Moved from WebOS to WP8 - thoughts and questions

Church Punk

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello folks, (questions are on the bottom of message)

this is my first post on wpcentral, I bought my Nokia Limua 620 last week and have to say, I am pretty happy with it! :) Comming from a WebOS device, it was not hard at all to get used to the WP8 interface, which was quite the positive surprise to me. Though, I do miss a couple of features of my past devices, Palm Pre & HP Veer.

The one thing that makes me revive my Veer so bad is multitasking :(, and oh my, it was such a godsend on mobile devices, just to have it gone once again brings tears to my eyes :cry:... The only wish I had with WP8 would be: when doing the press+hold tap on the back button there should be an option to close the opened tasks, maybe not with a swipe, but how about a close button over the window or something, instead of selecting the app and going with the back arrow all the way to the start screen -.-

The other thing that I miss is the "just type" thing. It would search about anything in your phone (from contacts, to email, notes and even songs) and if you were looking for something in the internet then you just selected google or any other web search available; that right from the home screen. I feel like the search button on my 620 is just there wasting space, since I preffer google search instead of bing. I can live with the search being embeded with each app and having to go to each specifc app, but not to be able to change the search engine?... no no.

Notifications... where to start... I can't change the sound of incomming sms, email or else? I'm still learning which makes what sound, but is just plain sad that I can not customize that part of the phone. Toasts are also a bit intrusive (taking up part of the screen in a fullscreen app!). I like that the status bar is hidden and can be called with a tap on the top of the phone, but it should remain that way as standard... And say I am carefully reading an interresting post on WPC app and I don't see/hear or pay attention to the toast, how do i know what was it? Where is it now? How do i see it without leaving the app? Is there any kind of menu to see them? I find myself more often than not pressing the power button just to call my lock screen and see whats new in the notifications below the clock... but thats not so elegant.

Other than that, Nokia has done an excellent job with the Lumias (to my point of view). The maps/compass/navi apps are a big plus to the phone, the camera isn't that bad, and the screen looks pretty well in all kind of illuminations. A single charge lasts a day with normal use, which im happy with. And i can make my peace with the on-screen keyboard (though much less faster than a physical one). I would complain about the system storage, but since I'm not much into apps and stuff (got used to the stock apps from WebOS and a lack of good apps in the store :grincry:) I guess it is enough for me to have 8GB plus a SD card. Synchronization with my laptop is very easy, just plug and play without any driver install. The Windows Phone app works on Win7 and it lets me sync the music i want from my iTunes library directly to the SD card.

While it is a big upgrade from my Veer -hardwarewise-, it is still not quite the best replacement. MS has done a good job with the phones interface but I think it can be more refined in certain areas. Still, I am very happy I went ahead and chose WP8 instead of iOS or Droid :D

QUESTIONS:
Automation:
-Is there a way of silencing the phone during the night? An app maybe?
-Is it possible to have different "profiles" when plugin a pair of earphones/headphones to the 3,5mm audio jack to change the volume automatically? 22/30 is a bit loud when i hear music with earphones, and 5/30 is way too silent to hear any calls without them. I know windows 7 does this in my laptop, so why not in the phone too? :D

Thanks in advance for any tips that should ease my transition even more :wink:

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way of silencing the phone during the night? An app maybe?
- Press Vol Up or Down and tap on the icon in the top right corner (it will change from ring+vibrate > vibration etc)

Is it possible to have different "profiles" when plugin a pair of earphones/headphones to the 3,5mm audio jack to change the volume automatically? 22/30 is a bit loud when i hear music with earphones, and 5/30 is way too silent to hear any calls without them. I know windows 7 does this in my laptop, so why not in the phone too? :D
- Nothing like this at the moment

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on making it this long with webOS. I miss it too, I was a June 6th Sprint Pre buyer, waiting in line at 6 am and the whole deal. Best mobile OS there has been, just lack of good hardware and bad management. So sad.

I'm still with an android device so I don't have much advice on the switch. But I felt compelled to comment to another webOS fan.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah! webOS could have ruled! I too just switched 3 weeks ago, missing cards, Mode Switcher and many other homebrew improvements... But WP8 will hopefully provide more features with coming updates.

A real use for the hardware search button like Just Type and improved multi-tasking functionality would be awesome, and more important than individual message alerts. My five cents on this.

But I agree: Switching from wOS to WP is not a difficulty in itself. Reading through windowsphone.com helps a lot!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I switched from a palm pre to the Arrive on sprint when it launched. Long story short, I'm now at Verizon on an 8x. Love it. Yeah, still miss some of the things the pre did, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I have no plans to move on to another platform anytime soon, unless MS does the same moves as palm. But I don't see that happening.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I was forced to switch from my Pre3 to an 8x back in November. There is a lot I miss from WebOS, but you can't beat the difference in hardware. After a while, you grow accustomed to the shortcomings in WP8. Just make sure you customize your start screen so it works like you work. Just stop looking at your phone while on the wireless charger...it won't tell you ANYTHING! I miss exposition :(

Biggest thing I miss is getting my text messages on my tablet. I don't understand why I can't get text messages on my Surface Pro like I could with my touchpad... grrr...

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, but what I LOVE about wp8 - One Note! Man I love being able to write something on my surface and it automatically appears on my phone. Also, since I am not on an exchange server, I love having a unified calendar/contacts using the Hotmail connector on my other devices. Beats the hell out of having to sync everything with Pocket Mirror.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Biggest thing I miss is getting my text messages on my tablet. I don't understand why I can't get text messages on my Surface Pro like I could with my touchpad... grrr...

omg that is something I've wanted for a long time! The biggest reason I wanted to invest into webos! I hope Blue brings this to Windows!

gtief

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Me too, I switched from the Pre 2 to an L800, now L620. I like wp8, but I miss multitasking and just type, do you hear me, Mr. Apotheker ?

Traderhorn

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi had my Nokia 620 two weeks a good phone, use it for work, have not moved from webOS still use pre 3 /Touchpad,
webOS is good for multi tasking, and the card system is brilliant, and linking pre3 to Touchpad for calls/texts, as replacing them
would be difficult i now use Nokia 620 and surface RT as my main devices, shame they do not link as Touchpad/pre 3.

Church Punk

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am glad there are some fellow webos users here. Im convinced i made the right decision to move to WP8 :D after all.

Descanso

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
....i now use Nokia 620 and surface RT as my main devices, shame they do not link as Touchpad/pre 3.

But isn't that the definition of "ecosystem"? And if they don't work in cohesion as Touchpad/Pre do, do you really have an ecosystem? (I ask cause I don't know. Non-techie here who still uses a Pre but also use my Surface R/T, which I enjoy.) In short, why wouldn't I be able to access text messages on my Surface If I have a Windows Phone?.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Good to see a webos fan. I cried inside as a geek with the os died. The only multitasking that good is in blackberry 10 it seems. So many things were taken from webos and used in other os's like windows phone and blackberry 10, so I guess webos did something right. ;) Microsoft hopefully will be making windows phone more feature rich now toward September with Microsoft windows blue that unifies desktop, tablet (rt), and phone in one platform.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am glad there are some fellow webos users here. Im convinced i made the right decision to move to WP8 :D after all.

Yeah, there's a few of us who switched from WebOS.

I still miss it. Still the best operating system ever made for mobile phones.

As far as the closing cards thing, there's been a lot of discussion about it on WP boards. Some people get irrationally angry because, technically, there is no reason to close apps. They don't use any battery.

But, those people don't understand how great the cards were on WebOS. Closing an app by swiping is still the feature I miss most. Some people don't understand we might want 4 or 5 regular apps always easily accessible by just pushing the back button. Problem is now, only a limited number of apps are there when you press the back button. And they close on their own. Only a certain number can be there.

Hopefully it's something they change because it's great and convenient.

Personally, I'm not excited about WP8. The music situation is a nightmare and I have an 810 on Tmobile that may no longer receive updates because T Mobile just EOL'd it. Overall, I would say I'm disappointed in Windows Phone 8 and at this point regret my decision to switch to 8.

Hope you have better luck.

Church Punk

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, there's a few of us who switched from WebOS.

I still miss it. Still the best operating system ever made for mobile phones.

As far as the closing cards thing, there's been a lot of discussion about it on WP boards. Some people get irrationally angry because, technically, there is no reason to close apps. They don't use any battery.

But, those people don't understand how great the cards were on WebOS. Closing an app by swiping is still the feature I miss most. Some people don't understand we might want 4 or 5 regular apps always easily accessible by just pushing the back button. Problem is now, only a limited number of apps are there when you press the back button. And they close on their own. Only a certain number can be there.

Hopefully it's something they change because it's great and convenient.

Personally, I'm not excited about WP8. The music situation is a nightmare and I have an 810 on Tmobile that may no longer receive updates because T Mobile just EOL'd it. Overall, I would say I'm disappointed in Windows Phone 8 and at this point regret my decision to switch to 8.

Hope you have better luck.

I totally see your point, after the moves by Palm and HP afterwards I started to lose any hope i had left of a "perfect" mobile os... There is no such thing as a perfect OS anyways, you chose one from the market that are being offered, deal with the flaws and make your peace with it because it works for you.

I am actually tired of persuing the companies and waiting for a great phone... As long as i have descent signal while calling and remain connected with the interwebs im good to go, sadly enough... That is why i didnt chose a top of the line WP8 :S

Still, im happy with my nokia because it just works for me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre