Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ImmortalWarrior

I don't know how else to describe it but there are some apps, 3rd party and the like that require email registration. Pandora, Facebook, etc. The keyboard that comes up oftentimes is not the keyboard with the .com key. What you get is the standard keyboard. With that you have to do additional shifting, and typing to produce the .com.

There are other apps that raise the .com keyboard by default. I think it sloppy or lazy coding if the app requires an email address and it is not the keyboard raised. If it is available to developers, why not use it? It looks cleaner, more professional and the first presentation or introduction to your app. I think it should be the standard. Your thoughts?

The choice of keyboard (text, text with suggestions, email, numeric, etc) is up to the developer on a per-textbox basis. It may be lazy, it may be simplified cross-platform code, or it may be that the field is meant to sometimes hold non-email addresses.

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    Lazy or clueless devs. That's all. Microsoft can't dictate that.

so microsoft doesnt have any other jobs so they will check every app to figure out if they need a better keyboard? microsoft have other things to do, like adding features to wp.
    This is entirely the developer's fault. The official ebay app is the worst culprit for their poor keyboard selections in text fields.
    Jazmac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by farukdgn View Post
    so microsoft doesnt have any other jobs so they will check every app to figure out if they need a better keyboard? microsoft have other things to do, like adding features to wp.
    All apps pass through Microsoft's standards board. Microsoft and IOS have them. Android, don't really give a flick what you do but they have somewhat of a standard too. I'm saying require it as part of the standards certification process. Doesn't prevent Microsoft from doing other important work. This keeps the platform from becoming sloppy like what happened with Windows Mobile.