WP8 Transition Problems

Danezilla

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'm a new WP8 user and I recently got the Nokia Lumia 920. Now I'm very familiar with the Windows Phone OS because before the 920 I had a Lumia 900 running on 7.5 Mango for 2 months and I absolutely loved it. But the thing is my 920 has many differences that make my experience with WP8 horrible. :unhappysweat:

First thing really is the apps. With the Lumia 900 I could use apps like Nokia Music and Xbox Smartglass without problems. Here in WP8 however, I discovered that these apps are restricted in my region. It doesn't make sense because I was able to use them perfectly fine with the 900. So the obvious solution there was to change my region to the United States (I am from the Philippines, my unit is from Hong Kong) and restart the phone. I was able to download the apps, but the services were not available. Nokia Music is just a blank space that lets me play music that I imported to the phone, there is no longer a free streaming service. Xbox Smartglass was able to run, but had trouble connecting to my console even though my console detects it. I guess it is the phone.

Second is the transition from Zune to that stupid Windows Phone desktop app. I loved Zune, it was organized and it was smooth like Windows. The new WP app is horrible at organizing and is so confusing, it doesn't even detect my music playlists so I am unable to transfer ANY of my music to my 920. With the Zune app all I had to do was drag and place, EZ BREEZY.

Lastly is the emoticons. The automatic smiley system has disappeared and my beloved monochromatic white smileys present in 7.5 have been replaced with yellow cartoony ones. The main issue with me is that with the 900, whenever I type a smiley like ":)", it would automatically be converted into a real monochromatic smiley whenever I send a message. This is such a huge issue for me and I've been fiddling with my phone for hours end just to find someway to get the old system back. I love those white smileys, you see. And I have no idea why Microsoft just... removed that "feature".

I love my Lumia 920 and WP8, don't get me wrong. But these little nitpicks have been bugging me for the past days and I just realized how amazing WP7.5 was when compared to this.

And it hurts because it took a lot of compromises and a lot of waiting from me just to get this phone. :cry:

If you guys have any solutions for my problems, please, that would be VERY helpful!

Thank you everyone!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm a new WP8 user and I recently got the Nokia Lumia 920. Now I'm very familiar with the Windows Phone OS because before the 920 I had a Lumia 900 running on 7.5 Mango for 2 months and I absolutely loved it. But the thing is my 920 has many differences that make my experience with WP8 horrible. :unhappysweat:

First thing really is the apps. With the Lumia 900 I could use apps like Nokia Music and Xbox Smartglass without problems. Here in WP8 however, I discovered that these apps are restricted in my region. It doesn't make sense because I was able to use them perfectly fine with the 900. So the obvious solution there was to change my region to the United States (I am from the Philippines, my unit is from Hong Kong) and restart the phone. I was able to download the apps, but the services were not available. Nokia Music is just a blank space that lets me play music that I imported to the phone, there is no longer a free streaming service. Xbox Smartglass was able to run, but had trouble connecting to my console even though my console detects it. I guess it is the phone.

Second is the transition from Zune to that stupid Windows Phone desktop app. I loved Zune, it was organized and it was smooth like Windows. The new WP app is horrible at organizing and is so confusing, it doesn't even detect my music playlists so I am unable to transfer ANY of my music to my 920. With the Zune app all I had to do was drag and place, EZ BREEZY.

Lastly is the emoticons. The automatic smiley system has disappeared and my beloved monochromatic white smileys present in 7.5 have been replaced with yellow cartoony ones. The main issue with me is that with the 900, whenever I type a smiley like ":)", it would automatically be converted into a real monochromatic smiley whenever I send a message. This is such a huge issue for me and I've been fiddling with my phone for hours end just to find someway to get the old system back. I love those white smileys, you see. And I have no idea why Microsoft just... removed that "feature".

I love my Lumia 920 and WP8, don't get me wrong. But these little nitpicks have been bugging me for the past days and I just realized how amazing WP7.5 was when compared to this.

And it hurts because it took a lot of compromises and a lot of waiting from me just to get this phone. :cry:

If you guys have any solutions for my problems, please, that would be VERY helpful!

Thank you everyone!
Regional restrictions. Which is why 7.8 is kinda your last mercy. Everything regional free can be understand as a courtesy for past WP supporters.

Zune can be replaced by WMP easily for music only purpose. For the WP8 however you can also do drag and drop, both with WMP and explorer.

Emoticons. Yellow ones are just a redesign of the monochrome ones. Yes you like the monochrome ones but some other like the yellow ones better. And they function the same way, dont really understand whats your complaint aside that is it yellow and kinda different design. No feature is losing here.

Danezilla

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have tried dragging and dropping, but not all videos are supported. Most of my videos are MKV and AVI, with only some being MP4. The Mp4 files work great, but it's such a hassle to do this manually and convert all these files into MP4.

As for the emoticons, I think you misunderstood me. I never said I didn't like the new ones, I just don't like the fact that whenever I type a smiley face ( :) for example) it does not get converted into an actual symbol. I loved this "feature" because what was sent to the person was just the ":)" but I can see it as a smiley, an actual emoticon. It's really hard to explain, but I hope you understand.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

Now you don?t even need the soft, just connect the phone to the PC, and it will be detected as an external storage. Drag and drop the music there.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro