon), then I won't get it on my phone.
  4. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    #4  
    Don't think I've even got a "private message" option on my FB....
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron428 View Post
    Yes, I'm referring to the Facebook messages. But they don't come in my messages hub at all, and I have Facebook chat enabled :/

    I can send messages through Facebook chat in people hub, but if someone sends me a private message (by clicking, "send a private message" on my wall instead of clicking my Facebook chat icon), then I won't get it on my phone.
    You will get only messages from people who are "online" on their Facebook. Anyone appearing offline, won't be able to send the messages to your phone.

    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-se...-windows-phone
    Oxymoron428 likes this.
  6. Oxymoron428's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by markfive View Post
    Don't think I've even got a "private message" option on my FB....
    Remember back in the day before Facebook chat? Where you can just send a plain ol' message? Those messages.

    And thanks Rockstarzz. That's disappointing, but at least I know my phone doesn't have a problem. :)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron428 View Post
    Remember back in the day before Facebook chat? Where you can just send a plain ol' message? Those messages.

    And thanks Rockstarzz. That's disappointing, but at least I know my phone doesn't have a problem. :)
    If you have free SMS in plan, you can turn on facebook mobile and messages from people appearing offline will come through as a text that you can reply.
  8. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    #8  
    Pretty sure the People hub wouldn't be the place for this, but I'm split on the underlying point. On one hand, integration as a concept is highly appealing. On the other, I think the current system highlights how hard it is. The problem is simple: text messaging, Messenger and Facebook chat are three different services that are likely used in several different ways by a single user. That makes the integrated approach a hard problem to solve – perhaps too hard?

    My anecdote: as Facebook's messaging became integrated across chat+inbox a while ago, I use it primarily like email: if there's someone I'm perhaps not super-close to who I want to contact, I'll send them a Facebook message. Sometimes this will be for the intent of it ending up in their Facebook inbox, sometimes it will be when they are online on chat. As for Messenger / Skype, that's purely for instant messaging (especially with Skype's weird sync issues). Text messaging is for asynchronous communication with close friends.

    Because of this, I rarely make use of any of the Messaging integration on Windows Phone. I want text messaging to have that priority that I personally put on it, and not have it flooded by the messages from other services that I use for different purposes and to varying degrees.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    If you have free SMS in plan, you can turn on facebook mobile and messages from people appearing offline will come through as a text that you can reply.
    I have never thought of this. YOU sir deserve a baked good, or something equally great. Normally I would just pin the "messages" section of the Facebook app to the home screen, but I might be doin Facebook mobile now :)

    If you've used it before.... It will be a text just for the private messages I hope? And not include the chats?
  10. Oxymoron428's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadet Christmas View Post
    I have never thought of this. YOU sir deserve a baked good, or something equally great. Normally I would just pin the "messages" section of the Facebook app to the home screen, but I might be doin Facebook mobile now :)

    If you've used it before.... It will be a text just for the private messages I hope? And not include the chats?
    I think you could set it that way. I have it set so that only messages will appear.

    Thanks Rockstarzz :)
  11. sandmanfvr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #11  
    One feature that must be added. I think we should get Facebook messages, online or not, pushed down to the texting app. I have this happen and resort to the mobile site as my conversation was happening with a person that was not online just on mobile. Got real old, real fast. This, plus re-sharing, and new tagging features need to roll out to wp8 so that facebook feels complete. I love chatting online with Facebook friends, but without getting the whole experience it feels lacking.
  12. J4rrod's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    585 Posts
    Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    One feature that must be added. I think we should get Facebook messages, online or not, pushed down to the texting app. I have this happen and resort to the mobile site as my conversation was happening with a person that was not online just on mobile. Got real old, real fast. This, plus re-sharing, and new tagging features need to roll out to wp8 so that facebook feels complete. I love chatting online with Facebook friends, but without getting the whole experience it feels lacking.
    That feature already exists. Sign into the phone with your fb account and then go to messaging settings and turn on fb chat. Voila

Similar Threads

  1. People hub\facebook issues
    By sandman in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 02:24 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 01:02 AM
  4. People Hub
    By dogdude16 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions